Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why the reviewers didn't get their 828s  (Read 2390 times)

Scott_H

Why the reviewers didn't get their 828s
« on: December 23, 2003, 08:31:00 pm »

I wonder how much the camera manufacturers are struggling with timing right now.  Not just getting the product to market, but when they annouce the new models, and when they release them to reviewers.  It seems like the rapid dissemination of information on the internet is something they are struggling with a bit.
[url=http://scottsblog.my-expressions.co

Matthew Cromer

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 06:57:39 pm »

Michael, I strongly the reason you didn't get your 828 until very recently is they have had horrible QA problems with the camera.  A glance at the DPReview Sony forum is full of people with complaints.

Many of the early purchasers have horrible CA issues at the full wide and full telephoto ends of the lens.  Some seem to have much better samples.  I'm hoping you got a good one.

I got mine Thursday night and took it for a weekend shoot in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.  I really like the camera, but my unit has horrific CA at the extreme focal lengths, even stopped down fully.  Got an RMA tonight and I'm sending it back as soon as I can find a shipping place that's open.

I found the resolution and detail very strong and love the colors.  Made my best prints ever after correcting out the nasty purple CA.  I'm definitely picking up another if/when I can find one where the CA is under control.

Looking forward to seeing what your experience is.

Matthew Cromer

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 09:34:25 pm »

I'm sure being in a rush with "internet time" and the need to "scoop" rivals is a big drive to premature release of cameras before they are ready.

I just pulled off my first 13x17 from the weekend's shoot off my 2200 and I'm almost crying that I have to send it back.  My other camera is a Sony 717 and it can't hold a candle for landscape prints.   But I can't live with the CA from my 828.

I sure hope I can track down another one soon (one with controlled CA) because I love this camera.
Pages: [1]   Go Up