Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Annoying LightRoom 1 - problems  (Read 2794 times)

BrianWoolf

2 Annoying LightRoom 1 - problems
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:38:43 pm »

Guys,
I shoot a lot of repetitive things, badges and seals, plus I bracket my exposures, so I get a lot of small images in the filmstrip that look alike. In the Filmstrip on the bottom, when i send a file into Photoshop, it seems to stick the file at the end of the filmstrip and moves me there. I lose my place and am now forced to write down file numbers so I can go back to the place I was working. I could be doing 30 images and going back and forth 30 times is a waste. There is a stack button, but on or off I still get taken to the end of the filmstrip.

Is there a way to stay where I am working in the filmstrip. Might Lightroom 2 solve this problem.

Second problem - when I output a file from Lightroom to photoshop the default DPI is 240, I work in the catalog printing industry where the default dpi is 300. I know that there is a panel somewhere in Lightroom that allows you to change the output dpi and I did it. But that didn't stick, it worked for one file or maybe it was one session but when I opened Lightroom the next time it was back to 240dpi.

Can 300 dpi output be set permanently, somehow, someway.

Is there a good Lightroom book
I do have Michael's Lightroom1 Beta video, it's a good overview but hard to find particular info, quickly.

Thanks for any help,
Brian Woolf

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 05:43:57 am »

Quote from: BrianWoolf
In the Filmstrip on the bottom, when i send a file into Photoshop, it seems to stick the file at the end of the filmstrip and moves me there.
Maybe you sorted your grid view with the default 'import time' parameter... Sorting it by capture time (you have to go to grid view to change it) should resolve the problem then.

I know that there is a panel somewhere in Lightroom that allows you to change the output dpi and I did it. But that didn't stick, it worked for one file or maybe it was one session but when I opened Lightroom the next time it was back to 240dpi.
In LR2 it's just a matter of saving it into a export preset, and I think it's sticky (in a catalog) too. I don't remember if there were export presets in LR1, but would think so.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:45:18 am »

John Shaw has released a Lightroom ebook which should help you.  Keep in mind that you won't find much help with Lightroom 1 as they are now up to version 2.5 and 3 beta has been released.  Version 2 is a huge improvement over version 1 and I would encourage an upgrade.

BrianWoolf

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 09:08:22 pm »

Tried the grid sort, sorting by file name, didn't seem to work out, but only did it one time, As far as the 300dpi thing goes, I would have to set it each time I used it and for every folder, I worked in, via the 'export' button. I thought this computer business was supposed to take are of this kind of drudgery.

Well, I guess i will have to upgrade to Lightroom 2.5 is it, and beta 3 is out - what to do, what to do? I have upgrade-itis shell shock, everytime a major or even minor change happens, upgrade everything. So with me its one upgrade this month, one the next. I think I got Photoshop at v2.5, that's a lot of upgrades, along the years and I have a fair amount of all kinds of software.

Thanks for the help,
Brian Woolf

aduke

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 01:23:02 am »

Perhaps what you're looking for is in Edit > Preferences > External Editing. It is in the Beta and was probably there from the beginning.

I found it in the Preferences because the External Editing setup was not transferred from LR2.5.

Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up