Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the 5D mk II shutter supposed to sound clicky or springy?  (Read 7130 times)

zlatko-b

• http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
Is the 5D mk II shutter supposed to sound clicky or springy?
« on: September 30, 2009, 10:47:17 pm »

I am comparing the shutter sounds between two Canon 5D mark II's ...

The first camera is from January, is well used, and the shutter sounds fairly crisp, like a click. (Not as crisp as on the 1-series, but not bad.) The second camera is brand new and the shutter sounds springy or sproingy. I can actually feel the springiness causing a bit of extra vibration in the camera body.

I'm wondering why there is such a difference, and whether the new camera may be defective (or possibly improved?).

Does your 5D mk II shutter make a "click" or more of a "sproing"?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 10:49:28 pm by zlatko-b »

JeanMichel

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 11:18:20 am »

Quote from: zlatko-b
I am comparing the shutter sounds between two Canon 5D mark II's ...

The first camera is from January, is well used, and the shutter sounds fairly crisp, like a click. (Not as crisp as on the 1-series, but not bad.) The second camera is brand new and the shutter sounds springy or sproingy. I can actually feel the springiness causing a bit of extra vibration in the camera body.

I'm wondering why there is such a difference, and whether the new camera may be defective (or possibly improved?).

Does your 5D mk II shutter make a "click" or more of a "sproing"?

"Sproing" goes mine too. After trading in my 5D, I wondered if the shutter of my 5DII was sounding 'right'. Since I know the salesperson ( a professional photographer herself) she brought her own 5D and 5DII to me and we played shutter music. The 5DII both sounded the same and different from her 5D. It has been just over two months since I got my 5DII, works great, and the shutter sound is what it is.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 11:19:04 am by JeanMichel »

zlatko-b

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 01:07:40 pm »

Thanks for your reply.  That's two more "sproings".  I guess it's not an anomaly.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 09:07:43 pm »

Quote from: zlatko-b
Thanks for your reply.  That's two more "sproings".  I guess it's not an anomaly.

Yep. "Sproing" here too. It's actually a very quiet shutter, far less obtrusive than my previous cameras. Worst offender: the original Eos-1Ds. It's got a thunderous combination of mirror slap and high-pitched rewind that's incredibly annoying. Shoot a single frame in a quiet church, and watch every head swing in your direction to see what the racket is.

zlatko-b

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 10:13:46 pm »

I've heard from 2 photographer friends via email.  One has two 5D mark II's and the other has three.  The funny thing is that among their 5DII's, both friends have examples of both types of shutter sound, clicky and sproingy.  I'm guessing Canon made a change to the shutter design at some point.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:18:40 pm by zlatko-b »

Sheldon N

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 10:57:54 am »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
Worst offender: the original Eos-1Ds. It's got a thunderous combination of mirror slap and high-pitched rewind that's incredibly annoying. Shoot a single frame in a quiet church, and watch every head swing in your direction to see what the racket is.

I noticed a big change going from the 1Ds II to the 1Ds III, no more of that loud CHA-CHEEEEEE sound, instead it's a quiet and crisp "clack".
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Gertjan

• http://www.miedema.dyndns.org/index-e.html
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 04:24:19 am »

Interesting topic.
I bought my 5DmkII in January, and in April the display broke down
Warranty repair took a very long time (the Dutch contractor for Canon repairs went bankrupt), in the end I was offered a new camera.
So, in September I got a new 5DmkII.

The First time I shot with it I thought “Huh, this one sounds very different from my first one”
Then I thought  “Is my memory playing games with me or is this real?”

Now I know, the First I had was a “click”, and the new one is a “sproingy”.
I must confess that I find it hard to get used to the  “sproingy”.
It sounds less solid, and definitely cheap. I also think that I feel more shutter vibration in the body. I guess time will tell if it will influence the durability of the camera.

Is there anybody who knows what was changed? Did Canon change factory location, used an other shutter or lube or what?

Regards, Gertjan Miedema.
Pages: [1]   Go Up