Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fall colors and fog great combo  (Read 3223 times)

natas

Fall colors and fog great combo
« on: October 18, 2009, 10:51:14 pm »

So we went on a mini vacation this weekend to Beavers Bend in Oklahoma. Now here in the south (I live in Dallas) our falls are not as beautiful as others, but we still get color here and there. Anyway my main object was to go fly fishing, but they decided to open the flood gates and let in a ton of water from the lake to the river which made fly fishing nearly impossible...so I spent most of that time taking photos. The fog made things so beautiful, mix that with a slow shutter speed and you have dreamy landscape scene. I had so much fun!

All photos taken with 5D Mark II. I used a 24-105mm, 70-200mm and a 180mm macro. Some of these I used ND filters or Graduated ND filters. Please give me input, I am still learning so much and want to learn more!

Here are my favorites (these are quick edits, so the white balance is off on some):

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 10:52:14 pm by natas »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 01:53:48 am »

I like the second one, although I'd probably increase the black level some.  The fourth one's also nice, especially with the Great Blue Heron in the lower left.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 03:26:07 am »

I particularly like the last one. It has a dreamy peacefulness to it which is appealing.

Jeremy

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 03:42:11 am »

The last two are my favorites; they look fantastic.

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 07:42:49 am »

I will echo the what the others have said - the last two I like best because of the effects of the thicker fog,  The photo with the Heron I think could have been improved had you been able to position yourself or the camera's view such that the Heron would have been a little further to the right in the photo - I think it is too close to the edge.

Andrew
[size=12p

JohnKoerner

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 11:52:07 am »

Hello;

Thanks for sharing your photos

Trying to get super-crisp fall colors, while at the same time having a blanket of thick fog over them, almost seems to be a mutually-exclusive proposition ... as the fog (unless very clearly-defined) will be masking all of the colors. For reasons like this, it sometimes is very hard to be able to achieve "in a photo" the beauty of what you can actually see with your eyes. That is the trick!

That being said, the first two photos don't do much for me at all, to be honest, because the fog pretty much hides whatever colors were there to be captured.

The third and fourth photos are my favorites, because (to me at least) they seem to be the best balance of achieving the effect you are trying to convey: illustrating the fall coloration while at the same time they are swathed in fog. I do agree with some of the others that the great blue heron should have either been composed more prominently (or not at all), as he draws attention away from both the fog and the coloration, with not enough detail in his own right for a "payoff" to the viewer.

The 5th photo is almost nothing but fog, and therefore inneffective IMO, while the 6th and final photo does capture the viewer's imagination with its "dreamy-like" fog, with enough bridge detail to evoke thoughts of "where is this?" and "where does it go?" Unfortunately, what ruins this dreamy effect in the end is the little outbuilding the viewer can see just behind it, so for a final revision I would personally try to edit that out.

Keep em coming---and thanks again for sharing

Jack

natas

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 03:53:01 pm »

Quote from: JohnKoerner
Hello;

Thanks for sharing your photos

Trying to get super-crisp fall colors, while at the same time having a blanket of thick fog over them, almost seems to be a mutually-exclusive proposition ... as the fog (unless very clearly-defined) will be masking all of the colors. For reasons like this, it sometimes is very hard to be able to achieve "in a photo" the beauty of what you can actually see with your eyes. That is the trick!

That being said, the first two photos don't do much for me at all, to be honest, because the fog pretty much hides whatever colors were there to be captured.

The third and fourth photos are my favorites, because (to me at least) they seem to be the best balance of achieving the effect you are trying to convey: illustrating the fall coloration while at the same time they are swathed in fog. I do agree with some of the others that the great blue heron should have either been composed more prominently (or not at all), as he draws attention away from both the fog and the coloration, with not enough detail in his own right for a "payoff" to the viewer.

The 5th photo is almost nothing but fog, and therefore inneffective IMO, while the 6th and final photo does capture the viewer's imagination with its "dreamy-like" fog, with enough bridge detail to evoke thoughts of "where is this?" and "where does it go?" Unfortunately, what ruins this dreamy effect in the end is the little outbuilding the viewer can see just behind it, so for a final revision I would personally try to edit that out.

Keep em coming---and thanks again for sharing

Jack

Thanks for the C&C it really helps. I checked out your website and noticed that you are into exotics. I own and run redtailboa.net, so if you are ever interested check out my site

JohnKoerner

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 05:43:53 am »

Quote from: natas
Thanks for the C&C it really helps. I checked out your website and noticed that you are into exotics. I own and run redtailboa.net, so if you are ever interested check out my site

Very cool & small world  

Jack

Pages: [1]   Go Up