Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dell vs Nec  (Read 3969 times)

mbrphoto

Dell vs Nec
« on: October 12, 2009, 07:43:40 am »

I've read a lot of good things about the nec, but is it worth 300 more than a Dell?
Also, Is it worth upgrading to the nec calibration packahge or will my old eye 1 do just fine!
Thanks!!

Plekto

Dell vs Nec
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 06:53:47 pm »

The Dell models appear to be identical to the Viewsonic line internally(few different stetting tweaks and case, not much else different).

Calibration on a typical LCD monitor isn't quite as critical, IMO, as on an aging CRT(black levels aside - you're just going to have to live with dark gray as black on anything other than an OLED display).  But it is a nice feature to have.(IMO, calibrating the printer is the bigger headache)

Worth $300 more?  Hard to say.  A lot depends on your budget.  If you are using it for a business expense or a pro lab/setup/etc, then sure - its nice to have.  If you're like me and are on a tight budget, $300 is another decent used lens or two... ;)

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Dell vs Nec
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 05:17:52 am »

Quote from: Plekto
Worth $300 more?  Hard to say.

It's not that hard. If you're just curious of how your photo is going to look on a print, then yes - it's worth it.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

mbrphoto

Dell vs Nec
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 09:37:36 pm »

thanks for the feedback

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Dell vs Nec
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 10:59:04 pm »

The two images on the screen are different but what does each represent?  Expalin what I am looking at please.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Dell vs Nec
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 08:09:39 am »

Quote from: mdijb
The two images on the screen are different but what does each represent?  Expalin what I am looking at please.

MDIJB

The one on the left is the image, that is displayed on that panel - the second one on the right is a print from my Epson 7880, putted into the monitor's bezel.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 08:13:26 am by Czornyj »

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Dell vs Nec
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 07:04:20 pm »

The Printed image is clearly different from the screen image--no surprise here.

Did you use a canned paper profile or one specifically for your printer/paper combination i.e a custom profile?

Even with a well calibrated monitor and a good paper profile, in my experience the  printed images are close to the screen but usually need some addition adjustments.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Dell vs Nec
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 05:25:03 am »

Quote from: mdijb
The Printed image is clearly different from the screen image--no surprise here.

Did you use a canned paper profile or one specifically for your printer/paper combination i.e a custom profile?

Even with a well calibrated monitor and a good paper profile, in my experience the  printed images are close to the screen but usually need some addition adjustments.

MDIJB

I made a custom profile for that printer/paper (i1pro, Atkinson 1728p target), but the situation here is a little bit more complicated.

First of all, the exposure wasn't perfect - I just used bounced flash light, the paper was little bit curled, so the top of the page is overexposured, while the bottom is underexposured.
Another problem was that colors on both images were rendered by different illuminants:

The metamerism of digital camera is different that the metamerism of human eye, so even after adjusting the white point for each image apart the colors are a little bit different. To get the perfect match I would have to use the tubes from the monitor to illuminate the print, measure their spectra, and use the measurement to create printer profile. Another option was to create two different camera DNG profiles, and render each image with the adequate profile.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 06:37:03 am by Czornyj »

Alejandro

Dell vs Nec
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 04:39:55 pm »

I'm also very interested on these monitors, especially de Dell U2410, which has a good review from centraltft, quite near to  the nec2495wuxi quality.

What kind of colorimeter is good for this Dell U2410 and what about yor opinions concerning about quality? Would you recomend it?

Thanks in advance,

regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up