Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 Ink  (Read 8316 times)

vjbelle

Epson 9900 Ink
« on: October 01, 2009, 05:23:47 pm »

I have recently, finally, replaced the starter cartridges that came with my 4 month old 9900 - that's how little printing I do!  I purchased the 150ml cartridges thinking that they would be sufficient for my printing volume.  Cartridge after cartridge failed on the first try...... I would get an error message saying that the cartridge was faulty and to replace it.  My dealer told me to push the opening of the cartridge with a paper clip or small screw driver to remedy the problem.  That worked on some of the cartridges but not on two of them - vivid magenta and yellow.  I have now gone through three cartridges of each color and have been a host to one of the most stupid repair individuals that I have ever met!  This guy wouldn't make a move without calling Epson who insisted that he do the cartridge bleed routine.  A small tube is connected to the inlet on the bottom of the cartridge and while blowing into that (at a controlled pressure) a small screw driver or paper clip is inserted into the outlet at the top of the cartridge so that any trapped air bubbles can be let out.  This guy tried this with two new cartridges resulting in ink leaking into and out of the cartridge.  What an unbelievable fiasco!!  Nobody, nowhere, nohow should have to go through that kind of routine to get an Epson cartridge to work!  The odd part of this is if I re-install the almost spent starter cartridges they are always recognized.  This, to me, says that there is a big time cartridge problem and maybe more so for the 150ml size.  

Have any of you experienced this type of problem and..... what size do most of you use?  Maybe I have to forget about using the 150ml.  One thing this repair person did mention was that Epson was having a tremendous problem with ink cartridges.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Epson 9900 Ink
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:56:01 am »

I have the 7900 and had problem with 1 cart . Same problem,air bubbles in the tank. Epson sent me a new one and has worked great since. I have all 700ml and only print once a week. Its the best pricing by far and the only thing I might change with the next batch is to get a smaller cart for at least the orange and green. They are way behind the others  by about 75%. So a 150 green will last as long as a 700 black. Which looks like 2 years or longer based on my present usage. I just may go smaller with all fo them. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 05:56:59 am by Dan Berg »

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
Epson 9900 Ink
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 06:27:23 am »

Quote from: vjbelle
I have recently, finally, replaced the starter cartridges that came with my 4 month old 9900 - that's how little printing I do! I purchased the 150ml cartridges thinking that they would be sufficient for my printing volume. Cartridge after cartridge failed on the first try...... I would get an error message saying that the cartridge was faulty and to replace it. My dealer told me to push the opening of the cartridge with a paper clip or small screw driver to remedy the problem. That worked on some of the cartridges but not on two of them - vivid magenta and yellow. I have now gone through three cartridges of each color and have been a host to one of the most stupid repair individuals that I have ever met! This guy wouldn't make a move without calling Epson who insisted that he do the cartridge bleed routine. A small tube is connected to the inlet on the bottom of the cartridge and while blowing into that (at a controlled pressure) a small screw driver or paper clip is inserted into the outlet at the top of the cartridge so that any trapped air bubbles can be let out. This guy tried this with two new cartridges resulting in ink leaking into and out of the cartridge. What an unbelievable fiasco!! Nobody, nowhere, nohow should have to go through that kind of routine to get an Epson cartridge to work! The odd part of this is if I re-install the almost spent starter cartridges they are always recognized. This, to me, says that there is a big time cartridge problem and maybe more so for the 150ml size.

Have any of you experienced this type of problem and..... what size do most of you use? Maybe I have to forget about using the 150ml. One thing this repair person did mention was that Epson was having a tremendous problem with ink cartridges.

sometimes - particularly with magenta cartridges for some obscure reason - cartridges are not recognised
putting the cartridge in and out 3 or more times can fix it
holding down the pause button also fixes it sometimes with/without power on / off
there seems to be some chips which have difficulty being seen by the printer
once 'seen' they continue to work fine without further problem
edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet

vjbelle

Epson 9900 Ink
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 01:42:34 pm »

Quote from: edwinb
sometimes - particularly with magenta cartridges for some obscure reason - cartridges are not recognised
putting the cartridge in and out 3 or more times can fix it
holding down the pause button also fixes it sometimes with/without power on / off
there seems to be some chips which have difficulty being seen by the printer
once 'seen' they continue to work fine without further problem
edwin
This turned out to be bad cartridges - three yellows and three vivid magenta in a row.... all bad and all 150ml.  A 350ml vivid magenta worked immediately and the yellow will be here on Monday.  Another call to Epson confirmed what the repair guy said that there were numerous cartridge issues and that Epson had nailed down the problem and was recalling current inventories.  I certainly am relieved that the printer itself is functioning fine but this cartridge issue is a real pita!  Hopefully Epson has resolved this issue.

LeiMeng

Epson 9900 Ink
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 05:11:47 pm »

My 9900's starter ink kit even has one cartridge failure.  The initial ink charging process cannot proceed.  I had to call Epson and waited a new one to come.  So my ink charge process lasted a few days long.

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Epson 9900 Ink
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 05:54:08 pm »

I had a magenta 350 ml not recognised on start up as well. Had to wait 3 days for one to be posted as a replacement.

Julie

rsands

Re: Epson 9900 Ink
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 06:35:53 am »

Time to dig up an old thread!

Anyone else still having the problems?  This is a joke from Epson that really dont seem to give a toss about us, their customers!  they are still shipping these airlocked faulty inks! i have had 3 oranges in a row, a faulty magenta, yellow and a burst yellow!

Why can't Epson start caring about their customers

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 08:40:29 am »

The 11880 carts have something which probably is used on the 9900 carts too. Looks like a damper but isn't a damper. On its way out from the cart pouche to the cart seal there's small elctronic detector that measures the electric conduction of the ink or measures the ink flow. Connected to the chip and by that to the printer. Not in the main stream of the ink but a small bypass. Why it is there is something I do not know but it might declare the cart to be empty or make refilling with another ink more difficult if that detector is critical enough on ink properties. If there's air trapped at that spot in a new cart it probably causes the problems reported. Tapping the cart could shift the air bell to another spot, too much air and that will not work. Pulling out a tiny bit of ink + air with a syringe may then be the solution.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

chocodog

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 09:23:08 am »

Rub the chip on the cartridge with an eraser, should work after that

Mussi_Spectraflow

• http://www.spectraflow.com
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 02:53:23 pm »

Yup seen this one a fair amount. 50% of the time it can be solved by "bleeding" the cartridge, but in a simpler manner. Hold ink cart over trash can, insert paper clip into opening and release a few drops of ink. At that point if it works great, if not then Epson is supposed to overnight carts direct to you. Most of the support people seem to just resolve the issue quickly by sending new carts. In other cases your dealer may offer to replace the carts, and deal with the return, we do this with many of our customers, because it really is a pain to open a new ink cart and have it fail. The word from Epson is that the issues is related to air bubbles in the ink carts. They are aware of this, and I think it's getting better. Although I agree that the failure rate is still a bit too high. FYI
Julian Mussi
 Spectraflow, Color Workflow

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 03:55:46 pm »

Epson must have some problem with vacuum filling these carts! With a good vacuum fill, there should be no air bubbles forming! Everytime they re-invent the wheel, when it comes to carts, there are bound to be problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up