Just received my Sony A900, 135 f1.8 CZ, and 85 f.14CZ. Overall, the build quality of the lens are 2nd to none!! I haven't seen craftsmanship in 35mm for a long long time! The build quality is much better than the much more expensive Mamiya/Hasselblad gear that I have used. Excellent job Sony! I can't wait to try it out this weekend. I have a gig on Sunday, so I plan to give it a run then.
Ok, one question. Why in the hell can't my pocketwizards work on this w/o a $100 adapter? That's horrible Sony!
Hence, my mixed feelings!
I will purchase the $100 adapter today, and give it a run in the studio before my gigs on Sunday. Hopefully, the image quality will quickly make me forget about throwing money down the drain on this adapter.
There is another solution! I have used Minolta cameras and Pocket Wizards professionally for years.
The way a did it was a little bit involved, but far less costly.
1) Go and look at cables -- cannot remember the brand, but I think it is Paramount. They do custom cables
2) Either purchase a dumb FS1100 or use velcro patches. There is no need to use the hot shoe.
3) Put you camera system together and figure out the shortest cable to get from where your pocket wizard is to where your PC sysnc socket is on the camera
4) Try the 'system' out with a standard-length cable.
5) If it works for you, get several custom cables from Paramount.
I always disliked the non-standard hot shoe myself. However my method of solving the problem has worked well for over 100 weddings.