Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inking question re Epson 3800  (Read 3102 times)

Peter Mellis

Inking question re Epson 3800
« on: October 01, 2009, 02:55:03 pm »

I've been making some 17X25 (16X24 image) prints on my 3800 using Inkpress Matte 60 (200GSM/10Mil). Several of these prints have fairly pronounced ripples running the length of the sheet; the ripples appear to line up with the ribs on the black portion of the output tray. The worst situation is on a print that has a lot of almost solid black, so I'm assuming that the paper just isn't up to absorbing the amount of ink being laid down. All of my printing on this machine, up to this point, has been on either Epson papers or Premier Photo Luster and I have not had any issues like this and haven't fiddled around with the settings for color density, drying time, etc. The rippling hasn't occurred on the smaller (8 1/2 X 10) test prints that were done on the same paper.

I'm not adverse to fiddling around a bit, but thought that I would inquire on here if diddling around with the paper configuration settings is the way to go, before I burn through some more ink and paper. Would it make sense to reduce both the color density and the drying time at the same time or try them separately; if separately, which one first?

duraace

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 03:07:41 pm »

Quote from: PeterAM
I've been making some 17X25 (16X24 image) prints on my 3800 using Inkpress Matte 60 (200GSM/10Mil). Several of these prints have fairly pronounced ripples running the length of the sheet; the ripples appear to line up with the ribs on the black portion of the output tray. The worst situation is on a print that has a lot of almost solid black, so I'm assuming that the paper just isn't up to absorbing the amount of ink being laid down. All of my printing on this machine, up to this point, has been on either Epson papers or Premier Photo Luster and I have not had any issues like this and haven't fiddled around with the settings for color density, drying time, etc. The rippling hasn't occurred on the smaller (8 1/2 X 10) test prints that were done on the same paper.

I'm not adverse to fiddling around a bit, but thought that I would inquire on here if diddling around with the paper configuration settings is the way to go, before I burn through some more ink and paper. Would it make sense to reduce both the color density and the drying time at the same time or try them separately; if separately, which one first?

Sounds like you need to make paper adjustments in the driver to accommodate the thickness and platen settings for this paper.  Does the paper manufacturer specify settings for the Epson 3800?  Epson paper is quite thin on average, so if this paper is thicker, then set platen Wide or Wider and set thickness to 5.  Maybe dial in a bit of extra drying time (can't hurt).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 03:08:15 pm by duraace »

Peter Mellis

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 03:35:05 pm »

The Inkpress paper's specs are about the same as Epson Enhanced Matte; printer is set for that, as per the paper manufacturer's instruction.

chilehead

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 07:43:55 pm »

Sometimes just letting the paper sit overnight will help.  Now that the paper has had a chance to rest a while, do you still have the ripples?  If you notice the ink pooling, and a general loss of detail in the dark areas of the image, then it might help to dial back the color density a bit, starting with -10.

Mark

Peter Mellis

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 10:03:13 pm »

Quote from: chilehead
Sometimes just letting the paper sit overnight will help.  Now that the paper has had a chance to rest a while, do you still have the ripples?  If you notice the ink pooling, and a general loss of detail in the dark areas of the image, then it might help to dial back the color density a bit, starting with -10.

Mark

It's been dry for over 24 hrs. at this point and still rippled. The ink didn't pool anywhere and detail is fine. I'll take another pass in a day or two, with the density cut back slightly and will increase the drying time. As of now, the heat is running in my house (wasn't when the prints were made);maybe that will help.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 10:26:01 pm »

Is the environmental humidity high in your area? If so, it'll take longer for the ripples to work themselves out. Usually I'll give VFA and EEM about 24 hours to flatten out.
Eric Chan

Peter Mellis

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 09:14:21 am »

The humidity might have been higher when the prints were done than it is now. I'm in Westchester County, NY and it's cold enough yesterday and today that the heat is running. I think that it was simply too much ink for this paper. The high point between each depression matches up with the ribs on the black part of the output tray. It's as if the weight of the ink was pulling the paper downwards, into the slight depression between each of the ribs.

The comment that I wrote above caused me think  about whether or not running it through the front feed might be worth trying. The manual says not to use the front feed for paper over 16 1/2 inches; is there a problem feeding 17 inch wide paper that way? Is there a trick to it?

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 10:09:30 am »

I'm pretty sure the printer won't let you feed 17" wide paper via the FF.

Even if you could, the thinness of the paper would mean you'd get ghosting artifacts. Print head too far away from the surface.

Even ignoring those issues, the FF is unlikely to solve the issue. If indeed the ink is too much for the base, then changing the feed won't address it.

You could try adjusting the ink settings in the driver, though there are tradeoffs in doing that (in terms of gamut, contrast, etc.).
Eric Chan

Peter Mellis

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 10:51:51 am »

Thanks Eric. The really irritating thing about this, is that I am printing ten pictures that will be hanging in a restaurant and really want the one that I am having the problem with to be part of the group. If I can't get it to the point where I am confident that it will be OK when framed, I'll have to select another image.

Failing the ability to get it to flatten out or produce a better print, I guess my only other option is to see if I can get it dry or cold mounted before I give up and move on.

While we are "talking", I'd like to thank you for the wealth of information on your web site. I've found it to be very useful (esp. the ABW profiles); you've done all of us 3800 owners/users a great service.

Peter

Jon Shiu

• http://www.jonshiu.com
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 12:44:54 pm »

Hi, I would just flatten it in a drymount press. In the past with inkjets, when it came out rippled, I used to curve the print in a inverted "U" shape and brace the ends with books, which takes out the ripples. After leaving it like this for a while, the print will dry and not have the ripples. Might be worth a try. Good luck!

Jon
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:42:29 pm by Jon Shiu »
Mendocino Coast in Black and White: [url

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 04:55:57 pm »

Hi Peter,

You are welcome.

Is there any chance of using another paper for this project?  Obviously that may also incur some hassle/expense, but it may help you avoid the issue altogether.
Eric Chan

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 05:44:22 am »

Quote from: PeterAM
I think that it was simply too much ink for this paper. The high point between each depression matches up with the ribs on the black part of the output tray. It's as if the weight of the ink was pulling the paper downwards, into the slight depression between each of the ribs.
Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but isn't there an easy solution to this problem? Put a flat sheet of some kind on the output tray, so the paper emerges onto a smooth surface. No ribs, even support, no waviness. You might have to watch the print emerging and slide the protective sheet (I'm thinking of a thin piece of card) under the leading edge, but that's easily done.

Just a thought.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:44:57 am by kikashi »

Peter Mellis

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 09:35:13 am »

Quote from: madmanchan
Hi Peter,

You are welcome.

Is there any chance of using another paper for this project?  Obviously that may also incur some hassle/expense, but it may help you avoid the issue altogether.

I need to wrap it up this weekend and can't quickly access another paper at this size. Really don't want to throw any more money at it either. Thanks.

Peter Mellis

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 09:39:51 am »

Quote from: kikashi
Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but isn't there an easy solution to this problem? Put a flat sheet of some kind on the output tray, so the paper emerges onto a smooth surface. No ribs, even support, no waviness. You might have to watch the print emerging and slide the protective sheet (I'm thinking of a thin piece of card) under the leading edge, but that's easily done.

Just a thought.

Jeremy

I thought of that also. I'm going to do another print, trying that and increasing the drying time in the printer. If that looks better but doesn't get it done, I'll do another with a -10% reduction in the inking also. If that doesn't make it, it's on to another picture so that I can get the project out of here.

Thanks to all for your input.
Pages: [1]   Go Up