Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip suggestions: Iceland or Canada?  (Read 3918 times)

StefBar

• http://
Trip suggestions: Iceland or Canada?
« on: October 07, 2009, 06:51:17 pm »

Hi everyone,
I am an Italian photographer and I have a free week in the first half of November to be spent on a photographic trip somewhere around the world. Given my passion for wild landscapes and mysterious, fascinating colours and lights, I've chosen two possible destinations: Iceland (the area of Krafla and Viti mainly) and Canada (either the Gaspesie or the natural parks of the Island of Newfoudland).
I already know that one week is absolutely not enough for any of these places, however I've already visited both and my interest, this time, is to portray colours and lights different from the ones I met in previous summer trips.
I would need your help and suggestions regarding:
1) weather (though probably slightly unpredictable in November) and road conditions;
2) landscape colours (i.e. is there still red and yellow foliage in Canada at that time of the year?)
3) any other suggestions to plan my trip in a clever way (i.e. other locations I should consider or website/books or other material I should read).
Thank you very much for your help and suggestions: they're truly appreciated.
Ciao,
Stefano

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 07:30:43 pm »

Quote from: StefBar
Hi everyone,
I am an Italian photographer and I have a free week in the first half of November to be spent on a photographic trip somewhere around the world. Given my passion for wild landscapes and mysterious, fascinating colours and lights, I've chosen two possible destinations: Iceland (the area of Krafla and Viti mainly) and Canada (either the Gaspesie or the natural parks of the Island of Newfoudland).
I already know that one week is absolutely not enough for any of these places, however I've already visited both and my interest, this time, is to portray colours and lights different from the ones I met in previous summer trips.
I would need your help and suggestions regarding:
1) weather (though probably slightly unpredictable in November) and road conditions;
2) landscape colours (i.e. is there still red and yellow foliage in Canada at that time of the year?)
3) any other suggestions to plan my trip in a clever way (i.e. other locations I should consider or website/books or other material I should read).
Thank you very much for your help and suggestions: they're truly appreciated.
Ciao,
Stefano

I cant make a comparison of the two locations for you - since I have been to neither (I am going to Iceland for 2 weeks in July 2010 with Daniel Bergman though). - but November in Iceland is going to be pretty dark and cold - isnt that pretty much winter by then? I would have thought Canada would be the better option that time of year.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:14:38 pm »

I am Canadian and November is my least favorite month up here.  It`s generally cold, dreary, wet.  (yes that is an overly simplistic generalization).

Fall colours will be long over by early November (peak happens now in Eastern Canada and where I live in the outskirts of Toronto the peak is usually around this upcoming weekend though it seems it may come a bit later this year, and certainly by Nov. 1 most of the leaves are fallen).  Gaspesie and Newfoundland are further north than Toronto so fall colours would be expected to be well over by then.  And I have heard from someone who was travelling that way in mid September that the fall colours in Quebec (where Gaspe is) was absolutely awful (leaves just went brown - I assume they had a dry summer).  Ontario on the other hand has been excellent this year where I have been so far.

Weather will also be pretty variable - with good chances for wet and sloppy winter weather.  How much experience do you have in winter driving.  Roads will also be pretty winding particularly in Newfoundland So do not go expecting pretty fall colours like those that are being posted recently, but if you are looking for moody, foggy and threatening weather shots (e.g., likely better as black and white vs. colour) then you should not be disappointed

Here is a link to climate data for Port au Basques Newfoundland which I believe is near to Gros Morn Nat`l Park

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/...StnId=6693&

And here is a link to the climate data for Gaspe

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/...StnId=5794&

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Andrew
[size=12p

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 06:22:51 pm »

Andrew beat me to it.  Weather in eastern Canada in November can be quite variable, but yes, the colours will be long gone.  You'll also find that almost all 'tourist' operations, roadside picnic grounds, rest stops, etc. are closed for the season.  The last time I was in the GaspĂ© in November, it was getting dark by 3:00-3:30. Iceland is farther north, so by November sunrise to sunet will be about six hours or so.

The scenery will be starkly beautiful in both places, probably more wet than not, with some chance of snow.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jon Meddings

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 12:56:14 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Andrew beat me to it.  Weather in eastern Canada in November can be quite variable, but yes, the colours will be long gone.  You'll also find that almost all 'tourist' operations, roadside picnic grounds, rest stops, etc. are closed for the season.  The last time I was in the GaspĂ© in November, it was getting dark by 3:00-3:30. Iceland is farther north, so by November sunrise to sunet will be about six hours or so.

The scenery will be starkly beautiful in both places, probably more wet than not, with some chance of snow.

Mike.

Let me also add my two cents worth as a Canadian (from the mountains in the West) and as someone who has visited Iceland (in September) and hopes to return. November in Canada is when I begin to yearn to travel south for photography! Up here there will be some very special pictures available but they tend to be black and white types with lots of snow. Mountains and a blue sky can help but the chance of the latter can be unpredictable. Now this is the time for northern lights either in Iceland or in northern Canada - unfortunately you would be taking your chances as it is a low year in the solar cycle.

So I wouldn't come here for color in November - I would consider some snow scenes and potentially northern lights though.

bwphoto

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 11:30:53 pm »

Stefano, I have lived my whole life in Newfoundland but for the past 6 years have been in Nova Scotia.  Newfoundland is an amazing place for photographs no matter what time of the year, although mid November will be tough for any colorful Fall shots.  A week is not really enough time to see the diverse differences from the east coast to the west coast as a drive from St. John's on the east coast to Gros Morne on the west coast will take 10-14 hours.   I would forget the fall colour shots and go with the natural scenery around the coasts where you will find rocky terrain with spruce and fir trees that do not change colour.  St. John's and the north east coast will get you a lot of scenic fishing village shots with rocky terrain and ocean.  The west coast arounf Gros Morne National Park will give you mountainous terrain with large fjords which can be spectacular regardless of time of year because you are dealing with mostly rock and few leafy trees.  The mountains on the west coast will probably give you snowfall as well but St. John's will probably not have snow.  Driving on the west coast can be difficult as the weather turns and no matter where you are there is always the threat of lage moose on the highways.  As an example I drove from Deer Lake to St. Anthony one day and saw 65 moose and 10 caribou, many more probably saw me but I never saw them.  It is a unique place, the people are the most friendly you will find anywhere and there will always be great photo ops.  Here are a couple of links to Newfoundland photographers who have been around for a long time, you can get a good idea of what to expect from their work.

http://www.lanegallery.com/
http://www.rostotski.nf.ca/

If you go you will have a great time.......... Good luck!

Brian

StefBar

• http://
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 03:57:08 pm »

I'm sorry it took me so long to answer your messages. I spent a week at Shetland Islands, working on a photographic project with a local school: it's been a wonderful experience to discover how kids see and describe the place where they were born and raised... definitely different from what I expected!

Back to the topic, I wish to thank you all for your advices. I admit I had a wrong idea about weather in eastern Canada in November, so I'm glad Andrew linked those climate charts. I've always been fascinated by "moody, foggy and threatening weather" shots, but I think driving alone around Newfoudland with possibly some snow and severe winds is not the best idea: I'll have to plan my trip more carefully and find some friends who want to explore these places with me next year.

Brian, your description was really impressive. I've been to Canada (Ontario and Quebec) four times so far and I fell in love with it because it is a place where you can't just sit and look around: you need to explore it, to hike through wild parks or along windy coasts, to spend some time talking to people and listening to the stories they tell. In my view, this is true also from a "photographic" perspective... for example, some of the best pictures I took in Quebec were from a hard, tiring and wet 4 day hike in the Parc de la Mauricie. To keep it short, Canada and Canadians conquered me.

In the end I decided to change my plans and I'll head towards the Isle of Skye and Loch Torridon during that week in November. Instead, I'll plan a two week trip to Canada next spring, when the weather should be a bit warmer and the scenery gorgeous. If any of you has some suggestions about places I shouldn't miss in spring (although I'll probably visit Newfoudland, since it really attracts me) or wants to join me, I'll be more than happy to hear from you.

Again, thanks to everyone who replied and a big thank you to Brian and Andrew for making me feel and remember that "Canadian atmosphere" that fascinates me so much.

Stefano

Vautour

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 07:57:05 am »

Quote from: StefBar
In the end I decided to change my plans and I'll head towards the Isle of Skye and Loch Torridon during that week in November. Instead, I'll plan a two week trip to Canada next spring, when the weather should be a bit warmer and the scenery gorgeous. If any of you has some suggestions about places I shouldn't miss in spring (although I'll probably visit Newfoudland, since it really attracts me) or wants to join me, I'll be more than happy to hear from you.

Again, thanks to everyone who replied and a big thank you to Brian and Andrew for making me feel and remember that "Canadian atmosphere" that fascinates me so much.

Stefano

Hello,

some words on Scotland. I've been there the last two weeks. Farther up north (Loch Torridon and Beinn Eighe National Park (which has more rainfall than the tropics but even with rain can provide for some quite dramatic photography) the hills are rather brown since the ferns have all gone brown. But with only some rays of sunlight they shone golden. Quite a sight. If you get more south there's going to be more green and left.
What I missed most in my equipment was some kind of filter to get the bright white sky (most hilltops were covered in bright white clouds) somewhat darker against the dark hills (I just can't remember the english word for this kind of filter (graduated grey filters or something similar (ah, found it: Understanding Grads)). Or use some kind of hdr technique to get the most out of it. My K10D just couldn't hold that much dynamic range and I didn't have time to always use a tripod and do some bracketing (my wife would have been rather displeased ).
Skye has still been quite green on the hills, at least in the Quiraing region where some nice photographs can be taken. Also the Cuillins are a fantastic opportunity but be prepared for some heavy hiking which isn't for the unexperienced. And one thing's for sure: the translation of Skye as the "misty isle" doesn't come without a reason
Sunset (before the switch to winter time) was at about 18:30, after that it's mostly pitch black outside. Oh, and if you think on spending the nights in youth hostels be aware that some of the SYHA hostels are now closed (e. g. Glenbrittle and Uig on Skye, Broadford's still open). I don't know about the independent hostels. For both you can get flyers. Or use their websites (SYHA and independant hostels.

Have a nice trip!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 08:20:59 am by Vautour »
Pages: [1]   Go Up