Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow Leopard compatible Canon x100 drivers released  (Read 3588 times)

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Snow Leopard compatible Canon x100 drivers released
« on: October 01, 2009, 12:13:25 pm »

Canon was able to release their 64 bit, Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6) compatible drivers for x100 printers a little ahead of schedule this morning. The MCT Media Configuration Tool is also available on their website. The Photoshop and DPP printing plug-ins are unchanged and work with the new drivers. Drivers for the older x000 printers will be released on or before October 9th.

Canon USA downloads page:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...ownloadIndexAct
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 06:02:56 am »

Quote from: Onsight
Canon was able to release their 64 bit, Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6) compatible drivers for x100 printers a little ahead of schedule this morning. The MCT Media Configuration Tool is also available on their website. The Photoshop and DPP printing plug-ins are unchanged and work with the new drivers. Drivers for the older x000 printers will be released on or before October 9th.

Canon USA downloads page:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...ownloadIndexAct

Excellent - I made a few prints tonight on my 5100 w/snow leopard and the new drivers and all is good.

There is a bit of a gotcha though.. if you were previously using the workaround of selecting 'Vendor Matching' in the print driver dialogue to avoid double profiling don't forget to now set it to Color Sync and select the appropriate profile. You need to select the profile for the paper you are using both in the driver dialogue and in LR - which is sort of counter intuitive.... but hey.. it works :-) if you forget - or forget to update your template with the new setting then you might well get a lovely green tinged print like I did first time around *smacks hand on head*Oh.. and in the main tab under color mode: - turn color management 'OFF' - no color correction.

Edit-  the Above applies to printing from LR 2.5.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 06:04:10 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Scho

• http://photos.schophoto.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 12:54:30 pm »

Quote from: Josh-H
Excellent - I made a few prints tonight on my 5100 w/snow leopard and the new drivers and all is good.

There is a bit of a gotcha though.. if you were previously using the workaround of selecting 'Vendor Matching' in the print driver dialogue to avoid double profiling don't forget to now set it to Color Sync and select the appropriate profile. You need to select the profile for the paper you are using both in the driver dialogue and in LR - which is sort of counter intuitive.... but hey.. it works :-) if you forget - or forget to update your template with the new setting then you might well get a lovely green tinged print like I did first time around *smacks hand on head*Oh.. and in the main tab under color mode: - turn color management 'OFF' - no color correction.

Josh,

Thanks for posting this workflow.  I was able to print OK using the vendor matching procedure in 32 bit mode, but not in 64 bit.  Using your Colorsync workflow worked just fine in 64 bit mode using custom profiles.

Carl

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 04:31:02 pm »

FYI, the Snow Leopard compatible drivers for the older Canon iPF x000 printers were released this morning. So Canon is all up to date on Snow Leopard compatibility supporting 8 or 16 bit printing in 32 or 64 bit applications.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 07:17:33 pm »

I installed the iPF9000 driver 2.17 today for 10.6 and I don't see any of this behavior.

Printing with Application Manages Color both PS and LR properly defaults to ColorSync (grayed out) in the Color Matching dialog and in the Main/Color it defaults to No Correction.

With Indesign choosing Vendor Matching in the Color Matching dialog and then in Main choose Fast Graphic Process and Color set to No Correction.

All color output using the old printing path with Indesign or the new printing path with PSCS4 and LR looks correct and matches. And printing unmanaged profile target from both printing paths were identical, at least to my trained eye. I did not measure them though.

Turning off CM in the PSCS4 print dialog works correctly for printing profile targets. The driver correctly defaults to ColorSync and in the Main window default to No Correction.

With these new Canon driver it all seems to work perfectly.

Doyle

Josh-H

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 08:58:38 pm »

Printing with Application Manages Color both PS and LR

Where are you setting Application Manages color in LR?

When I open the print dialogue box in LR using the latest 5100 drivers colorsync is not greyed out in the Color Matching Dialogue Box.

Also - I have not yet tried printing targets from CS4 - but I started the process last night and it looked all screwy in the on screen preview so I didnt print the target - this was using the 16 bit print plugin. I will try it again tonight and print the target to see what I get.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 09:13:04 pm »

Where are you setting Application Manages color in LR?

When I open the print dialogue box in LR using the latest 5100 drivers colorsync is not greyed out in the Color Matching Dialogue Box.

In the Color Management section of LR when you choose a printer/paper profile you are choosing Application Manages Color. ColorSync will be selected and grayed out. If you choose Printer Manages Color then Vendor Matching will be select but grayed out.

The only time I see that these choices are not grayed out is the first time after opening LR and the select print settings. Which I think is a bug by the way.

Doyle

Josh-H

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 09:36:09 pm »

Quote from: DYP
In the Color Management section of LR when you choose a printer/paper profile you are choosing Application Manages Color. ColorSync will be selected and grayed out. If you choose Printer Manages Color then Vendor Matching will be select but grayed out.

The only time I see that these choices are not grayed out is the first time after opening LR and the select print settings. Which I think is a bug by the way.

Doyle

Ahh.. that explains it.. Because if I go back to the print dialogue after closing it the first time then - yes - colorsync is greyed out as you note.

Interesting that if you open LR and select print settings for the first time then colorsync is not greyed out - this being the case you can use the workflow I posted above to get the same result.

I think you are right - looks like a bug.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Josh-H

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 11:56:04 pm »

Doyle, would you mind posting the workflow you used to print a target for profiling?

Did you use the 16 but plugin in CS4 or the standard 8 bit printer driver?

Everytime I open the target for printing in CS4 w/ snow leopard and use the 16 bit plugin with color management turned off if I select the proof preview the colors go completely screwy..... Not sure what is going on.. but have read a few places now that printing targets from Snow Leopard (particularly with Epson printers - I am using a Canon IPF5100 though) is very problematic - see this page here: Printing Targets from Snow Leopard
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:13:11 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 12:15:36 am »

Did you use the 16 but plugin in CS4 or the standard 8 bit printer driver?
FWIW, both the plug-in and driver are capable of sending 8 or 16 bit data to the printer.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Josh-H

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 02:27:30 am »

Ok - tried printing a target from CS4 with the plugin and it worked perfectly with the new driver - The color looks all screwy in the proof preview on screen, but it prints perfectly.

Printing with Application Manages Color both PS and LR properly defaults to ColorSync (grayed out) in the Color Matching dialog and in the Main/Color it defaults to No Correction.

With Indesign choosing Vendor Matching in the Color Matching dialog and then in Main choose Fast Graphic Process and Color set to No Correction.

All color output using the old printing path with Indesign or the new printing path with PSCS4 and LR looks correct and matches. And printing unmanaged profile target from both printing paths were identical, at least to my trained eye. I did not measure them though.

Turning off CM in the PSCS4 print dialog works correctly for printing profile targets. The driver correctly defaults to ColorSync and in the Main window default to No Correction.

With these new Canon driver it all seems to work perfectly.

Ok I am not sure what is going on - maybee its the difference between the X000 and X1000 series drivers. I do see the behaviour you are talking about whereby Colorsync is not greyed out the first time you open up the print settings dialogue, and then subsequently greyed out on opening a second time - however, if I print with it greyed out as you are doing and select the profile in LR then I got bad screwed up prints (see my edit below about this as I fixed this issue). If I select the profile in LR and select color sync in the dialogue and choose the same profile (in my original workflow as outlined above) then I get correct prints. (See my edit below this issue resolved).

Of further interest is that I also see the opposite behaviour of what you note whereby if I select Managed by Printer in the color management section of LR and then open the Print settings dialogue Color Sync is selected and greyed out. If I select the profile in the color management section of LR and then open the Print Settings dialogue Vendor matching is selected and greyed out. The opposite of what you are seeing.

The way I see it is the print driver does not remember what profile or what setting is currently selected in LR's color management section when you first open the print module because I can induce the opposite behaviour (the same as you are describing) by exiting the print module with 'managed by printer' in LR's color management section.

Therefore I think the bug is that on first opening the print module the print settings dialogue does not see whatever you last had set in the color management dialogue in LR? (hence the reason the first time you open the print settings dialogue on coming into the print module nothing is greyed out).

Can you test at your end and see if you get the same results? (BTW: THis is all in 64 bit mode in LR - not 32).

Edit - sorry this post is getting long.. but I solved the reason I was getting screwed up prints if I printed with the profile correctly selected in LR's color management window and color sync selected but greyed out in the print settings dialogue - somehow my printer had been removed from the color sync utility. Re-installing the printer added it back in and now the prints are perfect - same results you are getting with the same workflow.

Still doesnt solve part two of the equation though.. the reason the first time the print settings dialogue is opened nothing is greyed out as noted above.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:46:20 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up