Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4gb Hitachi and PicturePad  (Read 7245 times)

4gb Hitachi and PicturePad
« on: November 07, 2003, 11:01:32 am »

Pete,

I'm afraid that I don't have answers to these questions. I sold my PicturePad to a friend (at least I think he's still a friend  :: ) and can't test any of these issues.

I suggest that you call Delkin.

Michael

Edward

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 09:25:26 am »

If you going back to the car to do transfers, using a cheap laptop is a much better solution.  It allows you to instantly check and make sure that the images you transfered are really transfered and are OK.  The other devices are only worth fooling with if you are going to pack them in with you and leave the car behind.

Edward

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 01:13:29 pm »

Good point.  You can probably borrow a trick from flash photographers and get a bigger battery, plugged into the existing unit through an adapter or just wired directly in if you are handy with tools.  That would be a good all purpose solution since you will probably want to down load more than once.

Scott_H

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 12:29:27 am »

I use two 256 MB cards and a Nixvue Vista.  I find the smaller cards work pretty well; I can download one while I am shooting with the other card.

Using a 4 GB card with a portable hard drive doesn't seem like good logistics to me.
[url=http://scottsblog.my-expressions.co

drew

• http://www.andrewrichards.net
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 09:47:03 am »

Michael,
I have just been revisiting your and Michael Tapes reviews of the Delkin Picture Pad from last year. The general tone is very positive, but you clearly do not feel the same way now. How about a frank update?
Andrew Richards [url=http://www.andrewri

ryankbrooks

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2003, 10:54:15 pm »

I'm using an ImageTank G2, which is a nice alternative.  I have no need for another tiny LCD for preview.   As others point out- this is best used as a backup.

I use this with 1 and 4GB microdrives without problems.  I don't erase the original images until I have also uploaded my shots to my powerbook- which works nicely with USB2.0.

-Ryan

chipmanp

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 09:34:41 am »

Hi, Michael.

I'm interested in getting the new 4gb card (price has won me over to microdrive).

However, I was wondering about being able to transfer a full 4gb card on one battery of a Delkin PicturePad.  Will it work, or will I have to transfer the card when it's about 3/4 full (about 3gb) so that the battery doesn't conk out on me.

Would another trick be to change batteries if it dies before the end of a full card transfer, or does the machine turning off during transfer negate what you transferred or become too time consuming to find where you left off.

Thanks,

Pete.

dbarthel

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2003, 08:59:55 am »

I'm paranoid. I always have my portable storage running off an inverter in the car when I transfer. Seems like everyone's battery capacity sucks, so why fight it, when a $30.00 inverter will solve the problem.

chipmanp

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2003, 12:42:22 pm »

Right, and that's exactly what I use the PicturePad for...packing into the middle of nowhere as light as possible...no cars available for a full transfer.  

So...

chipmanp

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2003, 02:05:00 pm »

Thanks, Edward.

chipmanp

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2003, 09:23:02 am »

Ok, here's the thing.

I can now transfer 3.5 gb worth of data (512mb, 5 times) before the battery goes out on my PicturePad.  What I'm wondering is that since you won't be powering the PicturePad on and off with the 4gb card (it's just a straight transfer), will you be able to have enough extra juice to squeeze out the additional 0.5 gb needed to transfer the full card.  

If there isn't enough juice, I'm willing to stop shooting when the card is about 3/4 full, and then transfer between 3 and 3.5gb, but if I forget and fill the card....  

I'll give Delkin a call and ask them about the situation.

framah

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2003, 05:01:22 pm »

I just came back from shooting the polar bears in Churchill, Canada and before I left, I had checked out different portable storage units and finally decided just to put an 80g hard drive into my G4 laptop and take that. Its battery life is almost 5 hours and by the time we stopped for lunch, I had just about filled a 2g CF card and was ready to empty it. I had brought a couple of smaller cards just in case but really didn't need them. It took me about 15 minutes to load the 2g card into my laptop using the slot on the side the computer.  So, my feeling is my laptop works great  for this and I can even look over the shots right there if I want. I also got an extra battey for the laptop just in case but never needed it.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2003, 03:22:51 pm »

My colleague Steve Kossack has a report that includes the Delkin, that I'll be publishing tomorrow.

Thumbs down.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up