Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D MKII PAL/NTSC setting does nothing?  (Read 9753 times)

PeterS

Canon 5D MKII PAL/NTSC setting does nothing?
« on: October 11, 2009, 12:15:46 pm »

Hi there, I am an agrevated Canon 5D MKII owner that lives in a country where the video system used is PAL (New Zealand). My fundamental question is concerning a setting called 'VIDEO SYSTEM' in the menu. It has obviously 2 alternatives; NTSC or PAL. I propose that Canon are pulling the wool over our eyes in the offer of this adjustment because it does absolutely nothing!

My Question:
Did they intend originally to sell the camera with the ability to capture video at 29.97fps AND 25fps, but then decided it was not important? Then in keeping with this slackness, forgot to remove the setting from the menu?
OR
Did they include the setting just to throw agrevated owners that are suffering from 'Transcoding Blues' off the trail to the already in-accessible people at Canon?

I think both personally. They got impatient and greedy (oh they were already greedy) and put the camera out before it was truely complete, and then left the setting in place on purpose. What do you all think? Or am I wrong and the setting does do something, if so what?

PeterS
www.pictures-of-paradise.com

PeterS

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 02:35:27 pm »

Quote from: John-S
The camera is 30fps (29.97), nothing else.

If you want a ton more information on the topic, visit http://www.cinema5d.com which has plenty of forum topics on the matter.

If I had wanted to know the fps of the camera... I would not have posted this in the first place, I own the camera! If you are bored with all the 5D MKII talk then don't read it, but I was interested in some discussion not information. This is a forum...

PeterS
http://pictures-of-paradise.com

PeterS

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 03:33:33 pm »

Quote from: John-S
What is there to talk about then, it's 30fps, it's 30, it's 30. I own the camera also and shoot stills and for the last few months have been shooting motion.

This forum has 1/10,000th the info on the 5DII as does cinema5d.com. I'm not bored, just trying to give you a place to find a assload more info on the topic. You won't get much in here at LL.

The setting you speak of most likely deals with connecting the camera to play through the HDMI port on flat screen HDTVs or field monitors. Since you live in a PAL location, then the televisions would require a PAL setting perhaps for the HDMI output? The 30fps has nothing to do with that setting.

It's been known from day one, Canon added very basic full HD to the 5DII without knowing that it would become a game changer to filmmakers, indie people, still shooters and the like.

Be patient, if Nikon intros a multi video framerate full frame DLSR before PhotoPlus, then Canon may very well have a new firmware for the 5DII up its sleeve.

It would seem you are right, it does do something after all!
And I guess you pointing me at cinema5d.com was a lot better than telling me to read the manual hehe!
It is amazing to think that Canon could put video into the 5d and not realize what an incredibly beautiful thing they were creating, and kudos to them for the full manual firmware, but it is hard to be patient! The package is so near to complete! There is nothing wrong with making something that does everything you would expect it to do before the competition threatens to do it, it builds loyalty and a strong future  

I'm glad you're not bored by the way  
Thnx for the replies.

PeterS
http://pictures-of-paradise.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up