Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 3.0 Beta Now Available!  (Read 52685 times)

madmanchan

• Web
Lightroom 3.0 Beta Now Available!
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2009, 11:49:07 pm »

Barry, it's not that we don't like Linux, but I hope you would agree that some of the other things you have requested in this thread (and in the past) would have higher priority. As you can imagine, the underlying image rendering code would be easy to port, but all the UI and related driver work would divert a lot of resources from other work.

T-1000, when LR 3 ships, there will be a version of CR plug-in that provides rendering parity (i.e., so you get the same processing from both). That's what we try to do with every LR major and minor (i.e., dot) release, and we intend to keep them synced up that way.

photodan, there have been no changes to A900 color in 2.5 or 3 beta. But I hear what you're asking for ...
Eric Chan

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2009, 03:21:51 am »

The difference in image quality when rendered with the new engine on Canon 5D MKII files on beauty pictures is a HUGE improvement.
For those who say the features list is not enough , well maybe but if my images are going to come out that much better I can see every reason professionally and for the interest of image quality to upgrade.

The sharpening is even better than before, transitions, excellent noise reduction ( compared to LR 2), and I like the grain sliders for legacy film scans or flat digital greyscale conversions.

I don't like the new import UI at all, but maybe I haven't understood it yet.

It also works extremely well with the X-Rite Passport profiles created LR2 in studio, I just tried. I haven't yet tried to install Passport in LR 3 beta or if it works as a plug in there.

The previews are a bit jumpy, and they are not redrawing on the second monitor all the time. I found if I turn off the second monitor it works much better.

rickk

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2009, 09:05:31 am »

As Neil mentioned, any improvement in quality of the results is always appreciated, even when not obvious in every image.

And thanks to Eric and Jeff for their behind-the-scenes insights.

Rick

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2009, 09:26:09 am »

Quote from: neil snape
It also works extremely well with the X-Rite Passport profiles created LR2 in studio, I just tried. I haven't yet tried to install Passport in LR 3 beta or if it works as a plug in there.

Hi Neil, it may be necessary for X-Rite to update the plug-in (due to updates in the plug-in SDK). I'll follow up with them.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 09:27:16 am by madmanchan »
Eric Chan

ElisemkII

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2009, 09:39:37 am »

With my Leica M8 looking at the same 640iso image I've found more croma noise in the darks area vs 2.5 engine.
The detail is more ore less the same.
sharpening seems to be better as noise reduction.

ciao

alberto

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2009, 10:36:31 am »

I REALLY like it.  I can't wait for the real deal.  The new processing/rendering path has noticeable impact on fine detail and I'm impressed.

I especially like being able to see the impact of sharpening at magnifications other than 100% in the Develop Module.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2009, 12:11:31 pm »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
I especially like being able to see the impact of sharpening at magnifications other than 100% in the Develop Module.

That really is a dual edged sword though...while you _ARE_ seeing the results at other than 1:1, it's not terribly accurate if you are in a view other than 1:1. So I wouldn't suggest any "fine tuning" of the sharpening at anything other than 1:1. The Fit and Fill screen dither are using downsampling algorithms that will either under or over emphasize the impact of the sharpening.

Also note that the full impact of the improved demosiacing, sharpening and noise reduction hasn't shown up yet although you've gotten a hint at what's to come with the color noise reduction. The Luminance Noise Reduction should take the current IQ and push it to superb IQ levels. Kinda hate to make a prediction but I suspect when LR 3 comes out you'll be seeing a whole new level of image quality (which BTW will also be there in the next major version of Camera Raw).

:~)

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2009, 12:35:27 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
That really is a dual edged sword though...while you _ARE_ seeing the results at other than 1:1, it's not terribly accurate if you are in a view other than 1:1. So I wouldn't suggest any "fine tuning" of the sharpening at anything other than 1:1.
Totally understood - I have been paying attention.    

I think this is better and I assume I'm not the only one who was switching to Library just to get that hint of a better perspective on the final rendering.  After every round of edits, I like to see a rendering at 100%, 50% and then 'fit to screen' to see the whole image ... even if not perfect, I'd like each rendering to try and be consistent with each other.

Particularly 50%, which I have always found gave me a very nice idea in Photoshop (with soft-proofing) of what a print was gonna look like.

smahn

« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2009, 12:54:42 pm »

Speaking of sharpening, why "capture" and "output" but no "creative" sharpening?

Peter S

« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2009, 12:58:11 pm »

Quote from: madmanchan
Barry, I can assure you that with the new demosaic method in LR 3 public beta, there is zero baseline noise reduction being applied (meaning that when the Color slider is set to 0, color NR is entirely off, and luminance NR is completely off), with the exception of hot/dead pixel elimination. In fact, this property came precisely out of request that you and others have made, coupled with our own internal developments on the engine. If you have an example raw file that you can use to demonstrate your concern, I'd be happy to study it.

Eric,

Can you enlighten me please?  I have noticed that when high iso, long exposure RAWs are rendered a significant number of coloured spots appear on screen and then vanish when the rendering has finished.  Is this the automatic NR at work or is it something else?  I never normally see any hot/dead pixels.

I am using a 5D MKII and an iMac.

Kind regards
Peter
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:58:49 pm by Peter S »

Schewe

« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2009, 01:34:43 pm »

Quote from: smahn
Speaking of sharpening, why "capture" and "output" but no "creative" sharpening?

I guess you haven't tried the new local sharpening in 3.0 yet huh? It's been changed (improved) as well...

knweiss

« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2009, 01:41:15 pm »

One more thing: I was just exporting a couple of pictures with my 8 core Mac Pro (Mac OS X 10.6.1, LR3 64-bit, 10GB RAM). While LR is using 8 cores during the export unfortunately it does not manage to keep all 8 cores busy all of the time. With "top" I see 8 running threads only some fraction of the time and the load average is far from 8. IMHO it shouldn't be too hard to keep all cores busy during a large export as this is a cpu-bound process. Exporting could be much faster.

Sunesha

• http://sunesha.se
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2009, 02:16:15 pm »

The rendering has really improved. I see this in my landscape photos, especially in distant grass and trees that they are clearer. I dont shoot much high ISO, but those photos I have really improved as always used the chroma noise reduction slider.

It will be fun to see what the future holds.

My biggest wish for Lightrom expect color proofing must be perspective correction tool and a lens correction tool. If had this photoshop would only be used for my more retouching photos.
Daniel Sunebring, Malmoe, Sweden
Homepag

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2009, 03:13:52 pm »

Haven't had a chance to take it for a spin yet, but if rendering is as smooth and detailed as Capture One, I may finally be able to shake the Corel inspired interface of Phase One.  I'm only using a P30, so every pixel has more asked of it than with some cameras, but have never found that my files look as clean when processed with LR.  Although I guess I've finally gotten used to the Capture One interface, I won't miss it a bit if I can finally stick with LR full time. <fingers crossed>
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Schewe

« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2009, 03:18:54 pm »

Quote from: Colorwave
Haven't had a chance to take it for a spin yet, but if rendering is as smooth and detailed as Capture One, I may finally be able to shake the Corel inspired interface of Phase One.

Well, instead of talkin' about it, download that sucker and see for your own darn self!

:~)

smahn

« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2009, 04:38:46 pm »

I guess you haven't tried the new local sharpening in 3.0 yet huh? It's been changed (improved) as well...

You got me. I don't typically do local adjustments in LR, but it's time I try. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

smahn

« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2009, 05:16:04 pm »

You got me. I don't typically do local adjustments in LR, but it's time I try. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

BTW, Jeff, I'm a little underwhelmed by the degree of user control of that local sharpening. How about you?

boneywhitefoot

• http://lightchasers-nz.com
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2009, 06:11:31 pm »

cant wait for the slideshow thingie
God made two great lights; the sun to rule by day and the moon to rule by night. He also made the stars.

And He set them all in the heavens to give light upon the earth; And God saw that it was good.

Ive seen the light and it is indeed very good

http://www.lightchasers-nz.com/

Schewe

« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2009, 06:17:33 pm »

BTW, Jeff, I'm a little underwhelmed by the degree of user control of that local sharpening. How about you?

And exactly how long have you been using it?

smahn

« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2009, 06:41:17 pm »

And exactly how long have you been using it?

Am I to assume from this that more numerous controls will appear with increased use?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up