Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is 1Ds overkill for me?  (Read 3232 times)

Tony Collins

Is 1Ds overkill for me?
« on: December 26, 2003, 06:52:43 pm »

Your prints are selling, so your customers can't think your pictures aren't good enough. Like all quality issues, the law of diminishing returns applies. I would wait another year and spend half your 1ds fund on travelling to some new exotic locations in the sure knowledge that Canon will probably market the camera you need next year at half the price! :-)
Tony Collins

Dave Gurtcheff

Is 1Ds overkill for me?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 06:53:09 pm »

Thanks Jonathan. My wife and I are now in Texas visiting kids and grand kids for the holidays. When I return to NJ, I will take you up on your suggestion of down loading, printing and comparing.
Regards
Dave G

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Is 1Ds overkill for me?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 02:32:09 pm »

The 1Ds is definitely a stickler for good lenses; don't waste your time putting consumer-grade zooms on it. L glass is definitely worthwhile, although some people get good results with the "semi-pro" zooms like the 28-135 IS. If in doubt, try before you buy, or get your lenses from places with a good return policy.

Dave Gurtcheff

Is 1Ds overkill for me?
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003, 12:39:54 pm »

I'm an Amateur, but have had considerable success selling my "fine art" seascapes for years. I have been shooting film, and have had a professionally equipped darkroom since 1959. Until 2 years ago, I had been selling 16"x20" darkroom prints. I now sell digital prints. I started with an Epson 1270 (still have it), then added a 2200 because of longevity issues. I really missed the bigger prints, as 13"x19" in a 20"x24" mat and frame just didn't do it for me. I recently got an Epson 7600, so maximum print size is no longer an issue. My digital prints had been all based on scanned 35mm and medium format film using a 120 Sprintscan scanner. Last April I got a Canon 10D, and have not shot a single roll of film since. The 10D, for my kind of work, produces stunning 13"x19"s and (really) 20"x30" prints. But I want better. I down loaded the instruction manual for the 1Ds from Canon's site. Intimidating to say the least. I really want a full frame sensor and 11 Mpixels, but 90% of the other features ("bells and whistles"), I won't use. I don't need 45 auto focus points, multiple spot metering, lightning fast auto focus, etc. I really need a 10D body with a 1Ds sensor. I was considering waiting untill PMA in February, to see if Canon introduces an intermediate DSLR, but most folks think Canon will wait until Photokina next Sept to introduce something new. I guess my real question is, for the kind of work I do, will I see a noticable difference in 20"x30" prints between the 10D and 1Ds? I do mostly seascapes consisting of sunsets, dune shots with large expanses of sky etc. My web site at www.modernpictorials.com will give you an idea of the kind of shots I am interested in.  
Thanks for your input, and Happy New Year.
Dave Gurtcheff
Westmont & Beach Haven, NJ ???

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Is 1Ds overkill for me?
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2003, 03:26:24 pm »

I guess my real question is, for the kind of work I do, will I see a noticable difference in 20"x30" prints between the 10D and 1Ds?
Yes. At 8x10, the difference wouldn't be too noticeable, but at 20x30 it would be fairly easy to tell the difference, especially if comparing them side by side. With a 1Ds, 24x36" prints can be made that will stand up well to close examination. The 1Ds will pick up fine detail like the texture of sand on a beach, rocks, tree leaves, etc. significantly better than the 10D. I have two 1DS RAW files here. Download them, and try this: Make a 20x30 print using your preferred best practice workflow. Then make another print using the same workflow, but size image down to the 10D's pixel dimensions immediately after the RAW conversion, and then continue on with your normal workflow and print. Compare the prints. That will help you decide if the extra resolution is worthwhile.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Is 1Ds overkill for me?
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 07:24:31 pm »

Yes. At 8x10, the difference wouldn't be too noticeable, but at 20x30 it would be fairly easy to tell the difference, especially if comparing them side by side. With a 1Ds, 24x36" prints can be made that will stand up well to close examination. The 1Ds will pick up fine detail like the texture of sand on a beach, rocks, tree leaves, etc. significantly better than the 10D.
Jonathan,

I am sure this implies that the lens being used for the 1Ds is of a high enough quality to deliver the fine detail. With a run-of-the-mill consumer lens, thing might not be quite as noticable.

My point: you get the goods with a 1Ds if you buy primo glass.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

stevejac

Is 1Ds overkill for me?
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 05:44:32 pm »

Will Canon introduce an intermediate DSLR soon? Who knows. BUt they have said they're going to introduce 20 new cameras in 2004. So don't be surprised if they attack every niche. They'll have to with 20 different models.
Pages: [1]   Go Up