Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users  (Read 12626 times)

John Collins

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« on: October 16, 2009, 05:54:56 pm »

I am drawn to the Aptus ll 10 back because of its aspect ratio. If anyone who uses this back has the time to comment on it I would appreciate it very much. I've not found any information on pricing and would like to hear of your experiences and recommendations concerning the cameras and lenses that you use wiih it. Thanks.

Williamson Images

• http://www.williamsonimages.com
Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 12:30:58 am »

Hi John,

I think it is good that you asked for a role-call of the new Aptus II 10 owners out there to be able to give you some of their thoughts.  I'm sure that there are not very many owners yet because of several factors.  I was told that there were FOUR as of August in the US.  

First was difficulty getting the sensor delivered with the correct high tolerances spec'd by Leaf from Dalsa.  
Second was the Leaf buyout from Phase One which caused pause on how the new company would be doing business and what products they would continue offering and servicing.
Third is the higher cost (although not as high as the Phase One P65+) which would mean less quantities sold than smaller sized backs that are less expensive.

I took delivery of my Aptus II 10 two weeks ago from Capture Integration in Atlanta.  I suggest you give them a call to get their opinions and talk options.  

I believe mine was the first "10" ordered from the new Company.  I have an article with images that I have submitted to Michael Reichmann on my experiences with the back.  He expects it to run within the next few weeks, so keep an eye out for it on his front page.

I wouldn't hesitate to get the 10 as long as you are ok working with a DB.  It is one of the best out there, with a large usable touchscreen, a 20 x 31" file at 300 dpi, and wonderful colors, tones, and sharpness not found in 35mm cameras.  As a comparison, the Nikon D3x file is 13.5 x 20" @300 dpi.  So I feel it is a very big step up, and a bigger jump than the 33 or 39mp backs away from the Canon's and Nikon's.  I use mine with my Contax 645's and the Zeiss glass really gets the most out of the back.  My favorite lenses are the 35, 55, 80, 140 and the Hasselblad 110mm f 2.0 FE lens with an adapter.  I am saving up for the 120 macro because it is one of the best lenses made.  I also like the idea of the Cambo Wide RS which is very small and light, with extremely sharp lenses with movements and now tilts as well.  Because of the Aptus II 10's aspect ratio of 56mm x 36mm, I can stitch two frames horizontally to come up with that magical 6x17 proportion and detail not seen from the previous Fuji's or Linhof's with film.  Exciting times for this new tool in your kit.

The back has so much resolution, that it is easy to shoot verticals of portraits cropped to that sought after (on this forum) 36x 48mm frame as well those aiming for magazine covers.  So it's very versatile.  I have Bill Maxwell making me some custom focussing screens with the full sensor size and the 36x48 etched less prominently inside for this ability.  Because we all like to shoot it tight to get the most out of the real estate, right?

I hope you are able to find the other new owners and draw them to the site and this post so that there can be good stories about our findings and the images we are creating as the group grows.  I especially look forward to seeing where else around the globe the Aptus II 10 is being added to photographer's cases.

The attached file was shot with the Zeiss 55mm on a tripod.  1/3rd sec at f 19 at ISO 100.  Not sure if diffraction will mess me up here but that is why I shoot the same scene at varying F-stops.  This is my first upload so I apologize if it is way too small.  There is absolutely smooth gradations throughout the image, so if you see any type of banding in the sky, that is from the web downsample.  I'm looking forward to printing this one at 44x66".  

I will be adding a custom gallery at my website with the images I am shooting with the back.  So check-in next week to see what it is capable of.  I have just gotten back from a week long roadtrip with the Aptus II 10 and am putting it through it's paces shooting non-commercial work until I have gotten down it's sweet spot and workflow on the files.  Then I will add it to the commercial work that I specialize in.  So please don't expect the G-5 aircraft in front of it quite yet on the galleries - but that will come soon.  

www.williamsonimages.com

Robb
Denver, Colorado USA

[attachment=17268:RW_000311_sm.jpg]

Quote from: John Collins
I am drawn to the Aptus ll 10 back because of its aspect ratio. If anyone who uses this back has the time to comment on it I would appreciate it very much. I've not found any information on pricing and would like to hear of your experiences and recommendations concerning the cameras and lenses that you use wiih it. Thanks.
-------------------------
Robb Williamson
www.williamsonimages.com

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 01:06:54 am »

Hi John,
Looks like neither one of us has been posting here too long but I'm delighted with my Aptus II 10 although the numbering system doesn't make sense to me  

Like yourself, I like the aspect ratio as well as the nearly 60MP--almost twice what I was using before. But actually, when you consider how I typically crop my prints, I'm now getting more than twice the MP per square inch of final work product than I was with my Aptus 75s.  I'm also just just getting used to the Alpa system both of which I bought at Optech in Seattle, a really great dealer to work with. Paul Slotboom has several videos on their web site and very knowledgeable about the Aptus, and is definately a good resource for you.  But as to your question, for me the Aspect ratio helped tremendously since I now crop very little.  I've noticed even for verticals, the elongated format works better for me--both in the studio and in the field--trees look more natural with longer or complete trunks and full length shots of people can be more straight on. The only problem I had was I evidently formatted my 32gb cfc incorrectly, as I mentioned on another post, btu once that was corrected it's working flawlessly.  Good look.

Dennis

John Collins

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 11:37:24 am »

Thanks Robb and Dennis. I'm going all digital from a hybrid workflow using a 5X8 view camera. I've got a lot of learning to do on the subject of digital capture & etc. Your comments are very welcome.

John

Williamson Images

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 11:43:02 pm »

I have created a new image gallery on my site at www.williamsonimages.com
Look under the index for: New Leaf Aptus II 10 Images.

I have uploaded 10 preliminary landscape images as I put the back through its paces prior to inclusion in my commercial workflow.  I will add images every couple of days so please feel free to stop by the site to see more from the Aptus II.

Robb
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:44:07 pm by Williamson Images »
Robb Williamson
www.williamsonimages.com

Dick Roadnight

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 04:14:05 am »

Quote from: Williamson Images

I have uploaded 10 preliminary landscape images as I put the back through its paces prior to inclusion in my commercial workflow.  I will add images every couple of days so please feel free to stop by the site to see more from the Aptus II.

Robb
Hi, Robb... I think you web site does not do your pictures justice, and, on Eizo my ColorEdge CG211, the picture you posted on this forum the other day looks sharper and higher contrast than the version on you r website.

I am usually impressed by how good images from high-res originals look even when down-resed for the web.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

RAV

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 01:15:27 pm »

John:
   I received my AFi II 10 about 2 months ago. At first glance it might not appear to be logical to purchase a camera at the end of its (short) production cycle, but I used my Rollei SL66 for 20 years after production ceased. The Schneider lenses on my 6008 were/are outstanding. The AFi is the logical extension of this series, and I anticipate at least a 10 year life. For anything digital that is a loooong time.
   The 56 mp back is outstanding. I have yet to fully exploit its capabilities, and I have not fully mastered the software. I understand that LC 11.2.8 is not supposed to work with OSX 10.6.1. It seems to work fine. Leaf indicates that Leaf Raw Converter does not work with 56mp files. LRC creates a 116 mb .MOS file from the 64 mb lossless compressed file. LC11 creates a 112 mb .MOS file. Both look the same in Lightroom, LC11 and Raw Converter at up to 400X. What does the extra 4 mb contain? The metadata info gets lost. LRC also does not allow for lens correction. Do those things define "not working?"

Dennis:
   Are you referring to the numbering system of the back (Aptus II 10?) or the numbering system for the files? For files, the numbering system is (IMHO) ideal. In "Camera" view I set the current date as the starting number (Leaf calls it a base name, ex: 10/19/09-), and reset the counter to zero. Each shot taken that day is then instantly recognizable by file name. When copied to the computer each file is then "automatically" sorted. Since date and time create my filing system there really isn't any other filing or sorting required.

Robb:
   I don't know about Aptus II 10 production numbers, but I know that at least 5 AFi II 10s exist.

Williamson Images

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 07:55:25 pm »

Dick,

I will talk to my web designers about your observations.  I am not the web expert, but they look great on my macbook pro and 30" apple screen.

I have had good results walking clients through the site on their machines, but the mileage may vary depending on their monitors and calibration.  Hopefully they will look good to you when the review on LL is posted next week.

Robb

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
Hi, Robb... I think you web site does not do your pictures justice, and, on Eizo my ColorEdge CG211, the picture you posted on this forum the other day looks sharper and higher contrast than the version on you r website.

I am usually impressed by how good images from high-res originals look even when down-resed for the web.
Robb Williamson
www.williamsonimages.com

John Collins

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 08:38:21 pm »

Robb

Thanks Robb. I'm pleased to see your fine work - Thanks for giving a preview of the A ll 10 back's capabilities. I'm drawn to Zeiss lenses, but I wonder about investing in a system that has no Mfg. backup at this point. Have you needed any repairs?

Williamson Images

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 09:27:01 pm »

I have several Contax 645 backups but haven't needed them at this point.  The system has a couple of quirks.  It uses up batteries more than other systems.  I use rechargeable NiMH AA's from powerex in the vertical grips to solve the problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerex-2700mAh-Rech...f=pd_ys_iyr_img

The system is mainly bulletproof and very easy to clean.  The mirror up button is fantastic as is the self timer.  The lenses are very solid.  Some may say they are too contrasty...

The shutters are at the rear of the bodies and very close to the attachment of the digital or film backs.  I have grazed the shutter with the rear cover a couple of times because I was moving a little too quick but it continues to work fine.  I have heard of fingers going through the shutter as well.  There are shops that still work on them, and bodies are fairly cheap out there.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy into the system other than if you decide to sell a digital back later, there is a smaller market looking.  Hasselblad H2 and Mamiya cameras are a larger DB market.  

But the contax system really has the goods.  Waist level finder which is brighter than the prism finder, vertical grip, hartblei 45mm tilt shift which is very good optically, compatibility with all Hassy lenses in F or FE mode with an adapter, etc.  I haven't ever used the AF really - it's slow.  Lots of good threads on LL forum about it's plusses though.

Robb

Thanks Robb. I'm pleased to see your fine work - Thanks for giving a preview of the A ll 10 back's capabilities. I'm drawn to Zeiss lenses, but I wonder about investing in a system that has no Mfg. backup at this point. Have you needed any repairs?
Robb Williamson
www.williamsonimages.com

JoeKitchen

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 03:24:33 pm »

How good is this back when it comes to long exposures like 10 or more seconds?  What is the max exposure?
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Williamson Images

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 04:18:16 pm »

The back is limited to 30 second max exposures because of the Dalsa sensor type.  I believe all Leaf backs have this max and the Phase p65 is the same because of the sensor.  If you need longer times, the phase P45+ can go hours.  

I think the hasselblad is also using the same dalsa sensor so you may need to go for lower res if you need longer than 30 sec.

If you do shoot longer than 30sec, the back displays a message that says you have exceeded it's max time and no capture was possible.  I haven't felt limited yet and I shoot long exposures for my architectural and landscape images.    

Robb  

Quote from: JoeKitchen
How good is this back when it comes to long exposures like 10 or more seconds?  What is the max exposure?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:19:37 pm by Williamson Images »
Robb Williamson
www.williamsonimages.com

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 08:29:21 pm »

The back is limited to 30 second max exposures because of the Dalsa sensor type.  I believe all Leaf backs have this max and the Phase p65 is the same because of the sensor.  If you need longer times, the phase P45+ can go hours.  

I think the hasselblad is also using the same dalsa sensor so you may need to go for lower res if you need longer than 30 sec.

If you do shoot longer than 30sec, the back displays a message that says you have exceeded it's max time and no capture was possible.  I haven't felt limited yet and I shoot long exposures for my architectural and landscape images.    

Robb

The P65 goes to 60 seconds, however I would say that around 45 seconds is the limit when it comes to image quality.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Williamson Images

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 12:40:08 pm »

I wanted to show the group interested in the back a better idea of what the screen shows when reviewing shot images and their info.  Hope these help.  Will try to upload more images shot with the Aptus II 10 later tonight.

Robb

[attachment=17623:Robb5_sm.jpg]

[attachment=17624:Robb4_sm.jpg]

[attachment=17622:Leaf_on_Contax_sm.jpg]
Robb Williamson
www.williamsonimages.com

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 11:42:22 am »

I wanted to show the group interested in the back a better idea of what the screen shows when reviewing shot images and their info.  Hope these help.  Will try to upload more images shot with the Aptus II 10 later tonight.

Robb

[attachment=17623:Robb5_sm.jpg]

[attachment=17624:Robb4_sm.jpg]

[attachment=17622:Leaf_on_Contax_sm.jpg]

Just saw your article Robb, nice one!

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Williamson Images

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 09:39:47 pm »

Examples of the detail the back is capable of:

http://www.leaf-photography.com/news_en1109_rw.asp

Where's Waldo?  What can you find?    

Robb

Robb Williamson
www.williamsonimages.com

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 01:51:49 am »

Quote from: RAV
John:
   I received my AFi II 10 about 2 months ago. At first glance it might not appear to be logical to purchase a camera at the end of its (short) production cycle, but I used my Rollei SL66 for 20 years after production ceased. The Schneider lenses on my 6008 were/are outstanding. The AFi is the logical extension of this series, and I anticipate at least a 10 year life. For anything digital that is a loooong time.
   The 56 mp back is outstanding. I have yet to fully exploit its capabilities, and I have not fully mastered the software. I understand that LC 11.2.8 is not supposed to work with OSX 10.6.1. It seems to work fine. Leaf indicates that Leaf Raw Converter does not work with 56mp files. LRC creates a 116 mb .MOS file from the 64 mb lossless compressed file. LC11 creates a 112 mb .MOS file. Both look the same in Lightroom, LC11 and Raw Converter at up to 400X. What does the extra 4 mb contain? The metadata info gets lost. LRC also does not allow for lens correction. Do those things define "not working?"

Dennis:
   Are you referring to the numbering system of the back (Aptus II 10?) or the numbering system for the files? For files, the numbering system is (IMHO) ideal. In "Camera" view I set the current date as the starting number (Leaf calls it a base name, ex: 10/19/09-), and reset the counter to zero. Each shot taken that day is then instantly recognizable by file name. When copied to the computer each file is then "automatically" sorted. Since date and time create my filing system there really isn't any other filing or sorting required.

Robb:
   I don't know about Aptus II 10 production numbers, but I know that at least 5 AFi II 10s exist.

Only referring to the production numbers -- mixing the Roman II with the Arbic 10. I've had 4 leaf backs and the Aptus 16 and 22 had logical designations.  I was never sure what the 75 in Aptus 75 signified, but given that it was what it was, then the s in 75s made sense since it was capable of shorter exposures.  To me, it'd be logical to designate the new 56 mp back as the Aptus 56 rather than the Aptus II 10 or raoundig up to Aptus "60", if the prior numbers were in synch, but then what's in a name.  I agree however--I've always liked the Leaf file numbering system and even more so now that you can start over at 01 whenever you want--Leaf used to be continuous with no going back. But I'm in love with my Aptus II 10 despite the nomenclature

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 02:45:37 am »

Quote from: gdh
I was never sure what the 75 in Aptus 75 signified, but given that it was what it was, then the s in 75s made sense since it was capable of shorter exposures.

S for speed?  (It has a higher frame rate than the non-S version...)

I believe the 75 stands for (roughly) 7000 by 5000 pixel images.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 02:45:59 am by bradleygibson »
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 11:30:39 am »

Quote from: bradleygibson
S for speed?  (It has a higher frame rate than the non-S version...)

I believe the 75 stands for (roughly) 7000 by 5000 pixel images.

Yes, the number designation seems to have always meant to reflect the X by Y pixel quantities. The "S" refers to speed, as far as I was could tell, since that is the primary difference between an Aptus and an Aptus S.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Williamson Images

Leaf Aptus ll 10 Users
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 11:38:51 am »

Been in Washington DC for a couple of days.  I really enjoy the memorials and the shallow focus of my zeiss 140mm.  I am headed to the Caribbean for two weeks with the Leaf Aptus II 10.  I will try to post some new stuff along the way.  I promise no boxing from Cuba...

I received my new focussing screen from Robert Maxwell.  Really nice job and easy to see through.  Nice to have the exact framing and he added a grid for me as well as 36x48 framing lines for verticals.

Steve Hendrix and the guys at Capture Integration sent me a replacement battery charger to replace mine that was erratic.  Really nice to have a dealer that I can count on.

Life is good as a Leaf owner.

Robb

Robb Williamson
www.williamsonimages.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up