Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flash Diffusers. Exploring frame coverage... 16 units tested.  (Read 2280 times)

photogreenls

Flash Diffusers. Exploring frame coverage... 16 units tested.
« on: October 13, 2009, 01:08:02 pm »

I've been wondering about the flash diffuser frame coverage for quite a while. Finally, I did some testing.
Up until this moment I have posted results for 16 diffusers in 22 configurations. I think knowing flash diffuser frame coverage is important in outdoor photography. It's also good to know for the indoor shooting, too, since it gives you and idea of what kind of fill light you can get.

So, here the test: Flash Diffuser Frame Coverage Test

Mark_Tuttle

• http://
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 07:22:46 pm »

Thank you very much.

It would be too 'punny' to say that the test was illuminating, so let me say it was educational instead.

Mark
Mark Tuttle
MarkTuttle dot Net

photogreenls

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 02:08:49 pm »

Quote from: Mark_Tuttle
Thank you very much.

It would be too 'punny' to say that the test was illuminating, so let me say it was educational instead.

Mark

Hi Mark,
I'm glad you find the info useful. I'll try to add more diffusers over time.
Cheers!

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 08:05:48 am »

Interesting, but I've never really "gotten" this thing with tiny flash diffusers. I mean, if you're serious about getting even, open lighting, there's no getting around the physics of it. You need a larger apparent light source, which means something like an umbrella, softbox, or large reflector to bounce your flash off of. Yes, you can modestly increase the apparent size of the light source with a little diffuser gadget, but most of the benefit is derived from bouncing the resulting light off the ceiling or wall, rather than the gadget itself.

You'll get a lot more bang for your buck by spending $50-$80 on an inexpensive umbrella and lightstand.

coles

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 06:24:33 pm »

There are 2 flaws with this test:
1. I did not see a shot without any diffuser to put the others in perspective
2. The Sto-fen omnibounce should have been included because it's extremely popular.

mgtuttle

• http://MarkTuttle dot net
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 04:08:11 pm »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
Interesting, but I've never really "gotten" this thing with tiny flash diffusers. I mean, if you're serious about getting even, open lighting, there's no getting around the physics of it. You need a larger apparent light source, which means something like an umbrella, softbox, or large reflector to bounce your flash off of. Yes, you can modestly increase the apparent size of the light source with a little diffuser gadget, but most of the benefit is derived from bouncing the resulting light off the ceiling or wall, rather than the gadget itself.

You'll get a lot more bang for your buck by spending $50-$80 on an inexpensive umbrella and lightstand.

On the other hand an inexpensive umbrella and lightstand isn't too handy when you are shooting a "Day Of The Dead" procession at night with 20,000 people around.  There is definitely a time and place for some of these modifiers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up