Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Post with some Recent Panoramic Works  (Read 10010 times)

JamesAndrew

First Post with some Recent Panoramic Works
« on: October 01, 2009, 05:46:37 pm »

Hello Forum! My name is James Andrew and this is m first post.
I got my first DSLR in July (Nikon D5000) and have been having an amazing time capturing images of all sorts, with a special love for panoramic landscape photography and the entire process surrounding it.
From the location hunt to the off-road travel, to the capture, and then to the processing and printing, I see it all as a wholeness and am amazed at the technologies available to us, like the Epson R1900 I just got after pushing my little Canon IP100 to it's limit.

Here are a few images I've made over the last two months presented in order with the most recent at the beginning.  I'm linking the full-size images since it looks like the forum software does a nice job of reducing them.

I welcome all constructive comments on all aspects of these images.

Be posting more soon I hope! :-)

-James Andrew

All images shot with my Nikon D5000 using either the stock 24-70 f3.5 or the amazing Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 which I had the pleasure of renting over a long weekend.

lbalbinot

• http://luisbalbinot.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 07:24:25 pm »

Welcome James!

Very nice! I like the colors on your panoramas. The locations are also very beautiful!

Regards,
Luis
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 07:25:17 pm by lbalbinot »
Luis F Balbinot
luisbalbinot.com

JamesAndrew

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 11:12:05 pm »

Thank you Luis. I've been working to make images that are very vivid, but not oversaturated.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 02:15:05 am »

Hi James, and welcome to the list!  There's some interesting work there; thanks for sharing it...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 01:52:00 pm »

I love them all... have not much more to say.

wirehunt

• Let's go shoot!
    • Lightchasers NZ
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 07:34:06 pm »

Well you've taken to photography very well, I think you'll go places with images like this.  Well done.  I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Chasing the light, what more could you want?

Another BLOG

Tim May

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 10:25:49 am »

Beautiful composition, I must say:)

JamesAndrew

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 10:34:36 am »

Hey thanks for the encouraging words. So far, I've been doing all this on my own so its nice to hear from some others that have a great appreciation for the art.

By the way, all of these images are tone-mapped from HDR, starting with 3 to 6 bracketed exposures. I didn't mention it at first, because I want my images so stand on their own, apart from being 'HDR'.

Sorta like how the best makeup artists can make a woman  look like she's not wearing makeup, but just looks beautiful.

I'm curious to know, is it apparent to your eyes that these are not single-exposure images?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 10:55:33 am »

Quote from: JamesAndrew
I'm curious to know, is it apparent to your eyes that these are not single-exposure images?
When I first looked at them, I assumed, because they were panoramas, that you had stitched two or more images to make each. And it was clear that you had processed each to get exactly the tones and saturation levels that you wanted. But they still handily passed my "plausibility" test for HDR images. I hate overdone HDR, but these looked lovely and quite convincing.

Nice work!

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

JamesAndrew

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 10:15:21 am »

Thanks Eric.

Its been a very intense process of learning and experimenting to learn a few things about HDR.

- Capture one perfectly exposed image that can stand on its own. i.e. if the perfect exposure is + 1/2 EV instead of 0, bracket around +1/2.
- When shooting panoramas, find the proper exposure and then bracket using manual mode instead of Aperture Priority to prevent the camera from re-metering each section of the panorama.
- Resist, resist, resist, the urge to boost saturation unnaturally when in the tone-mapping stage (i.e. adjusting the sliders in Photomatix)

Tim May

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 08:21:22 am »

Quote from: JamesAndrew
Hey thanks for the encouraging words. So far, I've been doing all this on my own so its nice to hear from some others that have a great appreciation for the art.

By the way, all of these images are tone-mapped from HDR, starting with 3 to 6 bracketed exposures. I didn't mention it at first, because I want my images so stand on their own, apart from being 'HDR'.

Sorta like how the best makeup artists can make a woman  look like she's not wearing makeup, but just looks beautiful.

That is okay James. These shots were first captured by your eyes and then the camera . Beautiful!
Pages: [1]   Go Up