Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users  (Read 12625 times)

RichA@FotoCare

• http://fotocare.com
Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 12:09:35 pm »

Quote from: bradleygibson
S for speed?  (It has a higher frame rate than the non-S version...)

I believe the 75 stands for (roughly) 7000 by 5000 pixel images.

Yes "S" is for speed, almost continuos shooting, and the 75 is roughly pixel dimension.

Rich Andres
Foto Care
NY, NY
212-741-2990

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 02:15:30 pm »

Quote from: Williamson Images
Been in Washington DC for a couple of days.  I really enjoy the memorials and the shallow focus of my zeiss 140mm.  I am headed to the Caribbean for two weeks with the Leaf Aptus II 10.  I will try to post some new stuff along the way.  I promise no boxing from Cuba...

I received my new focussing screen from Robert Maxwell.  Really nice job and easy to see through.  Nice to have the exact framing and he added a grid for me as well as 36x48 framing lines for verticals.

Steve Hendrix and the guys at Capture Integration sent me a replacement battery charger to replace mine that was erratic.  Really nice to have a dealer that I can count on.

Life is good as a Leaf owner.

Robb

Hi Robb,

I'm in the process of upgrading my 75s and was wondering if the firing too fast issue that you mentioned in your review has been resolved or not? and want happens if you have your Contax set to multiple capture instead of single one.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

Williamson Images

• http://www.williamsonimages.com
Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 02:58:29 pm »

Are you using your 75s on a contax, or other system?  I would guess that all aptus backs have this issue with contax.  Maybe Yair can comment on what the issue is between how the camera and back recognize each other and if this could be resolved with a firmware update in the future.  I wonder what phase backs do if you trigger a contax too quickly before the back is ready.  Do leaf backs also do this with an H1 or H2?  I don't know.    

I have not had any more issues with the back not linking to the contax 645, but I have also waited for the ready beep.  The back recycles very fast at one frame per second.  Slower that 35 systems, but I'll gladly put up with that one quirk to use the zeiss lenses and the 645.  It really is a joy to use.  I have never shot in the continuous mode since I knew the back wasn't capable of 2 fps.  

I'd love to add an Aptus II 5 as a backup.  Looks like a great deal and easier than bringing a 35 system.    

Robb

Quote from: ddk
Hi Robb,

I'm in the process of upgrading my 75s and was wondering if the firing too fast issue that you mentioned in your review has been resolved or not? and want happens if you have your Contax set to multiple capture instead of single one.
-------------------------
Robb Williamson
www.williamsonimages.com

ddk

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 04:21:25 pm »

Quote from: Williamson Images
Are you using your 75s on a contax, or other system?  I would guess that all aptus backs have this issue with contax.  Maybe Yair can comment on what the issue is between how the camera and back recognize each other and if this could be resolved with a firmware update in the future.  I wonder what phase backs do if you trigger a contax too quickly before the back is ready.  Do leaf backs also do this with an H1 or H2?  I don't know.    

I have not had any more issues with the back not linking to the contax 645, but I have also waited for the ready beep.  The back recycles very fast at one frame per second.  Slower that 35 systems, but I'll gladly put up with that one quirk to use the zeiss lenses and the 645.  It really is a joy to use.  I have never shot in the continuous mode since I knew the back wasn't capable of 2 fps.  

I'd love to add an Aptus II 5 as a backup.  Looks like a great deal and easier than bringing a 35 system.    

Robb

Yes, I'm a Contax user too, I never had the same problem with any of my Aptus backs, 75S, 54S, 22 in the past, you just can't take a shot until the back is ready.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 05:53:34 am »

The Contax cameras can act funny at times, mostly because they are being serviced by different shops and if there's a fault in the contacts board it may not be repaired properly or not repaired at all.

The cameras that we use for testing work fine with all the current Aptus-II backs. We can hold the finger down in continuos mode and the camera won't fire unless the back is ready.

Therefore we cannot really provide any solution other than advise people to have their cameras looked at by an authorised repairer.

Hope this helps

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

bcooter

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 12:18:54 pm »

Quote from: yaya
The Contax cameras can act funny at times, mostly because they are being serviced by different shops and if there's a fault in the contacts board it may not be repaired properly or not repaired at all.

Yair

Yair,

Well yes and no.

Back when I was a member of the Aptus 22 club, I kept saying that if you shot every time it would beep sometimes you could overrun the contax camera and get some weird things going on, like green previews, or files with iines in them or the camera would just Jam.

This happened with all 4 of my contax cameras.

Rick at LOA kept saying, "I never heard of dat"  (hee, hee, hoo, hoo, snicker, snicker).  So I started looking at the Darth Phase brand and bought a p30 that worked fine and didn't do the shoot before you beep thing.

Anyway, before I sold my Aptus, Steve Hendrix* sent me an e-mail and said Leaf now had a fix for the contax beep before you shoot issue and it got fixed.

That was before *Steve and Rick went to the Dark Side . . . uh sorry . . . I keep forgetting . . . you all went to the Dark Side.

[attachment=18275:darthhank.jpg]

BC

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 01:02:35 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
Yair,

Well yes and no.

Back when I was a member of the Aptus 22 club, I kept saying that if you shot every time it would beep sometimes you could overrun the contax camera and get some weird things going on, like green previews, or files with iines in them or the camera would just Jam.

Rick at LOA kept saying, "I never heard of dat"  (hee, hee, hoo, hoo, snicker, snicker).  So I started looking at the Darth Phase brand and bought a p30 that worked fine and didn't do the shoot before you beep thing.

Anyway, before I sold my Aptus, Steve Hendrix* sent me an e-mail and said Leaf now had a fix for the contax beep before you shoot issue and it got fixed.

That was before *Steve and Rick went to the Dark Side . . . uh sorry . . . I keep forgetting . . . you all went to the Dark Side.

BC

Well...many moons later and some Contax cameras still give issues with some other backs

All I can say is that right now, there are Contax bodies that perform flawlessly with Aptus-II backs and as we see from Robb's post, there are some that don't, but it ain't the back...
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

robert zimmerman

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 01:04:02 pm »

The green previews with the Aptus were fun, but I had to leave Leaf after they got the software right, it just wasn't painful enough anymore.
Had to buy a Hassy to get back to a steady pace of software crashes and painfully slow processing.

Hassy also gave me extra funny things, like every lens I ever bought failed within the first month - error 91 or whatever.
It's like the engineers at Hassy all went to college together, lived in the same fraternity house (Alpha Phocus Beta) and were bored with the usual practical jokes. Had to come up with something new to torment the camera nerd: "Oh, I got it, you know those really great windows errors, like error 91? Let's do that! Whatever happens, error 91! Ha ha ha ha ha!".

You can't pay enough for that kind of entertainment.

pixjohn

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 02:24:42 pm »

You do not have to shot on a Contax camera's to get lines in your pictures and 1/4 green shots. I have been getting it all the time on my Aptus 75. When I sent it to Rick before he left, he said everything is fine. This is from the other day.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 06:01:38 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
Yair,

Well yes and no.

BC

I do recall Leaf had communicated a resolution for Contax-related issues which involved a circuit board replacement in the Aptus itself. I did have some customers who took Leaf up on this and reported improvement, but there were others for whom the issue didn't completely clear up. I think this comes back to the camera itself. I had been told at some point that the Contax cameras had 2 different versions and the internal electronics were different and that was why some cameras worked without these issues, others did not. I actually can't recall where I heard this from, but that is all the information that I have up to this point.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

bcooter

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 09:02:32 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
I do recall Leaf had communicated a resolution for Contax-related issues which involved a circuit board replacement in the Aptus itself. I did have some customers who took Leaf up on this and reported improvement, but there were others for whom the issue didn't completely clear up. I think this comes back to the camera itself. I had been told at some point that the Contax cameras had 2 different versions and the internal electronics were different and that was why some cameras worked without these issues, others did not. I actually can't recall where I heard this from, but that is all the information that I have up to this point.

Steve Hendrix

All I know is what I know.  I have 4 contax bodies and with the Aptus 22 if I didn't count one thousand one, one thousand two, click, one thousand 1, one thousand 2 click, I'd get lines, green stuff or a jam.

One of the bodies was brand new and one of the last models made, the other three from different periods and times.

When I bought and put  a pee 30 (later a pee 30 plus and a pee 21 plus) on the same bodies i didn't have to count anymore.

I sold the Aptus back right at the moment the fix came out and the new owner sent it to Leaf for the upgrade/repair/whatever it was called and he never had to count one thousand one, one thousand two, click.

Now in all fairness the pee thirty plus had some issues with half black and black frames that still come up from time to time.  Not every frame, not even enough to really notice, but they can happen.

The only thing the bothered me about the aptus thing was I kept saying this was happening and kept being told by LOA nobody was reporting it, then boom, their was a fix for it.  

Geraldo Rivera

ddk

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2009, 08:17:03 am »

I have 4 Contax bodies that each seems to work problem free with its dedicated digital back for the most part now. I encountered many of the situations mentioned above at one time or another, including a very strange one quite recently. Two of the backs would not turn on. I'd see the green light come on but nothing else, the backs were both dead before the start of an important shoot. I can tell you that almost in every case the problem turned out to be card incompatibility and not the camera/back combination, including this last occurance. I haven't had any issues since I switched to Sandisk Ultra III cards.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

Williamson Images

• http://www.williamsonimages.com
Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2009, 01:06:21 am »

Made it back to the US from the Caribbean.  Have uploaded some images to my facebook page and will get them on my webpage very soon.  I shot over 1500 images on the trip without any hiccups at all.  No sync problems between the back and Contax 645 bodies although I'm still careful to avoid a double trigger.  Maybe Yair will sell me 2 of his later Contax bodies...    

I had a chance to put the new Hahnel double charger to work on the Leaf bateries.  It was quick and the readouts on % remaining to be charged are what all battery chargers should look like.  And it is small.  I believe it is the same as the double charger standard on phase one backs.  You can swap inserts to charge different types of batteries.  So you could theoretically take an Aptus II 10 and a P65+ and only need one charger.  It works loads better than the charger that came with the back originally.  Thank you again Steve.

I really love the Leaf Back.  I continue to be blown away by the easy post and amazing detail.  And I see that it has very natural color right out of the "can".  Kind of reminds me of somewhere between Astia and Provia in the film days.  Color that is really easy to like and easy to bump in your favorite direction and still feel natural.

There were a couple of situations that the Leaf was not a viable solution - and the Nikons need to kick in.  I needed high shutter speeds and higher iso greater than 100 or 200 - Things were moving very fast with some of the other aircraft and ships I was shooting (not in the attached images).  I will always default to the d3x from now on for those situations.  I experimented with the Leaf for these but my success rate was very low.  In order to pull the greatest detail from the Leaf, I'll always prefer a tripod with a mirror locked up - That's where it sings.  

Stay warm.  Robb

[attachment=18619:RW_001309_sm.jpg]

[attachment=18620:RW_001255_sm.jpg]

[attachment=18621:RW_001291_sm.jpg]

[attachment=18622:RW_001622_sm.jpg]
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:12:23 am by Williamson Images »
-------------------------
Robb Williamson
www.williamsonimages.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up