Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon service - alwayas so slow?  (Read 1916 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Nikon service - alwayas so slow?
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:26:03 pm »

I sent a Nikkor 24mm PC lens in to have the tilt and shift put into the same orientation - and that was 6 weeks ago. When I call, the people answering the phone do not seem to be at the actual service center - they can tell me the lens was received but nothing about when I'll get it back. Is this typical? It really stinks IMO. Any ideas how I can find out more or speed things up?

schrodingerscat

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 11:32:43 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
I sent a Nikkor 24mm PC lens in to have the tilt and shift put into the same orientation - and that was 6 weeks ago. When I call, the people answering the phone do not seem to be at the actual service center - they can tell me the lens was received but nothing about when I'll get it back. Is this typical? It really stinks IMO. Any ideas how I can find out more or speed things up?

The call center is in the Bahamas and the people answering the phones have little knowledge other than the information on the monitor in front of them, like most outsourced call centers. Even dealers have a hard time getting any further. If they are waiting on parts from Japan, be prepared for a very long wait. To find out, try moving up the food chain by asking for a supervisor right at the start. Doesn't hurt to let them know you're rather unhappy with the situation.

PeterAit

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 08:37:28 am »

Quote from: schrodingerscat
The call center is in the Bahamas and the people answering the phones have little knowledge other than the information on the monitor in front of them, like most outsourced call centers. Even dealers have a hard time getting any further. If they are waiting on parts from Japan, be prepared for a very long wait. To find out, try moving up the food chain by asking for a supervisor right at the start. Doesn't hurt to let them know you're rather unhappy with the situation.

I'll try what you suggest. In theory I don't need parts because it is an adjustment and not a repair. But, it's frustrating to spend $2000 on the lens and not be able to use it!

Thanks

Hank

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 09:33:42 am »

I've always had really fast service, usually getting an emailed cost quote and request for authorization to proceed within a day or two of their receipt of the item.  When questions arise, I email them along with the reference number for my work order.  Responses come within 24 hours.  I think the longest I've had to wait for anything added up to less than 2 weeks round trip from my doorstep and back again.

Have you tried emailing your questions to them and referencing your work order number?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:34:11 am by Hank »

Downtown

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 11:10:19 am »

Quote from: PeterAit

I know it's to late now but did you ever think of doing it yourself? See the attached link ;
http://www.motifnation.hu/index.php/type/concept/64/535

For the daring not worried about voiding warranty!

PeterAit

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 11:21:27 am »

Quote from: Hank
I've always had really fast service, usually getting an emailed cost quote and request for authorization to proceed within a day or two of their receipt of the item.  When questions arise, I email them along with the reference number for my work order.  Responses come within 24 hours.  I think the longest I've had to wait for anything added up to less than 2 weeks round trip from my doorstep and back again.

Have you tried emailing your questions to them and referencing your work order number?

That's a good idea, but I don;t have an email address. Can you please post it?

Hank

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 11:30:48 am »

Uh oh.

Sounds as though you might not have gone through the "official" process for submitting your lens.  Did you go to the tech support section of the Nikon site first--- before shipping off your lens?  They have a procedure, by which you submit an email query and they respond with a PDF mailing label and tracking #.  You ship off your gear with the printed label on the package, and when they receive it they respond back by email.  At that time they tell you what's wrong, how much it will cost to fix (if not under warranty), and asking for your authorization to proceed.  All further communications will be via that email contact, always with reference to your order number.

If none of that was done, I can only suggest that you go to the Nikon site and use the email features there to try and help them sort out your repair order.
Pages: [1]   Go Up