Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New 13inch white MacBook - no Firewire!  (Read 6742 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
New 13inch white MacBook - no Firewire!
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 11:57:42 pm »

Quote from: narikin
huh? have you looked at the specs of the new machines. the new 13" white model is identical to the base 13" alu 'pro' one, except for the firewire and SD card slot (and the pro costs $50 more for a 250gb drive)
Same processor, same LED screen, same drives, same graphic card, same memory, same size.  you are just forced to pay $250  more for Firewire, that's it. shameful.
oh, and you get an alu shell, though I prefer the look of the white model. the alu housing is going to date very quickly just like all those stainless steel kitchens in 90's interiors.

the problem with Apple is just this - lack of choice. three machines that are what we tell you they are. that's it.
you want firewire - the bus we pushed hard at you 10 years ago? too bad. we've decided that you don't, or must pay hundreds $ extra to get it, and it alone.
its indefensible. let the customer choose.

Of course you are considering the current generation MacBook vs. the almost previous generation MacBook Pro, which most likely will be refreshed in the next few months.   Traditionally this means the faster MacBook Pro moves down a notch with possibly a newer graphic card and a few other things (including a firewire port)  -  a couple of hundred dollars more than a MacBook and a substantial difference.  For those needing to maximize their portable power you can upgrade to a faster MacBook Pro, and once the refresh comes along (January seems to be Apples favorite month to refresh some of the pro machines) rumors are it may include  a quad core processor.  If you don't wait, the current MacBook Pro still allows you to put in 8 gigs of RAM, has a faster model available if you want, and has a backlit keyboard which I personally hate to think of giving up.

I can't find the specs, but I also would need verification that they share the same "screen". While it might be true they are both LED backlit and the same size, and it seems logical they are the very same screen, it very well could be the actual panel uses different technologies.

As far as the firewire, the reality is only a miniscule number of users have a firewire device, or even a firewire cable.  Firewire is rapidly moving into a niche market (of which we photographers are a part of).  This machine is designed as a budget level entry machine for families and students.  I believe the handwriting is on the wall for firewire ... even apple is aggressively working on next generation technology with Intel that would replace almost all of the connectors (USB, Firewire and display). Light Peak I'm sure others are working on better technology as well ... Firewire is actually getting a little long in the tooth and really not that impressive by todays standards.

As far as the stainless steel kitchens, they didn't go out of style ... stainless steel just got too expensive so it went out for a while.  A majority of high end homes use brushed stainless steel for appliances now and have for some time - Just go take a look at companies like Sub Zero.  The Aluminum Mac Pro I believe is now the longest running housing design of any mac model, and I don't think it is anywhere close to running out of steam ... (that's just my opinion, which last time i checked was worth at best a 2 bits on a good day)

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 12:04:34 am »

Quote from: narikin
this is getting tedious.
the point is a good and valid one - they should have left Firewire on there.

Agreed but I'd bet FW400 is a thing of the past in under 18 months.

Last week I bought 2 more 1TB G-Tech external drives and FW 400 port is now gone-
2 FW 800,1 USB 2.0, 1eSata is the current connectivity setup

Mark

Fritzer

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 11:01:45 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Firewire is actually getting a little long in the tooth and really not that impressive by todays standards.

What amazes me, though, is that Firewire still is the fastest, most user-friendly and most versatile connection available for external devices - unless you are a big company and can afford and maintain more advanced technology.

USB is a dog, eSata never quite made it into mainstream, and wireless connections are buggy and slow.
There simply is no decent alternative to Firewire available .

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 02:45:46 pm »

Quote from: Fritzer
There simply is no decent alternative to Firewire available .

True.  So far ...

narikin

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 11:15:35 am »

I gave up and bought one of the old machines on sale in apple store - they are now found under 'refurbished' though they are brand new.
a bargain at $699 for white one with 160Gb drive and the 2.16Ghz processor. am happy to have avoided the price bump and kept Firewire for my phase back.

also prefer the non unibody for a very good reason - removing the hard drive is really easy on the older (last month!) white model.
so when SSD drives become cheap and easy in good capacities, I can swap it out myself in 5 minutes.

that and the price!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up