Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Aptus 5 coming  (Read 64263 times)

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2009, 05:09:08 pm »

Quote from: BJL
Let me try again, dropping the Afi vs Aptus model naming distinctions,, and just considering which MF bodies Leaf makes backs for.

Leaf sells backs for a variety of long discontinued MF system from Contax, Bronica and Fujifilm
but
Leaf does not currently sells any backs for the Afi/Hy6 bodies (unless I am missing something).

This contrast is what I find strange.
Is this, as someone suggests above, because the installed base of Afi/Hy6 bodies is far smaller than for systems like the Contax 645, and so is not considered worth serving?

Like I said many people bought the camera as a system which means they already have Leaf AFi backs on those bodies. Quite different to the many Contax bodies that are used with film or with older/ smaller backs.

The Contax was sold for several years, the AFi was sold for several months...
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

BJL

Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2009, 10:56:26 pm »

Quote from: yaya
Like I said many people bought the camera as a system which means they already have Leaf AFi backs on those bodies. Quite different to the many Contax bodies that are used with film or with older/ smaller backs.
Fair enough: so maybe future "new and improved" Leaf backs will come in Afi/Hy6 versions, when a back upgrade makes sense.

BJNY

Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2009, 07:32:53 am »

Just received the email this morning.
Aptus II 5 is $8K
AFDIII body & 80mm are $2K extra

so, give me 48x48 at $11K please
Guillermo

yaya

Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2009, 01:18:44 pm »

Quote from: BJNY
Aptus II 5 is $8K

http://www.leaf-photography.com/updates1009-en.html

You know Billy it won't be just cramming in a larger sensor as it will require changing the interface, electronics etc. so EVEN IF a square sensor was only 3K more expensive, a new square back would still be ALLOT more expensive...

erick.boileau

• http://
Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2009, 02:39:14 pm »

Quote from: BJNY
Aptus II 5 is $8K

56x56

archivue

Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2009, 04:08:18 pm »

Quote from: T-1000
Shoot, I'd buy a Leaf back in a second.  They have fantastic files.  I prefer them over Phase, but that P65 is sure something.

The price of this new Aptus-II 5 needs to be pretty damn agressive to have any advantage over a 5D2, because at ISO 50, the Canon files (or Nikon D3x files) are pure sex.  From test files I have of the Aptus 22 vs. 5D2, the 5D2 is superior... and it does a crapload of other things with video, high ISO, etc.  But I admit, my favorite files are still from the 33MP 36x48 backs from Leaf.  I hope the company stays alive and well.

i have bought both... i prefer the aptus 22 so much that a friend of my is using my 5 D II now...
it must depends on your shooting style and you lenses and camera !

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2009, 06:13:50 pm »

Oh dear, it's true! It's only $8k.
I guess it will make an outrageous xmas present! (for humble me of course)
Does it have any of the Plus technology of P1 for long exposures? Max exp?
Thanks
Eduardo

Quote from: yaya
http://www.leaf-photography.com/updates1009-en.html

You know Billy it won't be just cramming in a larger sensor as it will require changing the interface, electronics etc. so EVEN IF a square sensor was only 3K more expensive, a new square back would still be ALLOT more expensive...

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2009, 08:11:45 pm »

Quote from: John-S
It's a Leaf back and as such, has no Phase technology whatsoever. The only Phase One connection will be Capture One support of the Leaf files in a month or less.

I think this is the smartest product/price point offering from any of the MFDB companies. It should have been done a year or more ago. It's a very capable back, lovely files and more than enough megapixels for most work.

I always cringe when someone describes something as "lovely".   Kinda like kissing your sister.

Eurotographer

Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2009, 10:10:00 pm »

Quote from: John-S
Cringe, what I do when I view some people's work.

Where's the link to your work??

brentward

Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2009, 11:13:39 pm »

Quote from: Eurotographer
Where's the link to your work??

Where's yours?

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2009, 12:07:47 am »

Not a bad price $8000.00. This will kill the ZD & drive down the price of used Aptus 22 & 54s backs. The Phase body is that the AFDIII? If so how much is the DF body that is just released with this package?
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2009, 05:39:44 am »

Hmmm... I was first told by the local dealer here that Aptus II 5 back only would be US$8K, and back plus PhaseOne 645 camera body and lens would be US$10K. Then the next day, she sent a correction saying that it would be US$10K for back only.  I guess we'll wait till the dust settles.

Justin Berman

• http://www.justinberman.com
Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2009, 08:05:47 am »

Even if the back plus camera, plus lens is 8k, why should I take that over a Nikon d3x or much more importantly, a sony a850, or canon 5d2. I have devoured the information on these boards for a while, but I can find a compelling reason aside from these things:

Sync Speed (you get a camera capable of leaf shutter lenses)
Lower Min Iso
Bigger Viewfinder
No AA Filter

Subjective Other Benefits:
You look more professional with a bigger camera
"better" lenses (though given the availability of zeiss glass on all of those platforms i would disagree)
"better" color

Is it really worth paying 8k or 10k for a digi back plus phase cam and 80mm lens for those benefits? I really don't think so. I have been waiting and watching eagerly to see what the market will produce before I take my next serious step up in digital, having been shooting with the d2x and the d300 since they came out. I don't even have that much lens investiture because I only buy what I use a LOT, so it certainly wouldn't bother me to move to a different system.

My point is that I just cannot see the cost benefit analysis working right for this. I think you may pull in a bunch of dentists who had not considered MF Digital because of the costs, but I don't think I know working pros who would drop 8 or 10 or 11 grand on a back that only provides those benefits.

Perhaps I am crazy.

Lawrie_Hope

• Peartreephoto
Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2009, 10:41:04 am »

We have more information and prices on our website:

Leaf Aptus II 5

The back is going to be supplied with both Leaf Capture and Capture One DB plus please bear in mind that the Aptus is an open platform and can be attached to an extensive range of View Cameras.
Lawrie Hope
London, UK
Peartree

http://www.peartreephotoshop.co.uk

TMARK

Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2009, 10:47:50 am »

The only reason to shoot MFD, in my very humble opinion, is for the look of the larger chip and the availability of MF lenses.  Resolution doesn't really matter unless you are selling giant prints (or want to be secure in the knowledge that your sunset picture can be printed at 40x60).  Is this worth 8 large?  The price of a D3x or M9?  Maybe.

I am certainly not an MFDB fanboy, but this back produces the best file of any back, maybe the Leaf 75 is a little better.  I think its a better file than the D3x, not by much, but there is a difference.  What an MF back gives you over the Nikon is access to different lenses with a bigger chip, that gives you a different rendering.  That's it.  Is it worth the hassle of shooting a back?  The limited iso, the strange screens, the need to tether, all that light you need?  Maybe, maybe not.  Its a tool in the tool box, and at $8k, certainly not that expensive.  Not cheap, either, but not bad.  

I have a 54s that I use only occassionaly on an RZ and a Sinar P.  I mainly shoot motion now, but when I shoot stills, sometimes the Aptus comes out, sometimes I rent a D3x/1ds3, sometimes I shoot my M8, and sometimes I shoot film.  It just depends on the project.  So its not an either/or choice, in my opinion.  If your work demands the look of MF, the rendering of the lenses, on a regular basis, buy one.  If it doesn't, don't.  Just rent if you need it.  If you've been getting by with 1.5 crop sensors, I doubt your work requires the rendering from a big chip.  A D3x will probably get much more use.

Quote from: Justin Berman
Even if the back plus camera, plus lens is 8k, why should I take that over a Nikon d3x or much more importantly, a sony a850, or canon 5d2. I have devoured the information on these boards for a while, but I can find a compelling reason aside from these things:

Lower Min Iso
Bigger Viewfinder
No AA Filter

"better" lenses (though given the availability of zeiss glass on all of those platforms i would disagree)
"better" color

Is it really worth paying 8k or 10k for a digi back plus phase cam and 80mm lens for those benefits? I really don't think so. I have been waiting and watching eagerly to see what the market will produce before I take my next serious step up in digital, having been shooting with the d2x and the d300 since they came out. I don't even have that much lens investiture because I only buy what I use a LOT, so it certainly wouldn't bother me to move to a different system.

My point is that I just cannot see the cost benefit analysis working right for this. I think you may pull in a bunch of dentists who had not considered MF Digital because of the costs, but I don't think I know working pros who would drop 8 or 10 or 11 grand on a back that only provides those benefits.

Perhaps I am crazy.

billthecat

Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2009, 10:50:55 am »

Will the new Aptus II 5 work with the new DF body and leaf lenses?

Bill

ztefff

Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2009, 11:33:11 am »

Quote from: Justin Berman

Lower Min Iso
Bigger Viewfinder
No AA Filter

"better" color

Perhaps I am crazy.

For me its about the size of the sensor.  It surprises me that the issue of the "look" (regardless of MP) of MF pictures only occationally is discussed in these forums.  For me, the "feel" of pictures taken by a larger sensor is the main point of shooting MF.  Its like they just "sit" better / seem more real.  The market is saturated with people shooting dslr and shooting MF gives you a different and more professional look in your pictures.  I started out shooting MF and I could never go back to 35.  To me the new Aptus-II 5 is the (almost) perfect back (I shoot mostly fashion), except that I would like it to shoot 2 f/s and dont see why this is not possible as the Aptus II 10 shoots at 1.1 s/f and the file is more than 2 times larger.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2009, 12:25:50 pm »

This is exactly my main concern with this sensor: If you shoot mostly fashion will you please be kind to tell us more about your encounters with moire and how you cope? And yes, it is the look I'm interested. Most of the times I can see it on the net pics. Sometimes I can't tell a difference though.
Thanks
Eduardo

Quote from: ztefff
For me its about the size of the sensor.  It surprises me that the issue of the "look" (regardless of MP) of MF pictures only occationally is discussed in these forums.  For me, the "feel" of pictures taken by a larger sensor is the main point of shooting MF.  Its like they just "sit" better / seem more real.  The market is saturated with people shooting dslr and shooting MF gives you a different and more professional look in your pictures.  I started out shooting MF and I could never go back to 35.  To me the new Aptus-II 5 is the (almost) perfect back (I shoot mostly fashion), except that I would like it to shoot 2 f/s and dont see why this is not possible as the Aptus II 10 shoots at 1.1 s/f and the file is more than 2 times larger.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:28:28 pm by uaiomex »

yaya

Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2009, 12:31:44 pm »

Quote from: billthecat
Will the new Aptus II 5 work with the new DF body and leaf lenses?

Bill
Yes of course it will

aaron

• http://
Leaf Aptus 5 coming
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2009, 12:41:29 pm »

Quote from: ztefff

If you want this mysterious and hard to nail down 'look' i think your looking in the wrong place with these puny mfd sensors, medium format use to be 6x7 or 6x8, possibly 6x6 if you were on a budget, but 'back in the day' if you mentioned 6 x 4.5 you would hear the sniggers from the back of the room. If you want the 'look' then you better get a large format, preferably a 10-8 and a few sheets of film.
I could be wrong, but if you can actually show me the difference in the 'look' between these mfd's and a 35mm digital with an example, then i will eat my screen!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up