Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LC 11 ???? will it ever be upgraded???  (Read 25185 times)

bcooter

LC 11 ???? will it ever be upgraded???
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 03:52:01 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
When the alternative was the company went under entirely and no future support of any kind would be provided...

Phase didn't buy Leaf out of the goodness of their heart to save all the poor orphan Leaf users.

They did it to make money and there's nothing wrong with making money, except this sounds more than sideways, given the fact that Phase sells C-1 "pro" that works with Canon, Nikon and probably about a billion other files all the way back to legacy Canons, but  . . . if you own a pre Phase absorbed Leaf back you have to buy a "warranty"  to use the software?

Do you have to buy the "warranty" to stay current with LC11?

I don't have a dog in this hunt as I sold my Leaf after suffering through LC10, but come on, does this really make sense to alienate people that paid their money for a digital back (probably at much higher prices than today) and then ask them to spend more just to stay current on software?

At least the warranty isn't  called "value added", or is it?

BC

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 03:56:38 am »

Quote from: bcooter
Phase didn't buy Leaf out of the goodness of their heart to save all the poor orphan Leaf users.

They did it to make money and there's nothing wrong with making money, except this sounds more than sideways, given the fact that Phase sells C-1 "pro" that works with Canon, Nikon and probably about a billion other files all the way back to legacy Canons, but  . . . if you own a pre Phase absorbed Leaf back you have to buy a "warranty"  to use the software?

Do you have to buy the "warranty" to stay current with LC11?

I don't have a dog in this hunt as I sold my Leaf after suffering through LC10, but come on, does this really make sense to alienate people that paid their money for a digital back (probably at much higher prices than today) and then ask them to spend more just to stay current on software?

At least the warranty isn't  called "value added", or is it?

BC

Well I'm just happy I don't have leaf.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

zeitwand

• http://www.zeitwand.de
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 04:30:59 am »

I hope my almsot 2 years old Aptus22 will serve me a long time, because this will probably be the last LEAF/Phase product i bought!

Architectural Photography: www.zeitwand.de

evgeny

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 09:39:45 am »

Yair, what's the price to UPGRADE Aptus 65 to new firmware/LC?

Is that UPGRADE provides only new firmware or more benefits?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 09:44:04 am by evgeny »

archivue

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 11:30:42 am »

Quote from: yaya
Leaf Capture was always a free software and there are no plans to change this policy.

a firen of mine bought the aptus 22 just when it cames out, and i think he paid some money for the software... ?

archivue

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 11:36:53 am »

Quote from: xinchenc
In Finance/Investment term: Phase One wants a CLEAN Leaf Imaging Company. So LI's digital back/software has nothing to do with those that produced perior to LI. Phase One is NOT responsible for any LEAF products, but Leaf Imaging ones. In that way, Phase One protect themselves.

That is the Capitalism.  

Xin

and protect themselves against old leaf users that will buy their next digital back from... Hasselblad !

it doesn't cost anything to have an online upgrade for old backs... and then they will be able to sell C1... let's wait and see how much it will cost for the upgrade...
if it's "cheap" ok, if it will cost 50% of an aptus 5...

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 12:36:11 pm »

Quote from: xinchenc
In Finance/Investment term: Phase One wants a CLEAN Leaf Imaging Company. So LI's digital back/software has nothing to do with those that produced perior to LI. Phase One is NOT responsible for any LEAF products, but Leaf Imaging ones. In that way, Phase One protect themselves.

That is the Capitalism.  

Xin

the signs were there when the new leaf capture upgrade made it clear to state that they did not support the 75S.

genius of them to rename Leaf and Leaf Imaging and retain the look of it, so it seems like they're still the same company but basically fxxking over the old customers.
How is this supposed to uh encourage any goodwill in the Leaf customers towards Phase One, I don't know.
And why anyone would specifically want to buy new Leaf products is also beyond my comprehension.

Yes I know Phase One doesn't own Leaf users anything. Whatever.

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 01:09:48 pm »

I'm not understanding all the negativity. Leaf Capture is still being supported and is free. Capture One is going to cost money. I can keep shooting my Leaf back and it won't cost anything. What am I supposed to be complaining about?

John

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 02:24:50 pm »

Having to spend money to ensure your back is compatible with future versions of LC.

Unless you're happy to stick with 11.2.8 until the back dies ...

But let's see how much this "upgrade" is going to be, perhaps those who bought from Leaf dealers will see some value for the extra money spent over e bay.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 02:30:47 pm by asf »

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 02:45:49 pm »

Quote from: asf
Having to spend money to ensure your back is compatible with future versions of LC.

Unless you're happy to stick with 11.2.8 until the back dies ...
According to Yair:

Leaf Capture was always a free software and there are no plans to change this policy.

Unless I'm missing something, nothing is really changing.

John

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 03:10:05 pm »

LC will remain free, I don't doubt that at all

Will it be useable with non-Leaf Imaging backs? (Those not sold by the new company or "upgraded")

If all we have to do is bypass a message - as we do now with 11.2.8 - I can live with that. If I have to spend over $xxx to be able to use LC 11.3 +, well, that's another story. My back was bought from Leaf America and is still under warranty. I'm waiting for my dealer's answer since the announcement mid last week. Can see it going either way.

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 10:49:00 pm »

If I were to buy a brand new Phase-owned Leaf back next week or month what software will it ship with?

Am I mistaken to assume all Phase backs are shipped with C1 ?   Will the new Leaf backs follow the same protocol ?

Mark

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 01:52:03 am »

Quote from: mtomalty
If I were to buy a brand new Phase-owned Leaf back next week or month what software will it ship with?

Am I mistaken to assume all Phase backs are shipped with C1 ?   Will the new Leaf backs follow the same protocol ?

Mark

Next week: LC11.2.8 or 11.2.9 (if it is released by then)
Next month: most likely 11.2.9 and maybe C1 5.0 (if it is released)

As soon as C1 5.0 ships, all new Leaf Imaging backs will ship with it (DB licence) along with LC11

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 05:38:08 am »

Why all the negativity indeed ?

ALL software can be used as it was like before for free.
Leaf could also say that they would stop ALL support of Leaf Capture and only support Capture one from now on, but no they don't.
You get the change to buy a NEW WARRANTY with an update to use both Leaf Capture and Capture One.

I really don't see a problem at all.

As I see it, if Leaf would have gone under we would have warranty but no snow leopard support, no new software and firmware and no new backs.
Meaning I would sell my Leaf back with pain in my heart and buy a Phase one or Hasselblad.
But missing the quality I see now.

The situation now is VERY positive.
We have Leaf in a new company Leaf imaging.
They keep supporting the old backs although it's a completely new company, and you can buy a new warranty and firmware for use in OTHER software than you use now.

My story would have been different if you had to pay for using it in new Leaf Capture software.

on the other hand, some people always only see the negative parts of a story.....
It will not be the last Leaf I buy, I'm just very glad Leaf continued and now we can use both Leaf Capture and Capture one. What more to wish for ?

evgeny

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 06:23:49 am »

Frank,

I paid $49 to upgrade Mac OS (family pack).
If the price to upgrade to new Aptus Leaf Imaging Firmware is about same, I will buy it.

But, I'm afraid, Leaf Imaging want me to buy their Extended Warranty (a warranty after 1st year expires).
My local dealer asked approx 20% of my Aptus 65 purchase price for that extended warranty, which looks absurd, or at least bad business for me.

BJNY

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 06:28:51 am »

[indent][/indent]
Quote from: yaya

As soon as C1 5.0 ships, all new Leaf Imaging backs will ship with it (DB licence) along with LC11

Yair

BTW, DB license of C1 has always been free.

Yair,
Will "LI" digital backs connect instantly into C1v5
or will it take the usual 15-30 seconds of watching the progress bar as with LC software?
Billy
Guillermo

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 07:50:58 am »

Hello,

I was told by the New Zealand distributor for Leaf that the soft wear upgrade for my 3 year old Leaf Aptus 75 back like would cost 2000 Euros.

That is a lot of money to be able to use Capture One .

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 07:54:56 am »

I agree 20% would be a high price to pay and in that case I would not do the upgrade but rather upgrade.
Or keep using the back.

If there would be new features in the new firmware I guess it's a personal choice.
Lower noise can be done in post. And only counts for iso400 in my case which I hardly use.
But that's personal.

My opinion was more based on the fact that noone is forced to pay. Lc still is a good solution so you can keep using it.

Maybe the new warranty is because the back is changed and falling under the kodak warranty anymore ?
But that's a guess.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 07:56:35 am by Frank Doorhof »

David WM

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 10:25:51 am »

So, if I decide to forget about LC and decide to purchase and use Capture One when it supports my Aptus 75S, what is the situation then? Will it work or will some sort of license be necessary?

Is there any way of purchasing a firmware upgrade independently of the software you use? Couldn't firmware upgrades be handled on an individual sale basis similar to software upgrades in most programs?

Personally, I don't really see the benefit of maintaining LC at a cost if Capture One is good software and is in popular use. I would be happy to buy it if it going to keep itself at the cutting edge. I would have bought it already if it supported my back.

David

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 12:40:26 pm »

Thanks for that clarification, Yair.

The announced Aptus 5 is of interest to me but, by your post, it doesn't seem to make sense to jump in early
given the probability the all new Leaf Imaging backs will ship with C1 5.0 DB when available.

Will new Leaf Imaging backs sold before C1 5.0 DB is available be  eligible for C1 once it's on the market ?

Mark
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up