Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much Hahnemuhle paper do you buy in a year & where?  (Read 8924 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
How much Hahnemuhle paper do you buy in a year & where?
« on: October 03, 2009, 09:43:44 am »

I'm in the process of putting together a portfolio. I plan to buy and use at least 30 rolls of Hahnemuhle papers over the next 8 to 12 months. I’ll probably buy 4-6 different types. If I buy them at one purchase, what approach should I use to get the lowest cost?

TIA

Rocco Penny

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 10:23:17 am »

Here's a surprise, but the lowest cost per roll in single roll purchases for me in a storefront was from Calumet in San Francisco.
I did take advantage of a sale.
30 rolls gives you bargaining power for sure.
I know if you dangle that sale in front of one of the reputable and already competitively priced internet warehouses, that volume will net a discount.
So maybe 3000+ turns into 3000-
that's alota cabbage
I hope you have good storage conditions cause that's alota paper too!

howseth

• http://howseth.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 01:50:17 pm »

Check em all out! I have bought Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin in 17" and 24" rolls from these suppliers: Booksmart Studios, Atlex, Inkjetart, Shades of Paper, It Supplies, Fine Art Inkjet Paper. If you are ordering so many rolls - go with the one that gives you the biggest discount. Why wouldn't you?

All have free shipping, I believe. I live in CA so I avoid CA dealers (no sales tax)

Howard
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 01:51:08 pm by howseth »

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 01:15:37 pm »

Thanks, i'll send out some email messages.

jdoyle1713

• http://www.shadesofpaper.com
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 08:55:16 pm »

Quote from: Justan
Thanks, i'll send out some email messages.
Hey Justan

Email everyone else.. Than call me Since I know My company "Team Shades" is one of the top us resellers ( There is no Official Ranking ) I will tell you if the numbers you are getting are any good Or If I can do better. My rule of thumb is not to email quotes out so I can be shoped! Once I set a price thats my customers price unless the Manufacture has a price increase! Your about a month late since Hahnemuhle Prices all went up on Sept. 1st ( The Crazest Price increase I have ever seen )! Sometimes for me its not about a one time sale its about a long lasting "Team relationship" Because If you win than we win and everyone is happy!

Cheers
Jim Doyle
http://www.shadesofpaper.com
Jim Doyle
[url=http://www.shadesofpaper.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 12:10:51 am »

I'll second the suggestion to mail around and asked. I worked with Jim from Shades of Paper on a much smaller (4 box) order for some Ilford GFS 8.5x11" cut sheets and he gave me a very nice price.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 12:23:17 am »

I dont want to hijack this thread.. but I would love to be able to purchase from Shades of Paper - But the shipping cost to Australia is prohibitive (Jim can you do anything on shipping?).

I need a roll of 17" Hahnemuhle PhotoRag Baryta for a project - shades of papers price is great - but the fedex shipping is another $50 US blowing it out of the water.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:28:42 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

jjlphoto

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 12:18:22 pm »

I've tried many over the years, currently Shades of Paper has been great for me. I recommend them.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:18:44 pm by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

petermarrek

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 02:08:10 pm »

Last year I purchased 4 rolls from Shades of Paper. The boxes were slightly damaged (paper described as damaged), paper was fine. Shipped to Canada at a reasonable price. Keep your eyes open for deals Most of the rolls were less than a quarte of the normal price. Thank you forklift drivers . Peter
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:03:15 am by petermarrek »

DanielStone

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 07:28:13 pm »

definitely do some calling around. Tell them what you want exactly, and get the skinny on what THEY want price wise. If they can't do what your want regarding prices, look elsewhere. Just to let you know, markup on paper is generally 100% when you walk into a store. I know this because I sold lots of paper and ink at a (if not thee) major camera store here in LA for over a year, no, NOT Calumet. I don't say names .

try some sheets of the papers you're looking at, if you already haven't. Hahnemuhle makes sampler packs with 2-3 sheets of each in the package. 8.5x11.

but for an order of 30 rolls or so, you should not ask, but DEMAND a huge discount. just remember, if a place doesn't want to play YOUR game (and you have the cash remember), you can go somewhere else. Some call this cutthroat, I call it smart business practice. If you can get the same product from someone for 25-40% less than retail, why get only 10% off if that is what someone offers you? Leaves more cash in your pocket. I'd often give nice discounts up to 25% or so when I'd sell to large buyers of ink and paper. They appreciated it. And I told them what I was doing. I believe in transparency with business. I was told not to do this, I never showed wholesale price, but I'd let them know what I could do, and it was generally 10% lower than my co-workers. They then ASKED for me BY NAME when they came back to get more, because they knew I'd take care of them and get them what they wanted, when they wanted it.

Go with a company that cares, and GET NAMES. ALWAYS GET NAMES when dealing with orders on the phone like this. Names=buyer leverage. Names=you getting what you want, and not getting the run-around when getting status of your order.

But you probably already know this, so its old hat for you. I just hate seeing people lose money when they should stand up for themselves and their businesses. Especially when its photographers and artists, many of whom don't know much about smart business.

not saying that your not good in business . I don't even know you.

best of luck with your purchase though!

-Dan
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 07:34:49 pm by DanielStone »

jdoyle1713

• http://www.shadesofpaper.com
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 11:02:34 pm »

Dan

wow.. What a wrong statement..I don't know you and I don't know who you worked for but you really have no idea of what the actual costs are.. If there was a 100% markup in paper I would be rich and Fat..and not even take offense to such a stupid statement!!!!!!!Again the last post on another thread .. anyone selling canon inks for less than 75.00 heck Thats almost cost!! after shipping thats a loss leader..If any manufacture reads this and you have a paper that I can make 100% on please do not hesitate to call me!!! I am in!! ( and I Know you are out here )

Here's to 100%
Jim Doyle
Jim Doyle
[url=http://www.shadesofpaper.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 11:58:50 pm »

I order from Shades of Paper when I need the paper quickly. Even with the shipping to New Zealand  the price is fairly reasonable and it arrives scarily fast. Good friendly service.
David

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 04:43:24 am »

I just received the anniversary 50 sheet leather portfolio box of Hahnemuhle photo rag baryta from Booksmart shipped to Australia in 4 days for a really awesome price. Very happy with the speed and service and packaging was exceptional.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

DanielStone

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 10:13:25 am »

Quote from: jdoyle1713
Dan

wow.. What a wrong statement..I don't know you and I don't know who you worked for but you really have no idea of what the actual costs are.. If there was a 100% markup in paper I would be rich and Fat..and not even take offense to such a stupid statement!!!!!!!Again the last post on another thread .. anyone selling canon inks for less than 75.00 heck Thats almost cost!! after shipping thats a loss leader..If any manufacture reads this and you have a paper that I can make 100% on please do not hesitate to call me!!! I am in!! ( and I Know you are out here )

Here's to 100%
Jim Doyle

sorry if I scared you, but its true. I wouldn't have written it if it wasn't. I'm not that kind of guy. I'm here to learn, and tell people what I learned and experienced when I sold the stuff. Its helped me now (I'm no longer working there), to plan my purchases accordingly.

Now obviously ink wasn't marked up 100%, sorry if some people were led to believe that, but 2 major paper companies(they both make printers as well, and one makes cameras), the markup was ususally 75-100% off of the wholesale price paid. The price was listed on the comp when scanned, and the product info would pop up, listing the price paid for the item(from the manufacturer or distributor), and the selling price it was set at. Hahnemuhle paper wasn't like this, since it was more expensive anyhow.

And remember, this was in a store, not web sales. Therefore more of a markup to price was made versus the internet due to having more overhead costs (my pay, keeping the lights on,etc...)

sorry if I confused anyone, NOT ALL paper was 100% marked up, some(50-60%) was, the rest was more in the ballpark of 25-35%.

-Dan

Randy Carone

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 11:17:18 am »

Dan,

Glad to see you're back on Earth. Seemed like you got a bit carried away in your post about how to buy.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:18:36 am by Randy Carone »
Randy Carone

DanielStone

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 10:10:58 pm »

Quote from: Randy Carone
Dan,

Glad to see you're back on Earth. Seemed like you got a bit carried away in your post about how to buy.

well, I'm still here . Both feet planted firmly on the ground. I might have gotten a bit rambunctious, but I was firm in my statements. I'm not saying "go snow someone just because you've got a big order", but rather, do some searching, and try to get the best deal you can, without making the dealer feel like an idiot.

Its always nice for both the retailer and the client when both can get what they want, especially if the retailer can get a repeat client out of that deal, or one for life.

-Dan
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:12:53 pm by DanielStone »

deanwork

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 11:33:50 pm »

I would suggest Shades Of Paper dot com over anything we've every used in the last 10 years. They carry all the Hahnemuhle papers and all the other similar competitors and if you want shipping that is double boxed that will arrive intact without shipping errors, they do it right. They are also very competitive in price and will work with you in quantity orders. We have always been 100% confident in their service, price point,  and professionalism. Fine papers is their business.

john

Dan Wells

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 02:57:10 pm »

Quote from: deanwork
I would suggest Shades Of Paper dot com over anything we've every used in the last 10 years. They carry all the Hahnemuhle papers and all the other similar competitors and if you want shipping that is double boxed that will arrive intact without shipping errors, they do it right. They are also very competitive in price and will work with you in quantity orders. We have always been 100% confident in their service, price point,  and professionalism. Fine papers is their business.

john

I've been buying paper (mostly Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta) from Shades for the past year or so, and they do a pretty darned good job. Prices are as low as anything I've seen, and lower than most, free shipping is great (fast - usually a day or two to Vermont, and I've never gotten anything damaged, although I have received orders in several partial shipments over a period of 2-3 days), and Jason, who I've been buying from there, is great... The only problem I have with them is that they have occasionally screwed up an order - Fine Art Baryta instead of Photo Rag Baryta is one I got a few months ago. This WAS when they had just moved their warehouse, which I can imagine might have been chaotic, and my most recent order from them (last week) was fine, and a day quicker than expected - two rolls of PRB (and a couple of iPF ink cartridges) exactly as ordered. Overall, I second everybody's recommendation of Shades, and will continue to use them...

-Dan

Pages: [1]   Go Up