Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HOw would you call and/or credit the person who does retouching and colour correction of images....  (Read 5449 times)

yes

How would you credit the person who does retouching and colour correction of images
-in a publication
-in an exhibition
-or in a portfolio considered as artwork?

What about thes following expressions:

Scan and Image correction
Preprint processing
Digital Imaging or
Digital Processing?

how would you call the person who does this work (not the action)?
is it like this that a human becomes a processor?

thank you for your suggestions and help!

Dansk

Meh... Unless there is a composite being rendered or some radical improvements being performed by the retoucher then I dont think they should get credit for anything. I never credited my lab ever for any of my work when it was film why the heck would I credit a "retoucher" which... is me anyways so this point is moot for me. I do know some very talented digital artists who do far more than retouching although when i work with them they dont get credit for anything. The credit is in the paycheck

tived

• http://

Quote from: Dansk
Meh... Unless there is a composite being rendered or some radical improvements being performed by the retoucher then I dont think they should get credit for anything. I never credited my lab ever for any of my work when it was film why the heck would I credit a "retoucher" which... is me anyways so this point is moot for me. I do know some very talented digital artists who do far more than retouching although when i work with them they dont get credit for anything. The credit is in the paycheck

Dansk,

I hope you are not danish, because what a disgrace you would be. Why should we credit photographers in books and other written materials, after all they are not the ones writting the stories.

Its like the movie director doesn't credit the camera man or his personal assistant, they do because they were all part of getting the image/movie/project to its final stage.

Your lab, you could credit...

obviously you see things differently - but I would say, give credit where credit is due!

Henrik

tived

Quote from: yes
How would you credit the person who does retouching and colour correction of images
-in a publication
-in an exhibition
-or in a portfolio considered as artwork?

What about thes following expressions:

Scan and Image correction
Preprint processing
Digital Imaging or
Digital Processing?

how would you call the person who does this work (not the action)?
is it like this that a human becomes a processor?

thank you for your suggestions and help!

Hi Yes,

you can refer to this person as your digital retoucher or digital artist, its a broad function. I do this for peoples books, exhibitions or portfolios. They use these names or for books its artwork and cmyk conversions.

I think its great that you are acknowledging people who help you archive your goals

regards

Henrik

Dansk

Quote from: tived
Dansk,

I hope you are not danish, because what a disgrace you would be. Why should we credit photographers in books and other written materials, after all they are not the ones writting the stories.

Its like the movie director doesn't credit the camera man or his personal assistant, they do because they were all part of getting the image/movie/project to its final stage.

Your lab, you could credit...

obviously you see things differently - but I would say, give credit where credit is due!

Henrik

When was the last time you saw a photo credit on an advertising piece? In my world credit is far and few between and ONLY given when the credit helps sell the brand/and or product etc. I am not in the fine art world so credit to me is non existent and thats the point i was trying to make. No need to get yourself in a tizzy and start name slinging I was rushing through here earlier looking for comments about the new 1Dmk4 and saw this thread and dropped a quick comment. I suppose I could have been clearer, especially now that I re-read the OP's question about intended destination for this work which I missed. So in retrospect I say credit them all if you like. What can it hurt?

yes

In my case it is about crediting in the context of the production of artwork.
the person who does retouching and color correction does a huge amount of work, but I can't find the correct term in english that would express his work accordingly.

In German you have the choice between Bildbearbeitung and Reinzeichnung
in French people generally use Photogravure
and what do the english people say? It seems like the english are like the danish and just don't credit anyone  This is of course a joke!

anyways thank you for your reactions

tived

Quote from: yes
In my case it is about crediting in the context of the production of artwork.
the person who does retouching and color correction does a huge amount of work, but I can't find the correct term in english that would express his work accordingly.

In German you have the choice between Bildbearbeitung and Reinzeichnung
in French people generally use Photogravure
and what do the english people say? It seems like the english are like the danish and just don't credit anyone  This is of course a joke!

anyways thank you for your reactions

Hi Yes,

I am danish but working in Australia, I do retouching work for both photographers, publishers and other persons or organisations that requires, work done in Color management, color corrections, image manipulation  (eg moving pixels) getting things ready for print.

Retoucher is often the title people here use.
However, you may want to add that the person or company had done retouching, color correction and perhaps CMYK preparation.

"Retouching, Color Corrections and CMYK conversion by Henrik Tived"
"Digital Artwork by Henrik Tived"

and for DANSK, no this is not done for individual images credited in newspapers or advertising, but it is done in larger projects, such as book, portfolios, exhibitions etc...

I hope this is of some help

as an example
Patrick Brown, who won the WorldPress 2006 award, credit'ed us on the Mediastorm website, not for our specific work, but with a collection of people who helped him complete his project. he was the photographer, and the main man. the rest of us were support.

take care

Henrik

MarkIV

If they worked the image from a raw file, how about "image developer" instead of the colder sounding "processor."

rovanpera

With some fashion editorials they also use the term "printing by xxxx", I guess it makes it sound like the photos are not heavily manipulated, which they of course are...

jjlphoto

In Irving Penn's book Passage, he went to great length to credit the people behind the scenes that made those BW images look so incredible.

I also just reviewed Bill Atkinson's PDF release of Making Within the Stone, and he gives lengthy acknowledgment to the press house that created the custom inkset that made his book look he way it did.

When artists create multiples (whether they are lithographs, itaglios, etc.), the edition itself often has the makers mark on the piece.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 09:37:35 am by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP
Pages: [1]   Go Up