Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU  (Read 12650 times)

Luciano

Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« on: October 11, 2009, 10:45:38 am »

Hi, I'm new on this forum but not new on the website itself. I enjoy reading the "on field" report of all the cameras, but I'm still surprised on this continuous complain about the supposed Canon's lack of a MLU button - which is present in other brand's reviews as well (see the latest Pentax K7). "Canon should learn"... nothing imho. The MLU button on latest Canon cameras is called (wrong, now corrected - that's only for the quick control access and it's not customizable) or Live View, or custom modes C1/C2/C3. There's really no reason at all to complain, because you can have EXACTLY the same functionality. With one button press (which is not the "print button", it's called "live view" button in record mode...) you have LV. You dont want the annoying, dreadful screen on while shooting? You dont want to change mode? (corrected: Well, you're just too picky )
Just my 2 cents
Luc
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:31:27 pm by Luciano »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 02:32:55 pm »

Quote from: Luciano
Hi, I'm new on this forum but not new on the website itself. I enjoy reading the "on field" report of all the cameras, but I'm still surprised on this continuous complain about the supposed Canon's lack of a MLU button - which is present in other brand's reviews as well (see the latest Pentax K7). "Canon should learn"... nothing imho. The MLU button on latest Canon cameras is called S (custom button) or Live View, or custom modes C1/C2/C3. There's really no reason at all to complain, because you can have EXACTLY the same functionality. With one button press (which is not the "print button", it's called "live view" button in record mode...) you have LV. You dont want the annoying, dreadful screen on while shooting? You dont want to change mode? Use the S button.... exactly the same. But more versatile
Just my 2 cents
Luc
No way can I get MLU in one button press on my 5D. Yes, I can go through menus and turn MLU on, but I can't do it instantly for a single image, with the camera reverting to "normal" right afterward.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Luciano

Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 11:31:42 am »

Quote from: EricM
No way can I get MLU in one button press on my 5D. Yes, I can go through menus and turn MLU on, but I can't do it instantly for a single image, with the camera reverting to "normal" right afterward.
Well, I hope the LL reviewer is not complaining about 4 years old Canon cameras, is he?  
Luc

Eric Myrvaagnes

Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 05:59:36 pm »

Well, I hope the LL reviewer is not complaining about 4 years old Canon cameras, is he?  
Luc

He's been complaining a lot longer than that. And, while we're at it, does the 5D Mk II still have a "direct print" button, which I'm sure nobody has ever used on a DSLR?

Eric

michael

Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 06:15:49 pm »

Repeat after me class. Live View is not an adequete replacement for MLU.

If you believe that it is, you likely haven't used it in the real world.

Michael
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 06:16:49 pm by michael »

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 06:51:33 pm »

Repeat after me class. Live View is not an adequete replacement for MLU.

Very true, but if anyone who routinely requires MLU while shooting with Canon
needs to take more than a couple of seconds to effect this operation via the menu
them they have larger problems than MLU   :>))

Mark

michael

Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 07:00:10 pm »

There are work-arounds.

There are alternatives.

Then, there's the real thing – which Canon refuses to give us, for no apparent reason other than stubbornness.

Michael

Paul Sumi

Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 07:31:51 pm »

Quote from: mtomalty
Very true, but if anyone who routinely requires MLU while shooting with Canon
needs to take more than a couple of seconds to effect this operation via the menu
them they have larger problems than MLU   :>))

Mark,

Five years ago I would have agreed with you.

However, for those of us who are *ahem* "of a certain age" and require reading glasses, the menu-fiddling required to effect MLU is truly a PITA.  Why can't I hit a single button/switch by touch like I can with my 33 year old Minolta SRT-101?  It's not rocket science; "we have the technology" to quote a rather bad American TV show.

If I can't have a dedicated MLU button, Canon should at least make either the * button or the direct print button programmable with MLU and other functions.  If I could get one-button MLU + 2 sec timer delay, I'd be a very happy man.

Paul

Brad Proctor

Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 10:43:48 pm »

I would love an MLU button on my camera.  I think it would be even better if the buttons were programmable to whatever function you would like them to be.  As a programmer myself, I can't imagine this would be too difficult of a feature to add.
Brad Proctor

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 12:08:02 am »

Quote from: bproctor
I would love an MLU button on my camera.  I think it would be even better if the buttons were programmable to whatever function you would like them to be.  As a programmer myself, I can't imagine this would be too difficult of a feature to add.

If Leica ever gets around to releasing the S2, you'll see they have gone with this approach.
From a quick hands-on a week or so ago, I believe the rep demonstrated the ability for the user to
assign each of the 4 main buttons to a function that is buried in the menu such as mirror lockup
or exposure compensation.

Mark

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 01:03:36 am »

Quote from: mtomalty
If Leica ever gets around to releasing the S2, you'll see they have gone with this approach.
From a quick hands-on a week or so ago, I believe the rep demonstrated the ability for the user to
assign each of the 4 main buttons to a function that is buried in the menu such as mirror lockup
or exposure compensation.

Mark

Well Liveview is not a MLU, it is a lot better :-P
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 04:55:06 pm »

I wonder how many Canon Owners have actually used the Direct Print Button, I haven't....  

There is no technical reason why this button cannot be re-mapped

Luciano

Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 04:57:29 pm »

Quote from: EricM
He's been complaining a lot longer than that. And, while we're at it, does the 5D Mk II still have a "direct print" button, which I'm sure nobody has ever used on a DSLR?

Eric
Maybe someone has used it as "Live view" button...
This "direct print" complaining is always funny to me  
And anyway, I meant complaining now about 4 years old cameras. He still complains about the 7D... come on.
Luc
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:38:41 pm by Luciano »

Luciano

Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 04:58:26 pm »

Quote from: michael
There are work-arounds.

There are alternatives.

Then, there's the real thing – which Canon refuses to give us, for no apparent reason other than stubbornness.

Michael

The apparent reason to me is that live view button (I repeat it: LIVE VIEW BUTTON - no "print button" for heaven's sake, that's in play mode only!  is enough satisfying that they don't need to add another button for MLU. A customizable button would be great (it's not there actually, despite what I erroneously wrote in my OP and now corrected) but I mean, does anyone really believe that Canon should listen to who complains about the "lcd screen on" when the mirror is up? Come on guys... That's the "real thing" imho.
Luc
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:27:29 pm by Luciano »

Luciano

Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 05:00:12 pm »

Quote from: bproctor

Agree, actually the Q button is for the quick menu but it's not customizable.
Luc
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:22:24 pm by Luciano »

Luciano

Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 05:35:28 pm »

Quote from: PaulS
Mark,

Five years ago I would have agreed with you.

However, for those of us who are *ahem* "of a certain age" and require reading glasses, the menu-fiddling required to effect MLU is truly a PITA.  Why can't I hit a single button/switch by touch like I can with my 33 year old Minolta SRT-101?  It's not rocket science; "we have the technology" to quote a rather bad American TV show.

Paul
I really fail to understand what's the problem with the live view button. One button, you press it, the mirror goes up, with the bonus that you can still see what's going on on the LCD screen. I beg for an explanation: anything wrong with this?
Thx
Luc

Paul Sumi

Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 06:00:42 pm »

I really fail to understand what's the problem with the live view button. One button, you press it, the mirror goes up, with the bonus that you can still see what's going on on the LCD screen. I beg for an explanation: anything wrong with this?
Thx
Luc

Nothing wrong with Live View as live view.  It's my personal preference to have a dedicated MLU, the same way that some photographers prefer to use graduated neutral density (corrected) filters instead of HDR, primes instead of zooms, film instead of digital, tripod instead of hand-held, or large format instead of 135 format.

A dedicated MLU fits the way that I work, which may not fit the way that you work.  It's as simple as that.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:49:10 am by PaulS »

Eric Myrvaagnes

Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 12:37:03 am »

Quote from: PaulS
Nothing wrong with Live View as live view.  It's my personal preference to have a dedicated MLU, the same way that some photographers prefer to use graduated neutral grad filters instead of HDR, primes instead of zooms, film instead of digital, tripod instead of hand-held, or large format instead of 135 format.

A dedicated MLU fits the way that I work, which may not fit the way that you work.  It's as simple as that.

Paul

Hear, hear! That's exactly the way I feel. I have no interest whatever in "Live View" (although I'm forced to use it on my G10 because the optical viewfinder is so dismal).

Eric

daws

Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 01:15:33 am »

Quote from: michael
There are work-arounds.

There are alternatives.

Michael
First time, didn't get it. Second time, compromise. Third time, stubbornness.

Fourth time, passive aggressiveness.

Not slamming Canon, but yes, corporations can cop a 'tude.

mahleu

• 500px
Canon, MLU, Canon, MLU
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 04:56:14 am »

does anyone really believe that Canon should listen to who complains about the "lcd screen on" when the mirror is up? Come on guys... That's the "real thing" imho.
Luc

Yes. Listen to the customers and they might not go looking elseware for what they want. I'm sure a tiny little bit of code would enable a custom function to have 'Live view" with the LCD off which would effectively be MLU