Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stretched canvas gallery wrap  (Read 4962 times)

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
Stretched canvas gallery wrap
« on: October 18, 2009, 11:48:28 am »

I've just printed off 5 canvases AND veneered them before realising that the sizes are all wrong.

Thinking I messed up when sizing them in Photoshop for print, I went back to PS and see that it doesn't work anyway.
I'm confused as to how to get this right.

I use the Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions so Ernst perhaps your input too as the action also doesn't work properly with Gallery Wrap.
The issue seems to be the ratio when sizing up but I don't know how to fix ...

My image is 6377 x 4251 pixels.
I've set the document size to 18 x 12 inches and the picture fits perfect. 18x12 will be the finished product size.

I run the Gallery Wrap action from the Dinkla Actions:
My stretcher bar depth is 1.5 inch, so I take 18 and add 3 = 21" width.
But the height now turns to 14 inches ... but that's wrong. The 12" stretcher bar is 12+ 2x1.5" for the depth, the height should be 15".

Unless I untick the box "Constrain Proportions", this won't be correct.

What's the best way of dealing with this?
Thanks

leuallen

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 08:12:24 pm »

Untick the constrain proportions box. The proportions are not the same.

8x10 = 1.25
Add 2 inches per side
10x12 = 1.2

You are adding a the same amount to both dimensions, thus
changing the proportions.

Larry

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 02:55:59 am »

Quote from: leuallen
Untick the constrain proportions box. The proportions are not the same.

8x10 = 1.25
Add 2 inches per side
10x12 = 1.2

You are adding a the same amount to both dimensions, thus
changing the proportions.

Larry

That will stretch the image which isn't an option ever. I've played around with this a bit more and it seems the only thing to do is crop the image... I would have thought the Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions would warn or consider this.  
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 02:56:38 am by ThePhotoDude »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 03:58:23 am »

Quote from: ThePhotoDude
I've just printed off 5 canvases AND veneered them before realising that the sizes are all wrong.

Thinking I messed up when sizing them in Photoshop for print, I went back to PS and see that it doesn't work anyway.
I'm confused as to how to get this right.

I use the Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions so Ernst perhaps your input too as the action also doesn't work properly with Gallery Wrap.
The issue seems to be the ratio when sizing up but I don't know how to fix ...

My image is 6377 x 4251 pixels.
I've set the document size to 18 x 12 inches and the picture fits perfect. 18x12 will be the finished product size.

I run the Gallery Wrap action from the Dinkla Actions:
My stretcher bar depth is 1.5 inch, so I take 18 and add 3 = 21" width.
But the height now turns to 14 inches ... but that's wrong. The 12" stretcher bar is 12+ 2x1.5" for the depth, the height should be 15".

Unless I untick the box "Constrain Proportions", this won't be correct.

What's the best way of dealing with this?
Thanks

There are two choices with a Gallery Wrap, whether using my wraps or any other approach:

* no resampling, no image aspect ratio change: you set the width of the canvas + 2x the stretcher bar thickness + 0.25" tolerance and read out the size of the other dimension of the canvas which is the size displayed in the Image Size window minus 2x the stretcher bar thickness minus 0.25" tolerance. That gives you the frame size aspect ratio possible without changing the image aspect ratio, the frame aspect ratio will be different for any scaling up of the original image but on square images. The frame aspect ratio will also change if one image scaling is used for different strengths of stretcher bars.

Like different sized prints of one image with static 4 inch borders all around dictate different frame and glass aspect ratios. Or the same sized prints with different border widths all around will need different frame and glass aspect ratios.

The last sentence in the instruction says: The aspect ratio of the image is translated to the stretcher frame sizes sum.

* resampling, image aspect ratio change: you set both the width and height  including 2x the stretcher bar thickness + 0.25" tolerance on both dimensions. This may lead to deformations in the image so I have not used that as the default.

The Gallery Wrap is a difficult one in more aspects; it asks for more computing by the user, it is only usable with images that have little content at the edges and it always translates the aspect ratio in a way. The other five choices of the Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions are easier for the user, keep the image ratio in the frame sizes and fit more image types.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 03:59:24 am by Ernst Dinkla »
Pages: [1]   Go Up