Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colour profile uniformity OS X, NEC 2690WUXI2, Epson 3800  (Read 3149 times)

Alasdair

Colour profile uniformity OS X, NEC 2690WUXI2, Epson 3800
« on: October 16, 2009, 01:01:02 pm »

Hi

I am a bit confused about how to go about maintaining the same colour throughout my system as described above. I don't yet own the 3800 but it is on it's way so I guess I'm trying to figure this out before making any mistakes. Can anyone help me to understand how this all works together? I have been using the Prophoto profile in PS and Lightroom if that's any help and also just letting the Spectraview software calibrate the monitors to 6500, 120, 2.2. I have no idea if Spectraview requires me to set a colour profile or not.

A bit of a wishy washy question I know, but I'm sure there's a simple answer  

Cheers
Al

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 01:22:45 pm »

There is and there isn't a simple answer. You should learn the basics of colour managing your system now that you are buying a printer capable of delivering professional quality results. I recommend the L-L Camera to Print download tutorial - you'll learn most of what you need to know there.

The bottom line is that you should calibrate and profile your display, which Spectraview is likely doing for you if you used it correctly, and you should use the correct printer profile for the paper you will be printing with. Then, there are a number of things to know about file formats, colour spaces and program settings and soft-proofing to get it all working optimally and harmoniously. You'll find it all explained in the download, or in numerous articles you can find on the internet.

Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Alasdair

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 04:18:00 am »

Hi

I had a quick poke for a few articles and came across this one with our very own Jeff Shewe http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phsc..._colormgraw.pdf which seems to concisely cover the very basics. I still need a few questions answered but I guess some more hunting should get me there.

I'm familiar enough with file formats, printer profiles and soft proofing but am concerned that perhaps I'm missing something in the overall calibration of the system, like for example, having Lightroom and Photoshop using the Prophoto space and then having the monitor set to sRGB. This bit, I don't understand. I have just switched to the NEC monitors using Spectrview so some more reading on them will be necessary. Also, I'm a bit concerned about the 3800. From what I read in these forums, there seem to be a lot of people having bother with it in one form or another. We'll see. I had a 2400 (I think) before, and it was terrible. Track marks and splodges were a common issue and it didn't take long to get cheesed off with it.

Thanks for taking the time to advise me Mark.

Cheers
Al

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 09:47:56 am »

Al - yes - that article of Jeff's is indeed very good - I should have mentioned it, and good that you found it.

As for the 3800 - I've been using it for over two years. Best printer I've ever owned in terms of overall performance and print quality. Most of our displays are limited to an sRGB colour space, while the colour gamut of the 3800 exceeds Adobe RGB in some areas, but since your files are tagged ProPhoto, you have all the colours in the file which the 3800 can reproduce, and more. Don't be bothered by the gamut of the display. All it means is that some hues lying between sRGB and Adobe RGB would show in the print but not on the display. This isn't a train smash and won't prevent you from making very well matched prints provided the profiles are good and settings are correct.

Calibrate and profile your display with Spectraview and make sure (by going into the Advanced Properties - Colour Management section of your graphics card) that this profile is now the default profile. If for some strange reason it isn't, then select it from the list and make it the default however your graphic card firmware allows that. That means it will load when you open the computer. When you print, make sure Photoshop Manages Color and the correct paper and the correct profile for the paper is selected in the printer driver and in the Photoshop Print dialog. Make sure all Color Management is OFF in the printer driver. Before you make a print, do a nozzle check to make sure there are no clogged nozzles, and clean if necessary. The Epson 3800 is the first Epson pigment printer I've owned (and this is the 4th for me) which hardly clogs - a real relief. With all this, you should be good to go.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:49:22 am by MarkDS »
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up