Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick question on profiling an Epson 3800  (Read 3265 times)

dave_in_gva

Quick question on profiling an Epson 3800
« on: October 13, 2009, 02:45:09 pm »

Hi, feel a bit silly as I thought I should know this.

I have a new Epson 3800 that I am profiling for color and black and white. For color I'm using Bill Atkinson's 1728 Eye One target.

In the printer driver dialog (I am running driver version 6.5) there are two areas where I am not 100% sure of what settings I should specify:

Color Controls gives me a choice to specify "Mode" where I believe the best choice is EPSON Standard (sRGB), and Gamma where I can choose between 1.8 and 2.2.

The other area is back in the Print Dialog itself....I'm embarassed to say (but I haven't profiled since setting up my 2200 years ago) but I forget whether I should specify Printer Manages Colors, Photoshop Manages Colors, or No Color Management.

Sorry for the rookie questions but thanks if profiling experts can get me set straight on these 2 areas (Mode and Gamma, as well as Color Handling).

Best,

Dave M

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 05:31:23 pm »

For making prints of targets to be used for generating printer profiles you want NO COLOR MANAGEMENT anywhere (the printer or the program). Turn it all OFF.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

dave_in_gva

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 01:16:20 am »

Thanks Mark, that's clear and helpful.

Re my question on mode and gamma. Any help on what I should be specifying here?

Best,

Dave M

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 02:37:30 am »

Quote from: dave_in_gva
Thanks Mark, that's clear and helpful.

Re my question on mode and gamma. Any help on what I should be specifying here?

Best,

Dave M
When you select under Mode - Custom - "No Colour Adjustment" there are no options for Mode or Gamma.
David

dave_in_gva

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 03:33:14 am »

What driver are you using David? I have 6.5 off the USA Epson website.

I'm away from that computer at the moment, but I'm fairly certain I have a choice of either Color, ABW or Black at the top level of the driver. As long as I select Color I have access to Color Settings which then force me to choose Mode (choices are things like Vivid, Standard, Charts and Graphs etc.) and Gamma (1.8 or 2.2).

Best,

Dave M

David Sutton

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 03:44:50 am »

What driver are you using David? I have 6.5 off the USA Epson website.

I'm away from that computer at the moment, but I'm fairly certain I have a choice of either Color, ABW or Black at the top level of the driver. As long as I select Color I have access to Color Settings which then force me to choose Mode (choices are things like Vivid, Standard, Charts and Graphs etc.) and Gamma (1.8 or 2.2).

Best,

Dave M
6.5 from who knows where. I have the 3800 printing preferences on screen in front of me. When colour is selected under media settings and the mode is "automatic" , then yes, you have those options. As soon as you switch to "custom" and select "no colour adjustment", which should be the default IMHO   , then the "advanced" button is greyed out.
David
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:46:55 am by Taquin »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 08:33:58 am »

Can you post a screenshot?
Eric Chan

dave_in_gva

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 08:45:22 am »

Hi Eric et al...

Sorry I have fixed my own problem last night. I profiled first for black and white using the 51 step QTR stepwedge which did require specifying some color control from the driver in order to select the Dark tone curve for best linearity. I then saved that as a driver config meaning to modify it slightly when I did the color profiling....once I got back into the driver and saw I had some color options to set up I forgot I should back out and say No Color Adjustment and instead drilled down to find those choices I mentioned earlier. Sorry for wasting everyone's time...

David

David Sutton

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 11:10:39 pm »

Hi Eric et al...

Sorry I have fixed my own problem last night. I profiled first for black and white using the 51 step QTR stepwedge which did require specifying some color control from the driver in order to select the Dark tone curve for best linearity. I then saved that as a driver config meaning to modify it slightly when I did the color profiling....once I got back into the driver and saw I had some color options to set up I forgot I should back out and say No Color Adjustment and instead drilled down to find those choices I mentioned earlier. Sorry for wasting everyone's time...

David
David- it's never a waste of time. Glad you got it sorted.
David S

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 11:47:03 am »

Also glad to hear you got it worked out!
Eric Chan

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 12:08:38 pm »

Same here!

Mark
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up