Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 firmware update  (Read 25162 times)

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
Epson 9900 firmware update
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 03:08:24 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
OK .. my brain fog is gradually lifting ... the improvement in the AID system is not really connected to the new menu setting ... more of an "under the hood" improvement.  The new menu setting just offers another option.  I may turn ANC back on and run it normally for a while to see what happens.

Hmm, that seems to make sense. Please keep us posted with your findings...
Thanks
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 05:12:48 am by Ionaca »
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

JasonHopkins

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 09:24:32 am »

Hi Peeps,

anyone experiencing a better epson experience after this update?

My machine is still going into a clean after swapping blacks and wasting circa 14ml of ink, used to be 20ml+ and from most ink channels - it is now draining just MK and PK.

Anybody else have info?

Thanks,

Jason

Farmer

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 09:32:27 pm »

OK guys - some more information posted officially.

Go to http://tech.epson.com.au/downloads/

Then choose Large Format Printers from the drop down list, then choose 7900 or 9900 from the next drop down.  Click Continue, then click Search (without changing any options), then click Continue.

The document is called Firmware_1699_Pro7900_9900_Release_Notes.pdf
Phil Brown

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 11:55:54 pm »

Quote from: Farmer

Then choose Large Format Printers from the drop down list, then choose 7900 or 9900 from the next drop down.  Click Continue, then click Search (without changing any options), then click Continue.

Interesting ... pretty much like you described it.  Improved AID functionality, new menu allows control of the process.

Couple of things of interest ...

"If you choose to switch the AID mode off, it will only operate after initial ink
installation and after a black ink change.  At all other times, the system will be entirely
manual and reliant upon the user checking the nozzle check pattern and performing
cleaning if desired."

I'm not sure this is obvious from the menu which I believe is still worded the same, but actually supplies the functionality that most users assume when they select the option to disable ANC.  Previously this only turned off ANC before printing a print, now it basically turns it off completely.  I assume if you select this option, the new menu options are irrelevant, since no ANC will be performed.  As far as black ink swaps, you can still do this through service mode to avoid an auto cleaning, then normally a CL1 is all that is necessary if there happens to be a clog.

Note the new default setting of 1 will also not ever trigger a clean from an auto nozzle check before printing a print, it will just warn you if it detects a clog then continue to print.  To me it sounds like completely disabling ANC is not the best option any more, better to use this set to 1 and if the ANC reports a clog, you could abort the printing process.  You actually have to select option 3 to return the printer to its previous functionality ... of course if the AID is improved even that might be a good option now.

Overall sounds like some nice changes.  I wish they would find some way to address how often the printer is clogging (my Cyan channel has been 100% "clogged" every time I start the printer up the last 4 times, with no other clogs ...just doesn't make sense).  All the attention to auto nozzle checking and too many cleanings, if the printer clogged as little as my 3800 or my 11880 it really wouldn't matter.  But at least it has become manageable and these changes gives the user a  lot more control.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 02:05:45 am by Wayne Fox »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 02:03:07 am »

deleted .. unsure what happened to get a duplicate post.  Sorry
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 02:03:52 am by Wayne Fox »

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 03:47:02 am »

Quote from: Farmer

Thanks for that, indeed very interesting and after nearly a year I am starting to feel more positive about my Epson 7900. I guess we will soon know whether this update really makes a difference in practice! [Update1: my optimism was premature. See my later post below.]

Quote from: Wayne Fox
To me it sounds like completely disabling ANC is not the best option any more, better to use this set to 1 and if the ANC reports a clog, you could abort the printing process.  You actually have to select option 3 to return the printer to its previous functionality ... of course if the AID is improved even that might be a good option now.

Yes, this makes good sense to me. I think I will re-enable my ANC for "every job" and set the "Auto Cleaning Times" menu to 1. If this means I don't need to print out a nozzle test pattern before every print then this will save a lot of time. [Update1: Nope, this didn't work out. See my later post below.] I rarely use photo black but I will use the service mode method and CL1 cleaning for the odd occasion that I do swap.

So maybe there is some hope at last for the clogs but we shall see.  [Update1: my optimism was premature. See my later post below.]

Now Epson just need to sort out the Leopard/Snow Leopard 7900/9900 driver mess when printing profiling test charts with Photoshop CS4.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:19:00 am by Ionaca »
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 04:22:58 am »

Quote from: Ionaca
Yes, this makes good sense to me. I think I will re-enable my ANC for "every job" and set the "Auto Cleaning Times" menu to 1. If this means I don't need to print out a nozzle test pattern before every print then this will save a lot of time. I rarely use photo black but I will use the service mode method and CL1 cleaning for the odd occasion that I do swap.

Well it didn't take me long to change my mind about this option! I ran a test print and  it resulted in the message on the printer LCD  "Cleaning Please Wait". I waited about three minutes while the printer made a lot of whirs and clicks. I can't believe it was just running an AID check, it sounded more like it was cleaning. The LCD then came up with the message "Some nozzles are closed" and then ran the print without giving me the option to abort. So much for saving time ink and paper. If there is no abort option if "Auto Cleaning Times" is set to 2 either then I see no point in using either of these two new options as I don't want to run the risk of producing a print with banding. So as usual, my ANC is going to stay disabled and I will continue with the tried and tested method of a manual nozzle test pattern and CL1 cleaning as required.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 04:52:53 am by Ionaca »
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

Guigui

• http://
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 05:57:30 am »

Well it didn't take me long to change my mind about this option! I ran a test print and  it resulted in the message on the printer LCD  "Cleaning Please Wait". I waited about three minutes while the printer made a lot of whirs and clicks. I can't believe it was just running an AID check, it sounded more like it was cleaning. The LCD then came up with the message "Some nozzles are closed" and then ran the print without giving me the option to abort. So much for saving time ink and paper. If there is no abort option if "Auto Cleaning Times" is set to 2 either then I see no point in using either of these two new options as I don't want to run the risk of producing a print with banding. So as usual, my ANC is going to stay disabled and I will continue with the tried and tested method of a manual nozzle test pattern and CL1 cleaning as required.
That's exactly what I thought when I read the patch notes.
In the event that an AID check does detect a blockage, the printer will display a warning on the LCD panel that Some Nozzles Are Clogged and then continue printing without performing any cleans.
What kind of logic is that ? Warning you that there are clogs and then let you waste ink & paper ?

JasonHopkins

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 06:06:36 am »

Hello everybody,

this may sound like a dim question but where do you find the CL1 cleaning function?

I cannot find it in the Maintenence Mode (hold pause button on boot), is there another combination for the Service Mode?

Also my machine keeps sayin "Some Nozzles Are Clogged" even though they are not, so I am going to ignore this for a while.

I have asked Epson to update my machine to an earlier Firmware version, not sure if they can/will do it.

I am pretty sure that all of these black swap problems started in June or July.

I also have an issue with 1 metre prints coming out 3mm short, which again I believe is due to a firmware update as I have older untrimmed prints that are exactly the correct size, but are not correct if I print them now.

What is the point of a firmware update if your machine goes forward 1, back 2 steps?

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 06:24:50 am »

Quote from: JasonHopkins
this may sound like a dim question but where do you find the CL1 cleaning function?
I cannot find it in the Maintenence Mode (hold pause button on boot), is there another combination for the Service Mode?
Also my machine keeps sayin "Some Nozzles Are Clogged" even though they are not, so I am going to ignore this for a while.
I have asked Epson to update my machine to an earlier Firmware version, not sure if they can/will do it.
I am pretty sure that all of these black swap problems started in June or July.
I also have an issue with 1 metre prints coming out 3mm short, which again I believe is due to a firmware update as I have older untrimmed prints that are exactly the correct size, but are not correct if I print them now.

CL1 is under Service Mode. Hold down the OK, Menu and Down buttons and then switch the printer on.
(In Service Mode, you need to use your host computer to print a nozzle test pattern.)

Many people have experienced the 7900/9900 message "Some Nozzles Are Clogged" even though they are not since November last year. Many people disable the ANC for this reason.

An Epson UK technician regressed my 7900 firmware when he came to "look" at my printer earlier this year.

As Wayne suggests, do the black swap in Service Mode and you should avoid wasted ink.

Are your short prints just with canvas are is this with paper prints too?
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

JasonHopkins

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 08:29:23 am »

CL1 is under Service Mode. Hold down the OK, Menu and Down buttons and then switch the printer on.
(In Service Mode, you need to use your host computer to print a nozzle test pattern.)

Many people have experienced the 7900/9900 message "Some Nozzles Are Clogged" even though they are not since November last year. Many people disable the ANC for this reason.

An Epson UK technician regressed my 7900 firmware when he came to "look" at my printer earlier this year.

As Wayne suggests, do the black swap in Service Mode and you should avoid wasted ink.

Are your short prints just with canvas are is this with paper prints too?

Ionaca,

thanks for the info - tried searching for the key combination without luck.

Does swapping ink in this mode completely stop the obscene wastage?

What firmware version do you have on your machine, is it a pre-summer version?

I am losing 3mm over a metre on most paper media (Hahnemuhle and Canson) other than thin cheap paper.

I noticed in the Service Mode an input for mechanical adjustment of roll feed which reads 990.60mm - I may try a few experiments with this setting.

Like I say I think a lot of my problems started in June when I updated the machine firmware.

Thanks

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 08:35:14 am »

Quote from: JasonHopkins
Ionaca,

thanks for the info - tried searching for the key combination without luck.

Does swapping ink in this mode completely stop the obscene wastage?

What firmware version do you have on your machine, is it a pre-summer version?

I am losing 3mm over a metre on most paper media (Hahnemuhle and Canson) other than thin cheap paper.

I noticed in the Service Mode an input for mechanical adjustment of roll feed which reads 990.60mm - I may try a few experiments with this setting.

Like I say I think a lot of my problems started in June when I updated the machine firmware.

Wayne indicates that there is less ink wastage if you swap blacks in service mode. I can't verify this because I only use Matte black on my Epson 7900. I use an HP Z3200 for my canvas and photo printing.

I am on the latest firmware version.
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

JasonHopkins

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 09:04:24 am »

Wayne indicates that there is less ink wastage if you swap blacks in service mode. I can't verify this because I only use Matte black on my Epson 7900. I use an HP Z3200 for my canvas and photo printing.

I am on the latest firmware version.

Thanks

mcmorrison

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 12:38:54 pm »

Hello Wayne,

I too am seeing the cyan channels go, sometimes 100%. Not other channels, just cyan.

Best,

Michael Morrison

GeoffM

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 01:54:50 pm »

Quote from: mcmorrison
Hello Wayne,

I too am seeing the cyan channels go, sometimes 100%. Not other channels, just cyan.

Best,

Michael Morrison

Interesting...

Add me to that list as well. I powered on my 7900 for the first time in about three weeks on Sunday, ran a nozzle check and only the cyan channel had blocking (but very little). I was actually quite pleased given how long the printer had been idle, and as usual, a CL1 on that channel pair cleared it.

Geoff

Mulis Pictus

• http://mulispictus.cz
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 03:07:53 pm »

Quote from: GeoffM
Interesting...

Add me to that list as well. I powered on my 7900 for the first time in about three weeks on Sunday, ran a nozzle check and only the cyan channel had blocking (but very little). I was actually quite pleased given how long the printer had been idle, and as usual, a CL1 on that channel pair cleared it.

Mine 7900 was doing that as well. At some point the cyan was missing all or about half of lines in nozzle check nearly every start. It was before I started using service menu and the cleans were very aggressive, 20 - 30ml. To me it looked as air bubbles somewhere in the cartridge or lines, resulting in low pressure?

deanb2010

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 11:47:05 pm »

Like others, I've had the cyan channel drop out.  I can have a perfect nozzle check, print a single 11x14 print, and redo a nozzle check and the channel is gone, 100%. I have not been able to detect any cause or pattern.  Yesterday, a CL1 cleared it but then the Yellow channel went out. It took a CL2 to get running again.  I am confident this is not a clog but some kind of printer issue. It has happened on the Photo Black one time, but usually the Cyan.

I have been running the printer in the service mode... I wish Epson would put the CL1,2,3,4 options at the regular menu, it would make things a lot more pleasant.  I have installed the new firmware, and believe it is a step in the right direction, but until further reports come in I don't intend to trust the Auto Clean.

I have a question for those who may know.  How do you figure out how much ink is wasted during a clean or Matte/Photo Black swap?

Thanks.

snickgrr

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2009, 12:05:51 am »

I also today turned on the printer after probably a month and half of non use.  Only the cyan channel showed some few minor blocks.

Ray

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 12:06:37 am »

Thanks for that, indeed very interesting and after nearly a year I am starting to feel more positive about my Epson 7900. I guess we will soon know whether this update really makes a difference in practice!

After 4 or 5 years (can't recall when I bought it) I'm beginning to feel more positive about my Epson 7600. It seems to work well every time I switch it on without additional head cleaning and stuffing around with yellow bands to clear the cyan contamination.

It simply seems to have sttled down into reliable performance, and I haven't updated the driver in years. There's no recent update available. What the heck's going on? You can see I have little incentive to upgrade to a 7900 with all these reports of difficulties.

Could it be, these wide-format machines are designed to be used every day for about 8 hours, trouble free? If you're an amateur and use the printer infrequently, you've got problems.

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 03:14:45 am »

Quote from: Ray
After 4 or 5 years (can't recall when I bought it) I'm beginning to feel more positive about my Epson 7600. It seems to work well every time I switch it on without additional head cleaning and stuffing around with yellow bands to clear the cyan contamination.

It simply seems to have sttled down into reliable performance, and I haven't updated the driver in years. There's no recent update available. What the heck's going on? You can see I have little incentive to upgrade to a 7900 with all these reports of difficulties.

Could it be, these wide-format machines are designed to be used every day for about 8 hours, trouble free? If you're an amateur and use the printer infrequently, you've got problems.

I understand your thoughts completely. I bought a 9600 when it first came on the market and in all this time it only had missing nozzles once or twice a year. The only reason I bought the 7900 was for speed. If I had known it was going to be such a time waster I wouldn't have bought it. I also have a Z3200 and it just works. Maybe I should have bought a Canon for the high speeds.
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up