Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dxo: Color & use for Weddings  (Read 4883 times)

tkarlmann

Dxo: Color & use for Weddings
« on: October 17, 2009, 01:47:04 am »

DxO Users:  I have two questions:
1) Can you breifly explain how DxO corrects color?  I have seen the shot on the Webpage, but I was hoping to click on a number of spots on a photo and have the program make them white/gray/black.  Is this how it works?  (I don't understand the little color wheel and what it does.)  I am not interested in a slider that lets me change colors -- I need to correct the colors.  Then can I apply this CC to other photos?  I am looking to get the wedding dress white -- if it is white, tux black, and skin tones right.

2) How feasible is DxO for processing a 1500-image Wedding?  I'm presently using a 6/12MP Fuji S5, but plan on getting a D3s.  I have a fast computer, but are we talking minutes, hours, or days to process here?    

Thanks for the info!!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 01:51:53 am by tkarlmann »

NicholasDown

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 05:17:32 am »

Hi there.
With regard to Q 1, it takes a little digging around in the manual to understand how DXO 'corrects' color. I've used the white balance tool successfully, but not used the multipoint color correction tools.
I'm assuming your shooting RAW?
With regard to Q 2, i've just returned from Oregon and Northern California with about 1000 RAW files from a Canon 5D mk 2.
I initially sorted out my RAW pictures in Bridge into folders: those with ISO above 800 and those below.
I then processed these in batches into relevant folders using default DXO processing for those below 800 and High ISO processing for those above.
My workflow was RAW CR2> DXO> Linear DNG using ProPhoto RGB color space 16 bit output into a separate Folder/ subfolders.
I kept my original CR2 files as archives.

I use CS3 so Bridge is 'blind' to native CR2 files which is a pain, but you can set up Bridge to show basic EXIF data on your blind files so that at least you can pre-sort them before processing.
I then use Lightroom/ Photoshop to work on selected files.

It has taken me 5 days aprox 6-8 hours per day (computing time) just to process the 1000 RAW files as above; that is before I do any creative work. I use a 2004 G5 Mac with two internal HDs.

I have used about 100Gig's of my second hard drive so far just on this project.

So time/ space are big issues!
Best wishes
Nicholas
PS I am sure there may be more efficient/ neater workflows but that is my experience so far.

tkarlmann

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 02:32:48 pm »

Quote from: NicholasDown
Hi there.
With regard to Q 1, it takes a little digging around in the manual to understand how DXO 'corrects' color. I've used the white balance tool successfully, but not used the multipoint color correction tools.
I'm assuming your shooting RAW?
With regard to Q 2, i've just returned from Oregon and Northern California with about 1000 RAW files from a Canon 5D mk 2.
I initially sorted out my RAW pictures in Bridge into folders: those with ISO above 800 and those below.
I then processed these in batches into relevant folders using default DXO processing for those below 800 and High ISO processing for those above.
My workflow was RAW CR2> DXO> Linear DNG using ProPhoto RGB color space 16 bit output into a separate Folder/ subfolders.
I kept my original CR2 files as archives.

I use CS3 so Bridge is 'blind' to native CR2 files which is a pain, but you can set up Bridge to show basic EXIF data on your blind files so that at least you can pre-sort them before processing.
I then use Lightroom/ Photoshop to work on selected files.

It has taken me 5 days aprox 6-8 hours per day (computing time) just to process the 1000 RAW files as above; that is before I do any creative work. I use a 2004 G5 Mac with two internal HDs.

I have used about 100Gig's of my second hard drive so far just on this project.

So time/ space are big issues!
Best wishes
Nicholas
PS I am sure there may be more efficient/ neater workflows but that is my experience so far.

Wow, so computing time would be significant.  Well, OK -- that's the way it is.  Thanks Nicholas!!!  Oh, BTW, I will probably have a mix of Raw & Jpeg -- depending on my results.

Anyone else using DxO for Color Correction?  Is your Color Management soooo good that Correction is not needed?  Or is it just that no one is responding?

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 08:09:58 pm »

Quote from: tkarlmann
Wow, so computing time would be significant.  Well, OK -- that's the way it is.  Thanks Nicholas!!!  Oh, BTW, I will probably have a mix of Raw & Jpeg -- depending on my results.

Anyone else using DxO for Color Correction?  Is your Color Management soooo good that Correction is not needed?  Or is it just that no one is responding?

why don't you just ask @ DxO forum ? http://forum.dxo.com

tkarlmann

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 05:14:23 am »

Quote from: deja
why don't you just ask @ DxO forum ? http://forum.dxo.com

Thanks for that, I just registered over at DxO.  One reason I was trying to get an answer here, was that when I contacted DxO, emailed back & forth to their tech person -- his suggestion was that I obtain his tutorial -- which costs $975.

I was looking for a less costly answer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up