Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU  (Read 12649 times)

michael

Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 06:55:27 am »

I really fail to understand what's the problem with the live view button. One button, you press it, the mirror goes up, with the bonus that you can still see what's going on on the LCD screen. I beg for an explanation: anything wrong with this?

It's simple. Live View turns on the LCD. One often uses MLU when shooting in low light conditions. Having the rear LCD light up, when you don't want it to has two problems associated with it.

1: It can ruin your dark adapted vision.

2: It can reveal your presence to others.

If I wanted to turn on a bright light when shooting, I would. I don't.

The solution is simple. No need for another button. Just make the mirror go up when the variable self timer is activated. This is what most companies do, and it works very well. Canon has custom functions for choosing between non-fat and regular milk when brewing a Latte, so why not this?

Michael

Luciano

Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 12:36:30 pm »

Quote from: PaulS
A dedicated MLU fits the way that I work, which may not fit the way that you work.  It's as simple as that.

Paul

- reply removed -
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:37:45 pm by Luciano »

Luciano

Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 12:56:46 pm »

Quote from: michael
I really fail to understand what's the problem with the live view button. One button, you press it, the mirror goes up, with the bonus that you can still see what's going on on the LCD screen. I beg for an explanation: anything wrong with this?

It's simple. Live View turns on the LCD. One often uses MLU when shooting in low light conditions. Having the rear LCD light up, when you don't want it to has two problems associated with it.

1: It can ruin your dark adapted vision.

If the scene is dark, the lcd can't be so bright, and anyway with the mirror up you're looking at the scene, not at the screen neither the viewfinder.... that's what your eyes are adapting to.

2: It can reveal your presence to others.

Oh come on, Canon should add a MLU button for photographers who are in COMPLETE darkness and, with their big camera and tripod, and some minimum necessary room around them, stay 100% unnoticed? How do you think people can't see you with lcd off :-?

If I wanted to turn on a bright light when shooting, I would. I don't.

A "bright" light? in low light? I mean, one thing is the light you're photographing, if that's dim, the lcd screen will be dim. if the scene is bright and you are in dim light, you'll see bright light anyway in the scene... what difference would make a bright lcd?

The solution is simple. No need for another button. Just make the mirror go up when the variable self timer is activated. This is what most companies do, and it works very well. Canon has custom functions for choosing between non-fat and regular milk when brewing a Latte, so why not this?

Michael

Now, I'm not sure but you may have a point here, timed MLU might be missing in canon cameras. I'll take a look.

Luc

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 05:26:26 pm »

I agree that Canon should provide a way to use a button for this function, and am not clear why they are so anal about it.  I know the majority of those buying the cameras never utilize mirror lockup, but there are plenty that do and I'm sure engineering the ability to customize a button wouldn't be a daunting task at all.

That being said however, I found in my recent trip (which is the first time I've used the Canon gear exclusively and left the MF gear behind) I never once had to go into the custom settings to get mirror lockup.  The new custom 1-3 settings on the 5Dmk2 are amazingly useful.  I have C3 so when I select it my camera goes to AV mode, spot meter mode, f/8, mirror lockup, self timer of 10 seconds, +2/3 stop exp. compensation.  C2 is the same thing except it also has auto bracketing enabled. I also had C1 setup with a standard mode but with 1/3 stop Exp Compensation.  

I also found that I was using live view 10x focusing on every image when I was on a tripod.  Once the image is focused, no need to lock up the mirror, just start the timer. So for me it worked great.

So while I agree Canon should address this for those who have different needs or different workflows, or just different preferences, the current system is so much better than it was a few years ago I'm pretty content with it.

luong

• http://www.terragalleria.com
Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 09:31:18 pm »

Quote from: michael

Two other problems are increased battery usage, and possibly more image noise from the sensor heating up.

No need for another button. Just make the mirror go up when the variable self timer is activated. This is what most companies do, and it works very well.

Exactly. And that's what Canon used to do with film bodies such as the EOS 5.
QT Luong - author of http://TreasuredLandsBook.com, winner of 6 national book awards

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 09:58:11 pm »

Quote from: luong
Exactly. And that's what Canon used to do with film bodies such as the EOS 5.

Though there are those of us who do not like using the self-timer in lieu of a cable release. I only use the self-timer if I have foolishly left my cable release in another bag.

I'm with Michael on this, all the way. It's absolutely stupid not to respect the user enough to provide this option. The default for the print button can remain as is, but should be user programmable. Period. Canon (IMO) does not make one more printer sale, generate more ink sales, or paper sales, by disrespectfully ignoring user requests of something so easy for them to do and so useful to the user.

IMHO, of course.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up