Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange iPF 5100 color shift problem  (Read 1929 times)

cgeisler

Strange iPF 5100 color shift problem
« on: October 15, 2009, 03:39:50 pm »

Strange iPF 5100 Color Shift Problem

Before I shut down my iPf 5100 last June it printed perfect color and totally neutral black and whites on both Ilford Gold Fiber Silk and Harman FB Al papers using custom profiles supplied by ColorHQ.

When I resumed printing in September I did a nozzle check and ran a cleaning cycle and all was well until I brought up the image in the 16 bit pluginn in CS3 on my Mac Pro running OS 10.5.7. A red/ magenta cast was clearly evident in the plugin preview and the resulting print reflected this cast, compared to what I saw in Photoshop (which was neutral) through my calibrated monitor. A B+W image plugin preview had the same cast, and the print reflected this cast. To compensate within the print driver required the following changes to the Color Settings:
Cyan +6
Magenta -6 to -9
Yellow -6
Brightness -5
Contrast +5
Saturation +5
Gray Adj -18.

This "kludge" produced colors that closely matched the Photoshop image in both color and also gave neutral (though slightly different then ABW) B+W prints.

Brian at ColorHQ suggested that the profiles might be corrupted and promptly resent  them to me. They made no difference.
He suggested recalibrating the printer. I did so; no change.
I recalibrated my monitor; no change

Then the mystery deepened. I tried printing trough PS3 directly, soft proofing the image. The soft proof showed a distinctly cyan/blue shift (the opposite of above) and printed that way.

I then printed through the 16-bit plugin in Digital Photo Pro and without any changes to the color settings, (everything at 0), the photo's were totally neutral, just as they had been last June.

I updated the driver and  plugin to the latest, with no change, the PS plugin  remained too red/magenta, PS itself too blue/cyan and DPP right on.
With little hope I updated to 10.5.8. No change.

The only remaining thing to do that I can think of is reinstalling PS, a chore I 'm not looking forward to.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Carl

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 10:38:22 am »

Carl,

The latest driver and plug in for the iPF5100 are for Snow Leopard and Photoshop CS4, so make sure you have the correct drivers for your system.
Since the problem only occurs in Photoshop, it is logical to assume that the problem lies with the application.

The first step to troubleshooting Photoshop is to delete the preferences. Replacing the Prefs is as easy as pressing down Command-Option-Shift (Mac) or Control-Alt-Shift (Windows) immediately after you start launching Photoshop. (Don't hold down the modifier keys before you launch, press them immediately afterward and hold them down until you see the dialog box.) You'll be asked if you want to delete the "Adobe Photoshop Settings File." Rather than replacing the Photoshop Prefs file, this replaces the entire Settings folder, include Color Settings, Actions, ToolPresets, and all of the other settings files.
Gerald J Skrocki

cgeisler

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:57:06 am »

Quote from: jerryrock
Carl,

The latest driver and plug in for the iPF5100 are for Snow Leopard and Photoshop CS4, so make sure you have the correct drivers for your system.

Since the problem only occurs in Photoshop, it is logical to assume that the problem lies with the application.

The first step to troubleshooting Photoshop is to delete the preferences. Replacing the Prefs is as easy as pressing down Command-Option-Shift (Mac) or Control-Alt-Shift (Windows) immediately after you start launching Photoshop. (Don't hold down the modifier keys before you launch, press them immediately afterward and hold them down until you see the dialog box.) You'll be asked if you want to delete the "Adobe Photoshop Settings File." Rather than replacing the Photoshop Prefs file, this replaces the entire Settings folder, include Color Settings, Actions, ToolPresets, and all of the other settings files.

Jerry, Thank you for your reply.
The Canon updates are for CS3 and Leopard.
Should I delete the Prefs first, and if that doesn't work, then the Settings File?

Carl

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 11:16:15 am »

Since you are not certain what may be corrupted, I would delete the settings. Photoshop will create new default settings.
Gerald J Skrocki

cgeisler

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 01:53:55 pm »

Quote from: jerryrock
Since you are not certain what may be corrupted, I would delete the settings. Photoshop will create new default settings.

Jerry,

I deleted the Settings File, to no effect. To get a neutral print the plugin color settings changes were still needed. But I wondered if I had done it right because I thought that I would lose my custom actions with the reset and I didn't. Thoroughly confused!

Carl
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:05:03 pm by cgeisler »
Pages: [1]   Go Up