Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC LCD2690MUXi2 on an iMac  (Read 2815 times)

kayakron

NEC LCD2690MUXi2 on an iMac
« on: October 19, 2009, 09:49:04 pm »

Does anyone have experience with this combination?  The NEC website said to call their tech support if using an iMac with the Mini DisplayPort.  When I spoke with the rep he said it "seems to work" with the single link adapter but not with the dual link adapter.  When I asked for clarification on his "seems to work" comment, he said he was able to get 85% of the Mac issues resolved.  I'd like to buy the NEC monitor but was hoping to hear from someone who has used it, successfully, with an iMac with the Mini DisplayPort.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 09:59:59 pm by kayakron »

SteepTrails

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 11:54:24 pm »

Well, I got the NEC2690 but kept getting a "Cannot communicate with the monitor" error message whenever I tried to calibrate using SpectraView II.  The NEC tech rep was at a loss to find a fix.  He finally suggested I try downloading the "Special Edition" of Spectraview II, developed specifically for use with the "dual-link" Mini-DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter.  When I told him I was using the "single-link" adapter (since NEC had told me there were no issues with it) he simply said "well maybe the Special Edition will fix your problem."  It seems there are some remaining bugs with the single-link adapter when used in combination with certain video cards (mine is the Nvidia GeForce GT130) and NEC clearly doesn't have a total grasp of the situation.  For now, I'm using the following work around...

I can calibrate the monitor using either my MBP (with a DVI port) or my old iMac (with a mini-DVI port); SpectraView II can communicate with the NEC2690 from either of these machines with no problems.  Since the calibration is internal to the NEC2690, I simply need to transfer the icc profile generated by SpectraView II to my new iMac.  Not an ideal situation, to be sure, but it works.  

NEC acknowledges there were known issues with the single-link Mini-DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter on Macs running under 10.5.6, and their website says the problem was corrected with the release of 10.5.7. But, as I said above, there seems to be a few remaining, albeit isolated, situations where the single-link adapter interferes with the communication between SpectraView II and the monitor. Based on the earlier comment by a NEC tech rep (see my first post), I'd guess this problem affects about 15% of the Macs with a mini-DisplayPort.  I'm running OS 10.5.8 and am not planning to switch to 10.6 in the foreseeable future; I expect I'll make the change somewhere around 10.6.3.  I hope that release will fix this problem and allow me to calibrate the NEC2690 directly from my iMac.

SteepTrails

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 11:56:29 pm »

Sorry for any confusion..."kayakron" & "Steeptrails" are one and the same.

SteepTrails

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 09:28:37 pm »

Well, it turns out NEC hasn't tested the compatibility of SpectravView II with iMacs released in March 2009 (along with a few other Apple models that haven't been tested); that's the iMac release that I have.  Guess I've been doing some of their testing for them, and they're not compatible.  Here's the recently added statement from NEC's site for SpectraView II compatibility...

" *  The following models released by Apple in March 2009 have not yet been tested by NEC for compatibility with SpectraView. Compatibility information for these models will be posted as it becomes available.:
          o MacMini with Mini DVI and Mini DisplayPort outputs
          o iMacs with Mini DisplayPort output"

I think it's a safe bet that they also haven't tested the compatibility with the new 21" and 27" iMacs -- and the MacMini's -- that were released last month.

For now, I'm still using the work-around described in my Oct 25 post, and it works fine, although it's also still far from ideal.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 09:55:25 pm by SteepTrails »
Pages: [1]   Go Up