Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC SpecraView2 - is it worth $250 if you have a colorMunki?  (Read 6124 times)

jpegman

NEC SpecraView2 - is it worth $250 if you have a colorMunki?
« on: October 14, 2009, 08:53:41 pm »

I am looking at purchasing a NEC P221W-BK-SV, and the price difference with and without the SpectraView2 puck and software is $250 ($500 vs $750).

I already have a ColorMunki, and am wondering exactly what the SV2 NEC-X-Rite solution offers that I cannot do with the ColorMunki regarding monitor profiling?

How does the monitors internal 10bit LUT get loaded from ColorMunki, or is this part of what the SV2 supports?

Seaching NEC's website is very frustrating since they keep beating around the bush of exactly what the SV2 solution is/does, how it's implemented, etc.

Jpegman

leuallen

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:01:32 pm »

For what it's worth, even though I had a recent Eye 1, I opted to get my 2690 with Spectraview. I am not sorry. The Spectraview calibration is almost automatic and much easier than the Eye 1. The result is beautiful. I can see differences in color in Photoshop when I use curves and move a color one or two points.

I use the Eye 1 to calibrate my second monitor so all was not lost.

Larry

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:01:44 pm »

Just buy the $99 software and use your Munki.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Paul Sumi

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 09:02:46 pm »

Quote from: jpegman
I am looking at purchasing a NEC P221W-BK-SV, and the price difference with and without the SpectraView2 puck and software is $250 ($500 vs $750).

I already have a ColorMunki, and am wondering exactly what the SV2 NEC-X-Rite solution offers that I cannot do with the ColorMunki regarding monitor profiling?

How does the monitors internal 10bit LUT get loaded from ColorMunki, or is this part of what the SV2 supports?

Seaching NEC's website is very frustrating since they keep beating around the bush of exactly what the SV2 solution is/does, how it's implemented, etc.

Jpegman

Spectraview II directly calibrates the monitor through its hardware LUT.  ColorMunki and its software calibrate through the video card.

You don't have to buy NEC's hardware puck and SpectraView software package.  You can use your current calibration solution.

Or, since you already own the ColorMunki, you can buy just the SpectraView II software directly from NEC USA for $99.

http://www.necdisplay.com/SupportCenter/Mo...s/spectraview2/

Paul

jpegman

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 09:29:11 pm »

Do you know what the software does?  The $89 SVIISOFT-W software has no description on NEC's website. Does it take the ColorMunki profile and load it into the monitor LUT? What kind of handshake occurs between the colormunki and the monitor?

Without a description other than as a download, it is non-refundable, it kind of tells me that if it doesn't do what I expect (since there is no description), I'm stuck.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 09:31:35 pm by jpegman »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 09:37:09 pm »

It takes full advantage of the hardware you have, by fully controlling the panel with the supporting software, turning this into one of the few “Smart Monitors” like the old Artisan, Barco, Pressview. The software fully controls panel and instrument for calibration that’s a one button affair.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jpegman

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 09:50:32 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
It takes full advantage of the hardware you have, by fully controlling the panel with the supporting software, turning this into one of the few “Smart Monitors” like the old Artisan, Barco, Pressview. The software fully controls panel and instrument for calibration that’s a one button affair.

Thanks for the info.
Jpegman

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 09:53:10 pm »

It's worth $250.

-N

Jpegman

adam_k

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 02:26:04 pm »

for what its worth, i have the p221w monitor as well and a color munki and spectraview software and i think its a great combination and dont ever plan on investing on a higher end monitor.

if you have the color munki the software is less than $100, and i can say that i feel like i have a really really really really accurate match from my printer to my monitor and never need to reprint something bc the print dosent meet professional standards

so i dont know if the color munki software alone would get those same results, but i do know and recommend the p221 with spectra view and color munki

CynthiaM

• http://www.cynthiamerzerphotography.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 08:05:46 pm »

Jpegman

It's worth every penny as it makes calibration a piece of cake.  Like Andrew Rodney said in a prior post, the Spectraview software turns the monitor into a smart monitor; the software, video card and monitor talk to each other and all you have to do is click the calibrate button.  You don't have to monkey around with adjusting settings as part of the calibration process.  You just set up your target values.  Getting the right luminance value might take a little trial and error; do a search and you should find some info on this.
Cynthia Merzer
[url=http://www.cynthiame

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 03:29:58 am »

Jpegman

You can get a good overview looking at the instruction manual.

http://www.necdisplay.com/supportcenter/mo...iew2/downloads/
Pages: [1]   Go Up