Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Desert report requested  (Read 4400 times)

didger

Desert report requested
« on: March 09, 2005, 02:17:01 am »

I live in Joshua Tree.  There's no flowers here yet, but the low desert is already so green you'd think you're in Ireland or New Zealand and there's also quite a lot of flowers, but it'll be much better in another month or so.  Joshua Tree (the town) has no flowers yet and the peak is probably at least a month away and maybe longer for Joshua Tree National Park (higher altitude).  I've never seen the area here so green in my 35 years of living here.  It should be all time phenomenal for flowers over the coming weeks.  I'll have to take time out from my Sierra snow shooting when it really starts to happen.

Other desert areas may already be peaking.  For constantly updated wildflower photo info for California, Go Here

I need a few clones.  I want to do a full on wildflower thing, but also continue my full on Sierra snow shooting and also do full on Photoshopping of my images and also maybe work on selling something now and then to keep it all going.

ah100m

Desert report requested
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 12:35:11 pm »

This thread has inspired me!  I'm going on a business trip to Mesa AZ next week - any locations nearby that have blooms yet or look like Ireland?!

Sandfalcon

Desert report requested
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 05:03:25 pm »

I was in Big Bend Nat'l Park three weeks ago.  Bluebonnets (lupines) were in bloom, as were a variety of flowers in the daisy/sunflower family, and some primroses.  The creosote was looking quite verdant.  Should be a dandy Spring there.

Peter McLennan

Desert report requested
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 12:03:53 am »

The desert south of North America has seen record rainfall this winter.  This bodes well for springtime desert photography, I'd guess.  

Anybody down there got a conditions report?

Peter McLennan

Desert report requested
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 10:32:58 am »

Great link.  Thanks, didger.  The desert beckons.
Me needs clones, too.  Snow's all gone and things are greening up here in SE British Columbia.

Peter

aduke

Desert report requested
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 04:50:59 pm »

The desert around Phoenix is very green.  I've not seen anything like this in at eight years, probably longer.

I received a report from a non-photographer that there are lots of flowers along US 60 east of Mesa.  Head east on US60 through Apache Junction and out towards Superior.  You could/should consider stopping at the Boyce-Thompson Arboreteum, just west of Superior.

Also, I was at Spur Cross Ranch Conservation Are, which is at the north edge of the valley last Friday.  There were plenty of flowers and many varieties.  However, there were not huge fields of flowers.  But it is an interesting area.

Alan

aross007

Desert report requested
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 11:10:18 pm »

Another good link to info on wildflowers in the desert southwest is:

http://www.desertusa.com/index.html

Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up