Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newfoundland photographic trip weather/location advice  (Read 4080 times)

dimapant

• NITAL - nikonphotographer
Newfoundland photographic trip weather/location advice
« on: October 15, 2009, 01:58:56 am »

Hi to all of you!

With my son and a friend, all of us Italian amateur photographers, we would  to pay a trip to Newfoundland, for a duration of  about one week, in the area of St. John’s and surroundings, renting a car and moving around to shoot sea landscapes, fishing villages, forests and so fort.

We are planning right now the trip to be made in the spring 2010, very in advance, to better organize everything, and we will be in holidays, so we can change the season, the period of the trip, in order to have good weather conditions and a proper light, avoiding fog and rain.

We kindly ask you:
1)   the names of some nice place where to go to take good shoots as above
2)   if middle of  April, beginning of May is a good season to get suitable light, with some sun, avoiding bad weather: if it is not, which is the best period to stay there.

Many thanks in advance to all of you for your help!

Best regards from Lucca, a small and very nice city in Tuscany, an other good photographic place
here in  Italy.

Alessandro.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:59:46 am by dimapant »

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 07:56:40 am »

Alessandro,

My five week journey to Newfoundland was sadly cut short due to my father-in-law’s death (3rd week in) and I only made it as far Gander (I drove from Port aux Basques). Prior to the journey I had planned on visiting specific locations, however, I found beauty nearly anywhere I went in Newfoundland. The landscape varies but I found that most seaside locations, whether in towns or parks, offered magnificent photographic opportunities. (I suspect this can be said of any geographic location.) My trip was in June 2007, late spring (I also made my way north to Cartwright, Labrador on the same journey).

I had no difficulty locating a hotel in St. John’s, but for some reason they got booked up quickly, so plan ahead (I ended up cancelling those reservations). For my trip I planned on shooting along the coast near St. John’s, not specifically in the city. If you have time, try to make your way to the Placentia Bay or Trinity Bay sides as well. Good luck.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
http://www.jecxz.com/

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 11:39:50 am »

Alessandro: I'd start here: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/  It's the official provincial tourism site, and they'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

dimapant

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 02:45:20 pm »

Quote from: jecxz
Alessandro,

My five week journey to Newfoundland was sadly cut short due to my father-in-law’s death (3rd week in) and I only made it as far Gander (I drove from Port aux Basques). Prior to the journey I had planned on visiting specific locations, however, I found beauty nearly anywhere I went in Newfoundland. The landscape varies but I found that most seaside locations, whether in towns or parks, offered magnificent photographic opportunities. (I suspect this can be said of any geographic location.) My trip was in June 2007, late spring (I also made my way north to Cartwright, Labrador on the same journey).

I had no difficulty locating a hotel in St. John’s, but for some reason they got booked up quickly, so plan ahead (I ended up cancelling those reservations). For my trip I planned on shooting along the coast near St. John’s, not specifically in the city. If you have time, try to make your way to the Placentia Bay or Trinity Bay sides as well. Good luck.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
http://www.jecxz.com/

Many thanks for your message, and I am sorry for death of your father-in-law and your troubles.

We will follow your suggestions either for early booking and the places!

Our compliments for your gorgeous photographs: bravo!

best regards
Alessandro

dimapant

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 02:46:56 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Alessandro: I'd start here: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/  It's the official provincial tourism site, and they'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

Mike.

This is very usefull site: many thanks for your help too!
Best regards
Alessandro

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 09:33:29 pm »

Buona sera Alessandro,

Abbiamo visitato Newfoundland due volte, in 2005 e 2008 (photo), due belle vacanze. E guasi impossibile di non trovare dei belli posti, ma dovete essere preparati per la pioggia. La primavera e la stagione delle "iceberg", e si vedono quasi sempre a St. John's e d'intorno.

E facile di fare troppo strada in auto, Newfoundland e molto grande, ma pero vale la pena d'andare a Cape St. Mary's, a due ore e mezza de St. John's.

Vi suggerisco de stare nei B&B, sono in generale meglio degli hotel (per esempio, Brigus Seacliff a un oretta di St. John's).  

Ci a surpreso d'imparare il storico del posto, qui in Canada non s'impara toppo delle nostre regione.

(Scusi degli errore, e raro che scrivo l'Italiano.)

Bon viaggio,
--
Robert

dimapant

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 03:09:46 am »

Quote from: Robert Roaldi
Buona sera Alessandro,

Abbiamo visitato Newfoundland due volte, in 2005 e 2008 (photo), due belle vacanze. E guasi impossibile di non trovare dei belli posti, ma dovete essere preparati per la pioggia. La primavera e la stagione delle "iceberg", e si vedono quasi sempre a St. John's e d'intorno.

E facile di fare troppo strada in auto, Newfoundland e molto grande, ma pero vale la pena d'andare a Cape St. Mary's, a due ore e mezza de St. John's.

Vi suggerisco de stare nei B&B, sono in generale meglio degli hotel (per esempio, Brigus Seacliff a un oretta di St. John's).  

Ci a surpreso d'imparare il storico del posto, qui in Canada non s'impara toppo delle nostre regione.

(Scusi degli errore, e raro che scrivo l'Italiano.)

Bon viaggio,

Robert,
prima di tutto, bravo per il tuo italiano e  complimenti per le tue foto, ottime!

Le tue informazioni precise e di fotografo e tue immagini ci danno indicazioni preziose sui luoghi dove andare e ci saranno utilissime.

Ci organizziamo sin da adesso il viaggio e siamo già eccitati per l'evento!

Saluti cordiali

Alessandro

Saluti cordiali

jackperk

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 05:46:15 pm »

Couple years ago did a week in Newfoundland and  recommend, outside of St. John, the town of Twillinggate. Whales offshore and icebergs and a delightful little town, picturesque.

jack

bwphoto

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 09:03:02 pm »

Alessandro, I was born and raised in Newfoundland.  Twillingate area is a great spot, especially in June when the icebergs are around.  That area is called iceberg ally.  Have a look at a local photographer in St. John's www.lanegallery.com he has images from all over the province.  It will give you a good indication of where you want to spend your time as it is a vast Island and a lot of time would be needed to cover it all.

Brian

DaveLon

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 12:02:28 pm »

Planning a trip in 2010 to Newfoundland but constrained as to when we can go.

Would late August into September be significantly less exciting than early June especially for Gros Morne?

Dave S

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 01:48:15 pm »

You might want to look at weather stats but in mid-August 2005 we were there for two weeks. The first week in Gros Morne was sunny, cool, not humid, gorgeous weather for hiking and everything else, and it only rained one morning. We saw a whale surface in the distance in Bonne Bay off Woody Point while having lunch. We then flew to St. John's had constant rain for 6 consecutive days. You just never know, but friends who have lived there say that July-August to early Sept give the best odds. At that time of year there is no real chance of icebergs though, but there is plenty else to see.

A friend described Western Brook Pond in Gros Morne as the place where god practiced before making Eden.
--
Robert

dimapant

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 09:30:56 pm »

Quote from: jackperk
Couple years ago did a week in Newfoundland and  recommend, outside of St. John, the town of Twillinggate. Whales offshore and icebergs and a delightful little town, picturesque.

jack
Many thanks also to you and to Brian (BWPHOTO) for your advices!
we are laying down the itinerary of our trip and this is very usefull.

Best regards
Alessandro
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:33:25 pm by dimapant »

dimapant

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 09:46:55 pm »

Quote from: jackperk

jack
Pages: [1]   Go Up