Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9800 - paper scuff marks  (Read 1933 times)

Pacific Image Works

Epson 9800 - paper scuff marks
« on: October 15, 2009, 11:53:50 pm »

I'm printing on Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl Roll, 250GSM on the Epson 9800.
I've noticed that I get frequent "Paper Skew" errors asking me to "load the paper properly". Besides being irritated by a rebuke from a piece of gear, I have to reload the paper each time. This seems to happen usually in the first several prints on a new roll. One of the side effects of this problem is that it appears that when the printer pushes the paper in and out after I reload the roll, the paper is pushed against the Roll Paper Cover. This has resulted in scuff marks that noticeably affect how the paper receives the ink, but the scuffing is visible under certain light even in the non-printed areas. The Hahn FAP paper is pretty thick and it tends to expand off of the roll like a coil spring making it more likely to impact the Roll Paper Cover. After a number of prints, I get no loading errors and all runs fine.
Is it possible to remove the cover and run the printer without it?
I appreciate any advice on this problem.

Craig

jschone

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 07:09:00 am »

Dear Craig, I always print with the paper cover open on the 9800, for heavier fine art papers this is a must. If you would like to take it away completely, I see no reason why not.

Jochem

Quote from: Pacific Image Works
I'm printing on Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl Roll, 250GSM on the Epson 9800.
I've noticed that I get frequent "Paper Skew" errors asking me to "load the paper properly". Besides being irritated by a rebuke from a piece of gear, I have to reload the paper each time. This seems to happen usually in the first several prints on a new roll. One of the side effects of this problem is that it appears that when the printer pushes the paper in and out after I reload the roll, the paper is pushed against the Roll Paper Cover. This has resulted in scuff marks that noticeably affect how the paper receives the ink, but the scuffing is visible under certain light even in the non-printed areas. The Hahn FAP paper is pretty thick and it tends to expand off of the roll like a coil spring making it more likely to impact the Roll Paper Cover. After a number of prints, I get no loading errors and all runs fine.
Is it possible to remove the cover and run the printer without it?
I appreciate any advice on this problem.

Craig
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:11:29 am by jschone »

Pacific Image Works

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 01:58:37 am »

Quote from: jschone
Dear Craig, I always print with the paper cover open on the 9800, for heavier fine art papers this is a must. If you would like to take it away completely, I see no reason why not.

Jochem

Thanks for the reply. I thought the printer might know it is open and refuse printing, although admitedly I haven't tried it. Even open, won't the paper rub against the cover? Do you know if it is easy to remove?

Craig
Pages: [1]   Go Up