Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The print industry is dying, as image makers, we need alternatives in order to survive  (Read 4923 times)

Thomas Editions

• Best Giclée in LA
    • Thomas Editions  Fine Art Printing

I've updated my blog to spotlight the very real facts that magazines and newspapers are going out of business, and what is facing us as still photographers.  Please check it out, it will be helpful, http://reddigitalmotionandstill.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 09:00:31 am by digitaltechnyc »
Von Thomas
Printmeister, Thomas Editions Fine Art Prints

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
--
Robert

Pete Ferling

I've mentioned this before, more than once actually.  I work for international medical device company, and the trend in my corner of the world is to go paperless.
We now route proofs of brochures, sell sheets and posters by PDF.  We now request even smaller quantities from our vendor, or use local shops to fulfill on-demand rather than stockpile.

I print very few banners on my 9800, and now have switched what we call "digital posters", (You can't add a sound byte to a banner).  You can deliver a finished product by yousendit vs. fedex - guess which one is cheaper and quicker?

Some things haven't changed, yet.  I still setup and shoot as before, and post process as usual.  What we do with the file afterward is a different thing, and if it's not your thing today, it will be that way tomorrow or you'll be flipping burgers to supplement.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 07:58:15 am by Pete Ferling »

Thomas Editions

• Best Giclée in LA
    • Thomas Editions  Fine Art Printing

Kirk Tuck has a lot of good info, all still commercial shooters should see this.

Von
Von Thomas
Printmeister, Thomas Editions Fine Art Prints

Justinr

• Ink+images

Quote from: digitaltechnyc
I've updated my blog to spotlight the very real facts that magazines and newspapers are going out of business, and what is facing us as still photographers.  Please check it out, it will be helpful, http://reddigitalmotionandstill.blogspot.com/

Not so fast!

ABC Circulation figures.

So whilst the UK economy shrank by about 5% magazine circulation dropped by a whole errr... 1.9%.

I'd say that was a particularly healthy performance from the sector.

Justin.

Justinr

• Ink+images

duplicate posting
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 12:55:20 pm by Justinr »

Justinr

• Ink+images

duplicate posting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up