Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ethernet connection question for Z3100 on Mac OSX  (Read 1685 times)

sloow

• http://paullitherland.com
Ethernet connection question for Z3100 on Mac OSX
« on: October 08, 2009, 06:20:10 pm »

Hi,

I am having trouble getting my network settings in order for my z3100. It keeps partially losing the connection, meaning that the HP Printer Utility can still communicate with the printer, but the part of the driver that appears in Photoshop is not receiving information, so the paper information is not present. It will still print, but I would like to resolve this communication problem.

I have the printer plugged directly into one of the two ethernet ports at the back of my Mac Pro Tower, which is running OSX 10.5.6. It seems the IP address that the computer assigns and the IP address that the printer wants to use are different. When I was running the printer from a connection on a router, I didn't have this problem.

I don't understand enough about assigning valid IP addresses I think. Can I create manual addresses on both the printer and computer side of the connection?

Also, is it better to use Bonjour to connect, or HP IP printing?

thanks

Paul

tonywong

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 08:47:05 pm »

Do you have internet sharing turned on (ethernet to ethernet, assuming one of them is your primary web connection to your router)? It will provide DHCP routing services for the Printer if you have it enabled.

TJM

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 12:01:45 am »

I just resolved (what sounds like) the exact same problem.  There was a new firmware that came out in June.  I was connected with USB and unable to install this firmware.  In the end I switched to ethernet, connected using bonjour and installed the new firmware through there.  Then I needed to uninstall the printer ( because the printer was installed for USB, it didn't work until i did this. system preferences>print fax click the minus button when the printer was hi-lighted) Then click on the plus, and choose the printer that is connected with ethernet.  This finally got rid of "Custom Paper list cannot be retrieved" I don't know if that will be needed as you are already connected with ethernet.  

All that to say make sure that the newest firmware is installed.  That was my problem.

TJ

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 01:49:56 am »

You can set the comm port to a fixed IP address  which would be a LAN address so something like 10.0.0.9.   If left to DHCP it may be timing out or assigning a new number whenever another device is waking the router if there is one. For example with the latest 10.5.8 update, often when my kids are using their iTouch , it takes over my local host name> then the computer is given a new name.
A fixed IP is a more sure way. The IP will be displayed on the printer front panel or in the web settings in the utility.

Edhopkins

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 03:54:17 pm »

Quote from: TJM
All that to say make sure that the newest firmware is installed.  That was my problem.

TJ

what, exactly, version of the firmware are you running with?

thanks

ed

baltimore
Pages: [1]   Go Up