Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X-Rite Pulse ColorElite - fails with Snow Leopard!  (Read 6067 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
X-Rite Pulse ColorElite - fails with Snow Leopard!
« on: October 15, 2009, 04:51:21 pm »

Unfortunately, Snow Leopard does not see the USB devices of X-Rites Pulse ColorElite.
Spoke with their Tech Support today and confirmed - only suggestion was to try Disk Repair for the System Drive, then reboot.

Did that - failed to see devices.

X-Rite states they have NO plans to fix as it's a discontinued product.
Shame as it worked perfectly for me.

Jack

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 05:07:59 pm »

It's a very good profiling instrument and would be unfortunate to have to replace it just because Apple up-graded the OS. It doesn't say much for X-Rite that they won't up-date a driver for a new OS just because the product is discontinued. That kind of policy could give customers pause for concern about buying their current products insofar as operating systems will change more frequently than their products lose their usefulness for other reasons. Anyhow, if your Mac can run Windows, perhaps install the Windows driver for the Pulse Elite and work it that way. Mine is working fine on Windows XP.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 05:23:18 pm »

I agree, and I'm open to suggestions of what to replace the Pulse with, whether it be X-Rite product or something better.
The Pulse was an expensive device when I purchased it and I used it in conjunction with my Epson 4800 driver, ColorBurst.
Seems a real shame to have to waste it when it works perfectly for what I do just because there is a USB recognition problem!

Jack

Quote from: MarkDS
It's a very good profiling instrument and would be unfortunate to have to replace it just because Apple up-graded the OS. It doesn't say much for X-Rite that they won't up-date a driver for a new OS just because the product is discontinued. That kind of policy could give customers pause for concern about buying their current products insofar as operating systems will change more frequently than their products lose their usefulness for other reasons. Anyhow, if your Mac can run Windows, perhaps install the Windows driver for the Pulse Elite and work it that way. Mine is working fine on Windows XP.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 06:18:36 pm »

Quote from: Lust4Life
I agree, and I'm open to suggestions of what to replace the Pulse with
Jack

I was suggesting that istead of repacing the Pulse Elite, run it on Windows on your Mac if your Mac is capable of running Windows.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 07:10:56 pm »

Noticed that but the printer driver only runs on a Mac.
Jack

I was suggesting that istead of repacing the Pulse Elite, run it on Windows on your Mac if your Mac is capable of running Windows.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 07:24:48 pm »

Quote from: Lust4Life
Noticed that but the printer driver only runs on a Mac.
Jack

Unless something in the following I'm unaware of can't be done, shouldn't be a problem. All you need Windows for is to run the profiling. Run the Pulse through Windows. It creates a target to print. Save it. Go back to Mac and print the target through Mac.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 08:56:58 pm »

Sorry, don't know what was running through my mind when I wrote that - the principle is OK, but I got the order mixed up. First print the Pulse Elite target using your Mac driver so the printer will work. Then switch to Windows and measure the target with your Pulse Elite. Store the resulting profile in your driver folder for the Mac. See if you can do that. Would be interested to hear back.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 09:35:35 pm »

Mark,

Hmmm - I have Parellels on the Mac, and I run a two monitor system.
Might work for creating a profile, but I wonder if the monitor drivers from XP Pro/Parellels will correlate with the G5 video drivers and give me an accurate display.

Thus what I see on the screen has no correlation to the printed image, even if the printed image has a custom profile.  Sure the profile to the printer is valid relative to the digital file sent to the printer, but no value for what I see on the monitor.

So, what is really gained if you can't have the two varibles (monitor/print) in agreement with each other??

Heck, I'll give it a try in the morning and let you know what I come up with - interesting experiment and sure would beat having to waste the Pulse ColorElite!

Don't think I'm missing anything here, but clue me in if I am.
Jack

Sorry, don't know what was running through my mind when I wrote that - the principle is OK, but I got the order mixed up. First print the Pulse Elite target using your Mac driver so the printer will work. Then switch to Windows and measure the target with your Pulse Elite. Store the resulting profile in your driver folder for the Mac. See if you can do that. Would be interested to hear back.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:38:52 pm by Lust4Life »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 10:17:54 pm »

Profiling the printer doesn't require a colour-managed display - you need that anyhow, but it is independent from profiling the printer. Both devices will relate back to the file numbers and the look-up tables in their respective profiles, but not to eachother. The only things profiling the printer require are the printed target (done the correct way with NO COLOR MANAGEMENT in either the printer driver or Photoshop) and reading the target with the Pulse so the Pulse software can create the printer profile which you then store with your Mac profiles. Whatever you use to profile your display or displays - continue to use it. That profile will cause the display to reproduce the file numbers correctly on the display. And the printer profile will cause the printer to print the numbers correctly. In principle this should all work - in practice - ??? you need to try it - maybe you'll like it!  
Pages: [1]   Go Up