Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson USFA vs VFA  (Read 1898 times)

Conner999

Epson USFA vs VFA
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:55:55 pm »

Love VFA on my 3800 - B&W and color. Also like GFS and FB AL, but larger glossy B&W prints with heavy blacks (especially on leading end of paper) can get pizza tracks (@#$%^ next printer = no PW's). More so FB AL vs GFS but while A PITA, I prefer the look, depth and lack of metarism, etc of VFA prints anyway.

That said, am looking at adding USFA to the mix for a smoother option when desired and wanted some input from folks that have used both. Have read Eric C's material (and love his custom profiles), but would like some more thoughts on how the two papers compare before plunking down C$120 for a pack.

Thanks

Rob

madmanchan

• Web
Epson USFA vs VFA
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:56:23 pm »

Lack of OBAs means USFA is a little warmer than VFA. Noticeable if you hold them side by side. I do like the surface of USFA quite a bit. Can be printed on both sides, though not sure if that's helpful for you. I guess if you mess up on one print, you can use the other side as a test print. Gamut is a little smaller, and blacks not quite as rich, compared to VFA. I like USFA for images where there are large smooth areas that don't demand texture (e.g., smooth skies). I prefer VFA for images with snow, however.

Example of an image I prefer to print on USFA (or H. Photo Rag):

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/photo...3__MG_5965.html
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 10:05:20 pm by madmanchan »
Eric Chan

Conner999

Epson USFA vs VFA
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 10:04:14 pm »

Thanks Eric. I do wish Epson sold sampler packs...

madmanchan

• Web
Epson USFA vs VFA
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 10:40:37 pm »

You may want to check with Jim Doyle at Shades of Paper. He often puts together sample packs (I think 5 or 10 sheets). Obviously for a paper like USFA it'll still cost quite a bit, but not as much as getting a full retail pack ...
Eric Chan

Randy Carone

Epson USFA vs VFA
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 12:00:14 pm »

Conner,
Give me a call - we can put together sample packs for you.
Randy Carone

Conner999

Epson USFA vs VFA
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 02:38:43 pm »

Eric - good idea.

Randy - thanks much. I'll drop an email to your attention. Wish dealers here in Canada offered a custom sampler pack service - charge a healthy premium for breaking the packs and the effort, but it would be a great customer service. Dropping C$120 for a pack of 13x19 to wait with baited breath to see if the first print would indicate $120 well spent or blown seems stupid in this era.
Pages: [1]   Go Up