Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A phase one/Mamiya grumble  (Read 2828 times)

woof75

A phase one/Mamiya grumble
« on: October 13, 2009, 04:13:20 am »

I use phase and mamiya, AFD1 and P21 (non plus). A year ago a new camera came out, the afd 3, it was going to sort out a shutter lag problem and have improved AF and new lenses would be out anytime with leaf shutters. A year on, a new camera comes out that will sort out the shutter lag problem and will have better AF and can actually be used with the new lenses for only... another 6 grand or so. About once a year after being tempted I say to myself, well I'm glad I didn't bother upgrading this year. I remember one of the big selling points of the plus backs was there ability to transfer files wirelessly after a firmware upgrade that would be coming later in the year...
Fortunately for me, I love the afd1 and they are cheap cheap and I hate the Hasselblad H series, people say the Mamiya feels cheap, the hasselblad to me is another level of cheap and that colour is vomitorious. They weigh a ton, there expensive (I hear unreliable) and the whole thing shakes like anything when you press the button. For people that say the Mamiya lenses are terrible need to actually look at some files, there's nothing between them. I think the reviews that are coming up saying the new schneider lenses are no better than than the Mamiya's is testament to how good the Mamiya lenses are, that 80mm is as good as anything I've ever seen, to me it's perfect, the wider angles aren't quite so great,  the 35mm especially.

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 04:25:53 am »

Hello

Why is it that the Mamiya 35mm gets the bad rap? I have had one now for a number of years and even considered selling it when I got the Mamiya 28mm but after doing some comparisons between the 28mm and my 45mm I have to say that the 35mm lens I have is absolutely superb.

Regards

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 08:38:43 am »

My Mamiya 35mm was a poor performer with 36X48 DBs. It worked fine with a 36X36 16MP DB, but rendered very soft edges on  "full-size"  DBs. I sent the lens to MAC to adjust and they said it was to spec. Last year, I migrated over to a H2F Blad and frequently use the HC 35 lens. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good. It renders focus along the edges much, much better than the Mamiya.

narikin

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 08:53:16 am »

surely I'm not the only one who noticed that in Michaels overview of his time with Leica's optical designer - he mentioned one lens by name as worthy of respect and up to the task - the digital Mamiya 80mm.

I concur - it is amazing. my only grump is its so good that I am getting more moire than I used to, as it resolves the finest distant pattern or micro weave on clothing, that my previous standard lenses blurred!

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 09:00:10 am »

Quote from: woof75
Fortunately for me, I love the afd1 and they are cheap cheap and I hate the Hasselblad H series, people say the Mamiya feels cheap, the hasselblad to me is another level of cheap and that colour is vomitorious. They weigh a ton, there expensive (I hear unreliable) and the whole thing shakes like anything when you press the button. For people that say the Mamiya lenses are terrible need to actually look at some files, there's nothing between them. I think the reviews that are coming up saying the new schneider lenses are no better than than the Mamiya's is testament to how good the Mamiya lenses are, that 80mm is as good as anything I've ever seen, to me it's perfect, the wider angles aren't quite so great,  the 35mm especially.

The Hasselblad H cameras are different than the Mamiya AFDs. Why compare apples to oranges?

I used a Mamiya AFD1 for a couple years. I found the auto-focus to be lacking in low light situations, the mirror lockup awkward, and the low sync speeds difficult. But ultimately, I used the camera in a manner that was not condusive to its capabilities and limitations. Still, I can't say Mamiya AFDs are bad cameras. They are just different.

Among other attributes, the H Blads are modular in that they allow for different viewfinders and power options for the grip.

It's funny to see how passionate people are about equipment.

woof75

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 12:00:56 pm »

Quote from: BobDavid
The Hasselblad H cameras are different than the Mamiya AFDs. Why compare apples to oranges?

I used a Mamiya AFD1 for a couple years. I found the auto-focus to be lacking in low light situations, the mirror lockup awkward, and the low sync speeds difficult. But ultimately, I used the camera in a manner that was not condusive to its capabilities and limitations. Still, I can't say Mamiya AFDs are bad cameras. They are just different.

Among other attributes, the H Blads are modular in that they allow for different viewfinders and power options for the grip.

It's funny to see how passionate people are about equipment.

I do have definite opinions on equipment. I have no loyalty though. The reason I compare H series to Mamiya is that they are the 2 options for MF now. I guess the 35mm lens differs depending on the luck of whether you get a good one or not, mine isn't bad.

BobDavid

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 12:07:55 pm »

Quote from: narikin
surely I'm not the only one who noticed that in Michaels overview of his time with Leica's optical designer - he mentioned one lens by name as worthy of respect and up to the task - the digital Mamiya 80mm.

I concur - it is amazing. my only grump is its so good that I am getting more moire than I used to, as it resolves the finest distant pattern or micro weave on clothing, that my previous standard lenses blurred!

The 80 is fine. Michael is not god.

michael

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 01:56:30 pm »

Quote from: BobDavid
The 80 is fine. Michael is not god.

Be careful what you say, lest ye be struck down by my wrath!  

Michael

BobDavid

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 03:54:09 pm »

Quote from: michael
Be careful what you say, lest ye be struck down by my wrath!  

Michael

Fair enough!
Pages: [1]   Go Up