Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR jpegs different than PS  (Read 1218 times)

smahn

LR jpegs different than PS
« on: October 16, 2009, 02:56:31 pm »

When I convert my layered TIFFs to jpegs in LR they come out different than when I make them via Dr Brown's 1-2-3 via Bridge. I notice the difference primarily in darker tones. I've been working on jewelry and it's most noticable in the way the darker diamond facets are rendered., although it also shows up uin the saturation of golds.

I've played with variations in sharpening options but none of them overcome the differences. Which is more accurate to the original? This too is a bit difficult ot ascertain right now because I'm working with full size Canon 5D2 files but the jpegs get downsized to 600px, which equates to viewing the original at about 10.6%, which doesn't yield the most accurate representation either.

Does LR and PS differ in the sequence they process layers?

LR is a lot faster in making the conversions, that much I know.

So, to make sense of my ramble I guess I have 3 questions:

1. Do others notice a difference in the way LR and PS render downsized jpegs?

2. if so, which do you find more accurate to your orginal?

3. I'm from the school of making a full-size master file which then gets repurposed for multiple uses, but for web work I'm beginning to question the validity of working on vastly oversized files in aRGB colorspace. Any good workflow tips as to the best stage of the process to downsize and convert color space?

Edit: While I'm whining I should also add that Bridge is killing me too. I always generate full size high quality previews, but even these are rendered as softer (less sharp) than the originals. Trying to maintain consistency between LS, PS and Bridge is killing me.

Macbook Pro Core 2 duo. OS 10.5.8, CS4, LR 2.5
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 03:04:56 pm by smahn »

smahn

LR jpegs different than PS
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 11:11:23 pm »

Should I interpret no response to mean nobody else sees a difference between PS and Lightroom jpegs?

How about the way Lightroom and Bridge preview layered PS images?
Pages: [1]   Go Up