Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Largest Library / Catalog size  (Read 1937 times)

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
Largest Library / Catalog size
« on: October 06, 2009, 06:37:03 pm »

What would be a reasonable expectation be for the largest library / catalog size I could integrate into Lightroom ?

I've been using Extensis Portfolio for nearly a decade for very basic cataloguing and internal image search needs
but they have been dropping the ball on supported cameras (still no support for 5DMkll or D700) and it's time to cut and
run.

While not a dedicated DAM application can Lightroom handle a Library of, say,  +/-  1000,000 images if all are centrally located on one
drive or raid setup?

Thanks,
Mark

www.marktomalty.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 06:47:07 am »

There are people who don't know much about databases who would advise you that the figure is 10000, or 15000, or 30000 - in other words, whatever they think is a big number (even one per shoot - doh! ).

Adobe don't publish a number, and I don't think there is any known limit. Anecdotally, my main test catalogue is 80k and runs OK on an oldish machine, but I often help a friend whose catalogue was 210k last time I looked, and grows with up to 1500 keepers per week (he has a 5k a week habit). Again, it's not on the latest machine and is working quickly enough for a very busy pro.

LR does stretch a lot of aspects of any system, but I'd advise you to see how it works with a million images - and report back!

John
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 06:47:36 am by johnbeardy »

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 11:09:04 am »

I'd advise you to see how it works with a million images - and report back!

Gimme a week or two.  I've just locked down the motordrive  and will report back in a week.  :>))

Thanks for the info.  I'll take your anecdotal findings over the company line any day.

Mark
www.marktomalty.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up