Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: xmp files, History States and Exporting/Importing  (Read 3377 times)

pflower

xmp files, History States and Exporting/Importing
« on: October 07, 2009, 08:59:46 am »

There have been a number of posts recently about syncing/importing pictures into the main catalog from an external disk - say from a laptop.  I am still struggling with a workflow for this that will copy over any history states that exist on the laptop and which can be imported into the main catalog.

Saving out to xmp files on the laptop and then importing the folder with the pictures and xmp files into the main catalog results in an import with a history state that only has one entry in it - the import.  2 snapshots are created - the first being the original import into the laptop and then the import into the main catalog which includes all of the changes made on the laptop - exposure, colour settings etc.   But the main catalog does not have a record of the history states created on the laptop.  The xmp file provides details of all the changes made on the laptop but not the history states themselves.

Watching Seth and Michael's video, episode 9 implies that the xmp files should include the history states although I don't think this is said expressly.  Is my experience correct or am I missing something?

The alternative is to edit on the laptop and then export to a catalog.  Importing  this new catalog into the main catalog will include all the history states.  The drawback to this method is that the exported catalog always ends  up in its own folder.  You then have to move the files where you want them with the extra problem of manually showing LR where the files have been moved to.  This is OK for one or two folders but if you have lots of them it is time consuming and a bit frustrating.  This latter approach is useable although I note what Seth says about never importing from a catalog.

Does anyone have a simpler way of achieving this?

Thanks

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 10:56:05 am »

I don't know what's in the video, but history steps never get saved to XMP. If you think they are of any value (IMO only the slider values are) then you need to use export as catalogue. It's designed for workflows where you want to move work from one computer to another. As for your problem with folders, show the parent folder and just relink that.

An alternative is the colostomy bag approach where you  put the catalogue on an external drive and move it between machines.

John

pflower

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 11:41:46 am »

Quote from: johnbeardy
I don't know what's in the video, but history steps never get saved to XMP. If you think they are of any value (IMO only the slider values are) then you need to use export as catalogue. It's designed for workflows where you want to move work from one computer to another. As for your problem with folders, show the parent folder and just relink that.

An alternative is the colostomy bag approach where you  put the catalogue on an external drive and move it between machines.

John

Thanks for that.  Obviously I got the wrong end of the stick.  I find the history states to be extremely helpful - particularly the notification that the image has been printed.  Looks like I'll just have to keep on exporting and importing catalogs.

Philip

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 02:21:10 am »

Yes History states are catalogue or database items if you like. Too bad that XML doesn't write History into the file or side car as we all will be using LR in the future  
I just export catalogues and update the other computers LR catalogue without copying the Negative files.

John Caldwell

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 12:49:05 pm »

I'm also struggling with this. In an attempt to Import From Catalog both image files and History states, I am having the two recurring problems below. Part of my trouble is operator error, I will bet.

1) Image file corruption. The Corruption presents as images entering LR with large areas of white containing colored lines, or as "Lightroom Cannot Import The Following Files" (no explanation given.) If rather than import from catalog, I simply drag the images (those described in the Import Catalog) into LR, there is no corruption or import failue - but I of course loose all the history states.

2) During Import From Catalog, the images files can't be directed to the folder architecture I intend. Instead the files continue with the architecture used in the Source Catalog folder - like "Source Catalog/Pictures/2009/2009-10-14". What I want is for the images within that 2009-10-14 folder to be copied to Destination Drive/Images/2009/2009-10-14".

If I understand Neil correctly, I can manually copy the source catalog files to the destination folder of choice, and then Import From (Source) Catalog to import the history states for those files. If that can work, I might get around this corruption issue, and also locate the image files as intended. Am I on the right track, in your views? Is this import corruption and failure commonplace? (OSX, LR 2.5).

Many thanks,

John Caldwell
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 12:51:16 pm by John Caldwell »

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 04:35:53 pm »

I have had some files corrupted and I didn't know why. Usually it was after transferring file outside of LR. Now I only move files within LR if they are to be maintained .

Transferring the catalogues has been flawless between all my MAcs and PC too.

John Caldwell

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 05:40:46 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
I have had some files corrupted and I didn't know why. Usually it was after transferring file outside of LR. Now I only move files within LR if they are to be maintained .

Transferring the catalogues has been flawless between all my MAcs and PC too.

Yes, Neil. Not sure where the problem lies regarding image file corruption when Importing From Catalog, in my hands. I may have too many drives attached to my system during importation.

How do you, by the way, define the location for your files on your destination drive when importing from a catalog/files residing on an external drive? In my experience, when I Export As Catalog, image files are always present in a "Pictures" folder which sits alongside the exported Catalog file. I'm trying to import the image file contents of that Pictures folder to my main image drive, and have the year-month-date folder architecture observed when importing those files during Import From Catalog. What always happens instead is that the "Pictures/Year/Year-Month-Date" architecture is maintained, with no option I can identify to the contrary. It's understood that we can move a folder's contents within LR after import, but I was hoping to eliminate that step. It takes quite a while to move large files within LR, even when the files already reside in a nearby folder on the same drive.

Cheers and many thanks,

John-
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:56:59 pm by John Caldwell »

John Caldwell

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 04:24:56 pm »

Answering my own question, the Import From Catalog will always, it appears, recapitulate the folder/file architecture referenced in the source catalog at the destination. While you Choose the parent directory destined to receive the files at Import, the folder architecture will be recapitulated at the Chosen destination. What I've found is the I can fake the desired folder/file architecture in the source catalog to mimic that in the destination catalog, thereby avoiding the need to move files after Importing From Catalog.

Above I reported image file corruption that occurred sporadically during Import From Catalog transfers. What I found was that by removing inessential firewire (800) drives from my system prior to importation, the corruption problem has not repeated.

IHTH,

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up