Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which x-rite product?  (Read 3409 times)

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Which x-rite product?
« on: October 21, 2009, 06:28:27 pm »

I apologize if this is buried somewhere; I've read so many posts that flirt with the topic I've gotten myself more confused.  Color Munki, i1 display 2, i1 basic, i1 pro...

I have a unibody 17 mbp, so I need to calibrate an LED screen.  Tried my Spyder2pro but that didn't perform well at all.  In the near future I will be getting an epson 7900 to replace my no-longer-supported 2200 (snow leopard; well at least not supported today.  But I need an excuse to upgrade anyway, it's long overdue).  However, I don't plan to do any printer profiling, assuming the 7900 performs as expected.

From x-rite's website:

"In house testing has demonstrated that LED backlit displays can be successfully calibrated and profiled using both colorimeter (i1Display 2, ColorMunki Create) and spectrophotometer (i1Pro, ColorMunki Photo and ColorMunki Design) instruments."

Is that correct?  I've been leaning towards the i1 basic, thinking the spectro would work better than something like the colorMunki.

Any suggestions?

Dave

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Which x-rite product?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 01:19:42 pm »

Quote from: dchew
I apologize if this is buried somewhere; I've read so many posts that flirt with the topic I've gotten myself more confused.  Color Munki, i1 display 2, i1 basic, i1 pro...

I have a unibody 17 mbp, so I need to calibrate an LED screen.  Tried my Spyder2pro but that didn't perform well at all.  In the near future I will be getting an epson 7900 to replace my no-longer-supported 2200 (snow leopard; well at least not supported today.  But I need an excuse to upgrade anyway, it's long overdue).  However, I don't plan to do any printer profiling, assuming the 7900 performs as expected.

From x-rite's website:

"In house testing has demonstrated that LED backlit displays can be successfully calibrated and profiled using both colorimeter (i1Display 2, ColorMunki Create) and spectrophotometer (i1Pro, ColorMunki Photo and ColorMunki Design) instruments."

Is that correct?  I've been leaning towards the i1 basic, thinking the spectro would work better than something like the colorMunki.

Any suggestions?

Dave

I am just comparing different settings and 4 different devices, 2 CM, i1 PRo, i1D2. All on a MBP 15 LED.

Seems that inter-instrument agreement or deviation is larger than one would think. The color correction and results though are very similar. The best is the i1D2, with Match, the CM with the latest soft 1.1.1 which came out the 11th October 2009, and the i1PRo with Match just behind. The differences are mostly in lightness, the i1PRo seems to be much brighter or lighter than the other calibrations.

So I do believe the CM is the best value, as it does a decent job on MBP screens and then much more in print profiles, and also other spot measurements, even projectors.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Which x-rite product?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 05:53:21 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
I am just comparing different settings and 4 different devices, 2 CM, i1 PRo, i1D2. All on a MBP 15 LED.

Seems that inter-instrument agreement or deviation is larger than one would think. The color correction and results though are very similar. The best is the i1D2, with Match, the CM with the latest soft 1.1.1 which came out the 11th October 2009, and the i1PRo with Match just behind. The differences are mostly in lightness, the i1PRo seems to be much brighter or lighter than the other calibrations.

So I do believe the CM is the best value, as it does a decent job on MBP screens and then much more in print profiles, and also other spot measurements, even projectors.

Interesting... Is i1D2 doing well with white point calibration on LED MBP? What about the profiles it creates? I've tested Spyder3 on wide gamut Eizo SX2462W, and the profile it created was weird, while i1pro and CM gave virtually identical results (similar to the factory profile).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 05:53:39 pm by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Which x-rite product?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 07:01:57 pm »

Quote from: Czornyj
Interesting... Is i1D2 doing well with white point calibration on LED MBP?

The one time I tried, it didn't do a good job. Could be the MBP too, this was a good year and a half ago. I suspect the Munki and I know the EyeOne Pro will do the job.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Which x-rite product?
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 10:02:46 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
The one time I tried, it didn't do a good job. Could be the MBP too, this was a good year and a half ago. I suspect the Munki and I know the EyeOne Pro will do the job.
Andrew and others:

Thanks for all the feedback.  Looks like I will go with the i1 Basic, which includes the i1pro spectro, iMatch software, targets and a few other things.

That way I'm sure to get decent monitor calibrations and can expand as I move along.

Ciao,

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up