Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Becoming a great Architectural Photographer!?  (Read 86890 times)

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
Becoming a great Architectural Photographer!?
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2009, 08:21:15 pm »

Quote from: rethmeier
Well done Marc!

N.B Nice to have 900 projects to shoot as well.

I think here in Australia there is not that scope of work available and I think you made a good choice of setting up shop in Taiwan.

thanks willem!
indeed the scope of work is amazing here and i feel i have just scratched the surface!!

marc gerritsen

« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2009, 08:45:46 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
I think it comes down to the argument of making photographs versus taking photographs.  Obviously there is more than one way to skin a cat and Marc's approach works well for him.  Most of my clients have worked with me for 5 - 10 years and trust in my judgement.  I don't need to approach a room from every possible angle because by the time I've set the tripod down I've already made 50 decisions.  I ask my clients, "What is the purpose of this room or what do you need to say here?" and they trust me to distill the essence of that design solution into a two dimensional image.  I'm hired because the clients trust my vision, appreciate my comprehension of how the architecture works and know that the shoot will always be a collaborative process.

I think it's a little safer to makes dozens of photographs... there will be several acceptable ones.  For me, though, those will always be snapshots.  I think in the multi-shot process you edit later to try and tell the story.  I edit on the scene and then when the client and and I agree upon the composition, I light it to bring out the depth of the space and the richness of the materials.

My problem is my own ego.  If I can't resolve my client's needs while staying true to my own personal vision then the work is just not rewarding.  I have to craft the photographs.  I have to own them.  If you're just moving the camera around the room and pressing the button... how can you really own those images?

I feel very fortunate that in a time when photography and the singular image have been dramatically devalued, I can still work in a fashion that lets me take pride in every shoot.

This whole debate can become really personal and in the end it's just about what makes you happy and successful.  I wish that to all of you and hope I haven't stepped on too many toes.

-CB

all good and well.........but
i don't like to be perceived though as some guy who just puts down the camera and shoots off a lot of shots nilly willy
and hopes of to get something out of the spray.
each shot i take has a reason and tells a particular story about the location, design, lay out or detail.
each time i put my tripod down I make a clear desicion and  adjust height and/or angle to get what i perceive as the essence of the design.
having worked for over 20 years in the design industry doing architectural and interior design i know now
what the designer/architects wants to say and can convey that quickly and efficiently into 2d

CBarrett

« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2009, 09:03:26 pm »

Quote from: marc gerritsen
all good and well.........but
i don't like to be perceived though as some guy who just puts down the camera and shoots off a lot of shots nilly willy
and hopes of to get something out of the spray.
each shot i take has a reason and tells a particular story about the location, design, lay out or detail.
each time i put my tripod down I make a clear desicion and  adjust height and/or angle to get what i perceive as the essence of the design.
having worked for over 20 years in the design industry doing architectural and interior design i know now
what the designer/architects wants to say and can convey that quickly and efficiently into 2d

Now we're getting somewhere!  And perhaps we do speak some of the same language.  Though we may disagree on the time necessary to properly render an interior, I do find your exterior work to be exceptional.

This is what's great about the discourse available here!  Rainer's work has challenged me to rethink exterior lighting and your approach has caused me to reinvestigate my own.  Very cool.

-C

marc gerritsen

« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2009, 09:10:17 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
Now we're getting somewhere!  And perhaps we do speak some of the same language.  Though we may disagree on the time necessary to properly render an interior, I do find your exterior work to be exceptional.

This is what's great about the discourse available here!  Rainer's work has challenged me to rethink exterior lighting and your approach has caused me to reinvestigate my own.  Very cool.

-C

thanks for the compliments
your work is certainly outstanding as well
and yes i do enjoy this frank discussion tremendously

John Collins

« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2009, 10:14:39 pm »

Thanks to all of you. This exchange has been most enlightening.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2009, 10:16:07 pm »

And I'm having a GREAT time "peeking in" on these exchanges - great dialogs with very open exchanges.
Learning a lot - diversity in styles that "work" being one of them.    
Jack

Quote from: marc gerritsen
thanks for the compliments
your work is certainly outstanding as well
and yes i do enjoy this frank discussion tremendously

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2009, 12:24:28 am »

Kirk, when the perfect angle for my lights happens to leave them reflecting all too obviously in an opposing glass wall, I simply do another exposure with those lights turned off and "paint them out" later.

That is a technique I commonly use too, sometimes in combination with HDR. Oh the the tools we have today!
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

MHFA

« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2009, 02:06:25 am »

Last week I was in the office of an Austrian Architect which works since the early 60`s. From all his Projects he has professional pictures. When I saw all the pictures I must say: we don`t need all this techniques. I have not seen any HDR Picture which I really prefer to the wonderful b+w prints of the 60s to 70s I saw there.

But in my opinion it is also much easier to take pictures from buildings which are made from phantastic architects than to make publicity shots for current standard projects. In this forum I saw a lot of boring architecture (architecture, not pictures) and the photographer must be very creative to make a good shot.

Michael Heinrich

Murray Fredericks

• http://www.murrayfredericks.com
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2009, 02:52:57 am »

2 weeks to make this shot work - mostly due to the bad run of weather we have been having in Sydney. The building briefed is the white one on the hill. It was not for the architects but for the hotel and the actual building was not going to sell itself...

This morning the light worked just right for a moment as the sun poked in and out of the clouds on the horizon...

Cheers

Murray
Exhibition Website   http://www.murrayfr

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2009, 02:59:05 am »

Quote from: Murray Fredericks
2 weeks to make this shot work - mostly due to the bad run of weather we have been having in Sydney. The building briefed is the white one on the hill. It was not for the architects but for the hotel and the actual building was not going to sell itself...

This morning the light worked just right for a moment as the sun poked in and out of the clouds on the horizon...

Cheers

Murray

wow.
so great light.

rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2009, 05:41:26 am »

Quote from: MHFA
Last week I was in the office of an Austrian Architect which works since the early 60`s. From all his Projects he has professional pictures. When I saw all the pictures I must say: we don`t need all this techniques. I have not seen any HDR Picture which I really prefer to the wonderful b+w prints of the 60s to 70s I saw there.

But in my opinion it is also much easier to take pictures from buildings which are made from phantastic architects than to make publicity shots for current standard projects. In this forum I saw a lot of boring architecture (architecture, not pictures) and the photographer must be very creative to make a good shot.

Michael Heinrich

i think its very difficult if not impossible to make good photographs of bad architecture, which exceeds the pure "wow" effect caused by sunset or spectaculous light settings. if i am confrontated with "bad" architecture i find it most difficult to shoot details, often there are NO details which are worth to be captured.
b+w: i still love it and digital gives a very wide range of possibilities here. in most projects i choose several motifs which i convert to b+w , sometimes i get motifs which work only in b+w and i even dont render a color version of. them. most marketing guys of architect firms dont like bw , most architects do.

whats "bad" architecture?
in general i would say this is architecture where the only interest is to create money, where money counts in a way that people prefer to use cheapest material- independent f they have to spend the double amount five years later for mantainment, and of course where architects are working which have no feeling for their job and no intention , means nothing to "say". its as in all works.
i dont like doctors too who wants to make as fast as possible as much money as possible and treat me that way ....

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:59:48 am by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Murray Fredericks

• http://www.murrayfredericks.com
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2009, 06:05:35 am »

Quote from: rainer_v
i think its very difficult if not impossible to make good photographs of bad architecture, which exceeds the pure "wow" effect caused by sunset or spectaculous light settings. if i am confrontated with "bad" architecture i find it most difficult to shoot details, often there are NO details which are worth to be captured.

Absoltuely Agree,

the hardest thing is to shoot bad or just visually boring architecture - and it get's even worse when the client expects results that look like the best examples in your folio...if you find out before then you can manage expectations but if you find out after...

Murray
Exhibition Website   http://www.murrayfr

Harold Clark

« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2009, 07:31:25 am »

Absoltuely Agree,

the hardest thing is to shoot bad or just visually boring architecture - and it get's even worse when the client expects results that look like the best examples in your folio...if you find out before then you can manage expectations but if you find out after...

Murray

One of my clients is a manufacturer of building materials, they supply to the entire range of the industry. This includes some wonderful commercial buildings and custom homes, but also some hideous subdivisions which consist entirely of garages with  houses tacked on the back. I really don't think you can call this architecture, they are mainly a product of the eyesore school of design. I asked why they even bother to shoot these, but it is politically important since these builders are good customers and feel left out if their projects aren't featured as well.

Some of my more enjoyable projects are industrial interiors, the multi coloured pipes, valves & machines etc. offer lots of potential.

vgogolak

• http://
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2009, 08:15:27 am »

Cheers

Murray

I like the light, but why the long exposure? Did the client want a 'pacific' ocean? I can understand the DOF issue, but wonder whether just a faster shot, with slightly OOF  forground.
I had similar problem in Biarritz, cloudy rainy for a week. Then a little light, but really grey-needed a little PS tone work. but I was satisfied.
Better if I had the 35mm or 45mm and closer, but the DOF at f 11 was fine. (I wanted the wave because of a 'beach rescue"  tournament that was scheduled! They chicked out  :-))

Victor

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2009, 12:04:34 pm »

the hardest thing is to shoot bad or just visually boring architecture

I agree. I have had the opportunity to photograph some of this countries best and probably some its worst architecture. There is Architecture and there is architecture. There are bad designs by great architects and great designs by unknowns. I try not to indulge in judging or critiquing my clients designs before a shoot. Every client deserves my best effort and that is hard to do if I have poisoned my thinking ahead of time. Instead I try to get inside the head of my clients and understand their enthusiasm for the project and illustrate that. As a result, some of my most satisfying work has been great images of mediocre design.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 12:04:58 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

gwhitf

« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2009, 12:17:26 pm »

I found this article, and the connected related links, interesting, in the context of architectural photography:

http://jmcolberg.com/weblog/2009/11/review...zeski.html#more

Anders P

« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2009, 03:32:37 pm »

I've enjoyed the discussions regarding architectural photography very much and learned a lot from it and also by checking out your websites (Rainer, Kirk, Christopher etc.). Shooting "bad" architecture I think also has some good sides to it. Currently most of the buildings I get to shoot are not very interesting (http://www.andersportman.com/tool/index.php?page=architecture.html). But being in this business for only 3 years, I see it as a way of entering the business and as an opportunity to learn the basic skills. Also as my clients are 99% of the time in an insane hurry (i.e. consultants selling the buildings), I seldom get the opportunity to wait for a good light which is sad of course. On the other hand a shortage of time has forced me to streamline my shooting technique and work flow which I hope will pay off in the future.

Following the discussion has given me a lot of ideas on how to improve my work and try to move up the architectural photography ladder  Thanks for an inspiring discussion and the opportunity to get familiar with some great pieces of work!

//Anders

marc gerritsen

« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2009, 06:37:22 pm »

bad architecture vs good architecture?

shot this last month in Oviedo Spain, a typically designed building by the spanish architect Calatrava
from an esthetical point of view you can say wow what great architecture, the building on the top seems to float
it has fantastic lines etc etc

I took this shot from a building across it, somehow worked my way passed security got to the 10th floor and started ringing doorbells
This old lady opened the door and in my basic spanish I explained her that I wanted to take a shot of the building
she let me in, I took some shots and asked her if she liked it.
for at least 10 minutes she chewed my ear of as to how bad this building was from the perspective of someone who lives near it
the building was too close as you can see to other residences, it was totally overbearing for the whole neigborhood
their was a football field previously and somehow i understood that the city goverment needed money
and sold it to a developer who contracted the "starchitect" calatrava
they probably thought if Bilbao can do it so can we!!

I think that many of the most famous designers have ceased to take an interest in the practical effectiveness of
their buildings because they have become obsessed with their status as ‘artists’ or starchitects

What needs to be taking into account is not just the estheatics but structure, psychology, sociology, community planning, and of
course the many aspects of visual design. Apparently many the modern “starchitects have forgotten many of the pieces
that result in a well-rounded building.

an other example; Frank Gehry’s Los Angeles Philharmonic building;  This sculptural phenom, clad in polished aluminum,
reflected so much light into nearby apartments (raising the temperature by a reported 15 degrees) that Gehry’s
building had to be covered with an unattractive fabric.

btw photo still needs retouching
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:37:40 pm by marc gerritsen »

marc gerritsen

« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2009, 06:38:58 pm »

false alarm thought the photo could not be attached!
but re-edited in previous post anyway
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:36:13 pm by marc gerritsen »

CBarrett

« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2009, 09:43:45 am »

By the way, Jack.... to get back to the original question...

I've been doing this 18 years and I consider myself a damn good architectural photographer.... I've still got my sights set on "great"!

Ezra Stoller, Ken and Bill Hedrich, Julius Shulman.... great.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up