Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What glossy or luster paper do you like for B&W?  (Read 1398 times)

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
What glossy or luster paper do you like for B&W?
« on: October 17, 2009, 08:05:15 am »

I have, until today, printed with only Matte Black, because it was so costly to swap out the matte and photo black cartridges. My new printer, Epson 9900, allows for an automatic change without the need for the costly swap. So, I am considering what GLOSSY or LUSTER surface paper to use with Photo Black inks. Would you please let me know what brand and surface you are using and what experience led you to chose it?

I tend to print my images dark, so the ability to reproduce strong black is a primary consideration for me. I have included an image that is representative of most of the work that I do.

Jerry

gwhitf

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 10:45:11 am »

I use Epson Exhibition, with PixelGenius' profile, with Photo Black. It's pretty nice. Expensive paper, but to me, worth it, since there's still a massive gap between ANY inkjet print, which is just ink spewed onto paper, versus a traditional silver print.

Barry Goyette

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 09:06:08 pm »

Quote from: JerryReed
Would you please let me know what brand and surface you are using and what experience led you to chose it?

I tend to print my images dark, so the ability to reproduce strong black is a primary consideration for me. I have included an image that is representative of most of the work that I do.

Jerry

For an everyday RC type paper I use the Epson Premium Semimatte Photo paper. It's got a very nice smooth luster surface and great tonality. A lot more elegant than typical RC luster papers.

The Hahnemuhle Fineart pearl has always been a favorite of mine for a more "baryta" like surface...again, it's a little smoother and more delicate than some of the others in this category. The other Hahnemuhle baryta/pearl papers are all fine as well.

Finally, I love the Hahnemuhle Photo rag satin, which prints best with matte black ink...but has a great textured ektalure X ( k?) finish. This paper does suffer from a bit more bronzing than others, but a coat of premiere art spray usually fixes that up. This is one of those papers where you almost don't want to put it behind glass as it's just too beautiful.

Pages: [1]   Go Up