Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple 24" Cinema.. should I  (Read 3214 times)

runee

Apple 24" Cinema.. should I
« on: October 03, 2009, 12:03:58 pm »

So.. I've looked around abit, and searched this site - but it's hard to find a definite answer to the quality of this display for photographic work. I found a thread, with the majority of people dismissing it - but this was just after it was announced - and before anyone tried it out, so I wont hold those remarks to much value really.

The thing is, I am currently using a midrange HP monitor, which calibrates well (Spider3) but has some serious limitations, like obvious brightness and color shifts depending on viewing angle etc. and I reeeeeally need something better, where I don't have to sit perfectly still for 6 hours to get work I can count on. Funds, however, does not agree with me on upgrading just now.

As it happens, I have been offered the Apple Cinema LED 24" at a really favorable price (less than 50% of retail) - so question is, is it "good enough for pro-work". I have no doubt it will be better than my current setup. The glossy screen I can get used to; provided I can calibrate the screen properly with my spyder3.

But, will I get unhappy with it and look into replacing it next summer when funds permits - or will I be able to perform my work on it until it dies or needs "Natural replacement"?

Oh, and BTW: I got a good deal on a Philips 26PFL5604H as well, even cheaper.. Is that even worth considering ? I would guess not as it's not really a dedicated display meant for anything but viewing TV on
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:09:41 pm by runee »

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 03:27:02 pm »

Quote from: runee
As it happens, I have been offered the Apple Cinema LED 24" at a really favorable price (less than 50% of retail) - so question is, is it "good enough for pro-work". I have no doubt it will be better than my current setup. The glossy screen I can get used to; provided I can calibrate the screen properly with my spyder3.

I'm sure the 24" Apple is great, and at that price, better than great. However, it ONLY works (as I understand it) with the newest version MacBook Pro. I'm guessing that if you consider the new MacBook Pro (which only comes with a glossy screen) good enough for pro work, so will be the new display (which is also only available in glossy).

I would personally have major problems buying a product so obviously engineered to require future product purchases from Apple. I have no idea/experience with Philips displays.

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 03:38:47 pm »

Quote from: HickersonJasonC
I'm sure the 24" Apple is great, and at that price, better than great. However, it ONLY works (as I understand it) with the newest version MacBook Pro. I'm guessing that if you consider the new MacBook Pro (which only comes with a glossy screen) good enough for pro work, so will be the new display (which is also only available in glossy).

I would personally have major problems buying a product so obviously engineered to require future product purchases from Apple. I have no idea/experience with Philips displays.

This is the first time I hear the new CDs only work with the new Macs. I always thought you only have to use an adaptor (microDVI to DVI or whatever) to have them work with older Macs. Puzzled...
Nikos

Plekto

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 06:01:33 pm »

The Apple panels are just re-badged Samsung or similar models with a fancy glass screen on top to improve the contrast artificially.    I'd just get the same thing for $300 or so from one of the other makers.

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 12:38:50 am »

Quote from: NikosR
This is the first time I hear the new CDs only work with the new Macs. I always thought you only have to use an adaptor (microDVI to DVI or whatever) to have them work with older Macs. Puzzled...

Read the reviews of this product at the apple store website. Quite a few people purchased these along with a new Mac Pro to find there isn't an adapter long enough to connect this to the tower. And judging from photos of the product, the cable won't be long enough for my one year old MBPro either, which has its DVI connection on the opposite side from the magsafe connection. They say right on the ad that it was built for the new Macbook Pro.

runee

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 05:24:57 am »

Well - this one comes with a standard DVI connection according to the specs I've got on this model, so I am not too worried about that (it'll be hooked up to a PC btw - I got a good deal on a macbook as well, but I really have no use for that... besides, would cost me a fortune to get Mac Licenses for all my software  )

Edit: Apparently the sales material I got had it wrong - it does not come with a standard DVI and yes, it only works with newer macbooks / iMac....

Incidently, I got a good deal on the iMac 24" as well - so I am thinking of installing a Windows 7 on that, connect the Cinema display as my secondary. With any luck, it'll be a good setup with two very similar screens.
Very propreitary really - but come to think of it, even though I have been assembling computers since I could use a screwdriver, everytime I have needed an upgrade for the last 8 years, I have been buying a whole new PC anyways...  so who knows, I might be happy with this.

the only thing I really fear, is the glossy screen...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:38:41 am by runee »
Pages: [1]   Go Up