Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuehle Baryta FB, has anyone tried it  (Read 3540 times)

tived

• http://
Hahnemuehle Baryta FB, has anyone tried it
« on: October 14, 2009, 08:38:07 pm »

Hi Guys,

have any of you tried out this paper yet HM Baryta FB?
How does it perform.
Surface,
does it scratch easily,
how does it feel?
have you been impressed with it.
 which printer do you use

?????

thanks for taking your time, I currently use HM Photo Rag Baryta which I really like, but its very expensive. Also looking for a cheaper alternative for this

Henrik

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 03:16:02 am »

Quote from: tived
Hi Guys,

How does it perform.
Surface,
does it scratch easily,
how does it feel?
 which printer do you use

?????

thanks for taking your time, I currently use HM Photo Rag Baryta which I really like, but its very expensive. Also looking for a cheaper alternative for this

Henrik

I think I posted on this already.

It still has a scratchable surface but less so than others and resists finger prints a lot better than PhotoRag B.

It has a brightened base which is in my opinion too much OBA. It is inline with other brightened papers though so no surprises in that respect. It has a defined tooth in the surface which should cut down on gloss differential problems, almost eliminate them. Quite rigid, hence mounting should be easy enough. It is a wood pulp paper so it has more snap to the base making it a paper that will resist humidity expansion / contraction more than most cotton bases within limits of course.

Hahnemuhle said it would be competing against the Ilford Silk market. The papers are different , I would say the Hahnemuhle has the touch of fine art that Ilford does not. Yet Ilford has the touch of extreme in a photo paper and excellent surface structure that Hahnemuhle does not>

tived

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 01:47:23 am »

Quote from: neil snape
I think I posted on this already.

It still has a scratchable surface but less so than others and resists finger prints a lot better than PhotoRag B.

It has a brightened base which is in my opinion too much OBA. It is inline with other brightened papers though so no surprises in that respect. It has a defined tooth in the surface which should cut down on gloss differential problems, almost eliminate them. Quite rigid, hence mounting should be easy enough. It is a wood pulp paper so it has more snap to the base making it a paper that will resist humidity expansion / contraction more than most cotton bases within limits of course.

Hahnemuhle said it would be competing against the Ilford Silk market. The papers are different , I would say the Hahnemuhle has the touch of fine art that Ilford does not. Yet Ilford has the touch of extreme in a photo paper and excellent surface structure that Hahnemuhle does not>

Thanks Neil,

I value your input - I haven't seen a post on this already, I actually went to your website to check first, as I really liked your review of the HM PR Baryta, and this is now my stock standard. but in the economical climate i am finding it a bit expensive to use, but then again I haven't been happy with the alternatives so far. I have no idea what the FB paper will cost here in Oz, yet.

thanks

Henrik

PS: was there ever made a fix for the Z3100 for being too red? in many prints?

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 10:11:27 am »

Quote from: tived
Hi Guys,

How does it perform.
Surface,
does it scratch easily,
how does it feel?
 which printer do you use

?????

Henrik

I looked at this paper, but ruled it out due to it's gloss surface. This brings me to a philosophical question .... as to why people like high gloss papers?
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Guigui

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 10:37:00 am »

Quote from: bellimages
I looked at this paper, but ruled it out due to it's gloss surface. This brings me to a philosophical question .... as to why people like high gloss papers?
Because, IMHO, in the popular culture, everything that shines is more likely to evoke luxury and suggest high quality and prestige than matte objects. Although we know all the printing and viewing qualities of matte papers, most people don't have a clue, so I don't see why papers should be an exception to this rule. Again, this is just my attempt at explaining it.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 12:45:02 pm »

Before darkroom papers were pretty shiny, even more so when glazed.

The Baryta FB ( which when I tested was called Ultra Gloss 350 sorry for any confusion) is shiny but not more than a Glazed FB paper. In fact quite a bit less.

The paper is a mix of wanted features from other makers. It has a look like Ilford Silk, a base more robust like Harman , a feel of the FA non plastic papers, and a rendering like other Hahenmuhle Fine Art papers for a price that permits printing expos for a lot less than the cotton rag archival papers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up